Parts Arrived: Gears, bearings & TLOK

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/05, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gearhead@November 5, 2005, 12:53 PM
40/10 = 4.0 ?
It seems to me that you should have had 41 teeth on the ring:
41/10 = 4.1

Doh!!!! I feel stupid.....I had my finger on number 41. They are 4.1's.
Old 11/5/05, 11:46 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 10:43 AM
Doh!!!! I feel stupid.....I had my finger on number 41. They are 4.1's.

Great!! So what do you think about the 150SHOT for permanent usage? I will admit that it does require alot more carefull consideration.. But once its setup properly and tuned carefully, it should help me to be alittle more competitive.. Remember Powerhouse ran a 12.3 with the 150SHOT.. So atleast this will be where I begin life in the 1/4 mile.. Also, my goal is to run 11.xx... With starting out at 12.3, this should help me to quickley get the car and tune inline to start making gains on the 11's rather quickley..
Old 11/5/05, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by MSP@November 5, 2005, 1:49 PM
Great!! So what do you think about the 150SHOT for permanent usage? I will admit that it does require alot more carefull consideration.. But once its setup properly and tuned carefully, it should help me to be alittle more competitive.. Remember Powerhouse ran a 12.3 with the 150SHOT.. So atleast this will be where I begin life in the 1/4 mile.. Also, my goal is to run 11.xx... With starting out at 12.3, this should help me to quickley get the car and tune inline to start making gains on the 11's rather quickley..

You have more experience with cars then I do, so starting at 150 should be no problem for you. I think your (our) main concern now is getting the car to hook properly. I have a front GT sway bar, and wondering if getting a rear one...with wider tires will do better than Scrmings approach with the lca, larger tires and lowering springs. I'm not questioning his setup, but more thinking of trying a different approach to get more information to the other 4.0 owners out there. I'm really curious to see how Jimp's car takes off as well. After all the posts I read from you guys, I think focusing on traction will be key in achieving good 1/4 mile times. We know our cars can handle the power with proper planning, its just putting it to the wheels on the launch.
Old 11/5/05, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 2:00 PM
You have more experience with cars then I do, so starting at 150 should be no problem for you. I think your (our) main concern now is getting the car to hook properly. I have a front GT sway bar, and wondering if getting a rear one...with wider tires will do better than Scrmings approach with the lca, larger tires and lowering springs. I'm not questioning his setup, but more thinking of trying a different approach to get more information to the other 4.0 owners out there. I'm really curious to see how Jimp's car takes off as well. After all the posts I read from you guys, I think focusing on traction will be key in achieving good 1/4 mile times. We know our cars can handle the power with proper planning, its just putting it to the wheels on the launch.
Actually a lot of guys will pull their front sway bar out when they go to the track..

Also I've put the stock springs back in... car squats a lot better now.. LOL!

I think the biggest thing will be a good set of DRs... which of course will bring on a whole new set of issues... LOL
Old 11/5/05, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by scrming@November 5, 2005, 2:27 PM
Actually a lot of guys will pull their front sway bar out when they go to the track..

Also I've put the stock springs back in... car squats a lot better now.. LOL!

I think the biggest thing will be a good set of DRs... which of course will bring on a whole new set of issues... LOL
Ok, I now that you mention, I do remember you mentioning you took out your springs. How would front sway bars affect my launch.....wouldn't it give me greater control to prevent fish tailing or anything like that. And what about rear sway bars? As for DR's, I don't think I'm ready for that...but in time will be.
Old 11/5/05, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 3:32 PM
Ok, I now that you mention, I do remember you mentioning you took out your springs. How would front sway bars affect my launch.....wouldn't it give me greater control to prevent fish tailing or anything like that. And what about rear sway bars? As for DR's, I don't think I'm ready for that...but in time will be.
I'm the one that told scrming about the front sway bar. The rear sway bar won't help your launch a whole lot. Removing or disconnecting the front sway bar will keep your front end from being tied together so tight and help with weight distribution. It would be better to remove it completely before you go to the track, it takes a little more weight off the front.
Old 11/5/05, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@November 5, 2005, 2:57 PM
I'm the one that told scrming about the front sway bar. The rear sway bar won't help your launch a whole lot. Removing or disconnecting the front sway bar will keep your front end from being tied together so tight and help with weight distribution. It would be better to remove it completely before you go to the track, it takes a little more weight off the front.
Ok, well it was only 30 bucks. I'm not sure if I want it on if I have to take it off at the track.
Old 11/5/05, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 5, 2005, 4:13 PM
Ok, well it was only 30 bucks. I'm not sure if I want it on if I have to take it off at the track.
Well you can just disconnect it at each end before you drive to the track. Then just bolt it back up when you get home.
Old 11/9/05, 01:09 AM
GT Member

when installing gears and tloc, would you have to replace the bearings and shims??

like using this...

Ratech Installation kit

i plan on putting 3.73 gears...
Old 11/9/05, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by islandmustang@November 9, 2005, 3:12 AM
when installing gears and tloc, would you have to replace the bearings and shims??

like using this...

Ratech Installation kit

i plan on putting 3.73 gears...

Yes, Motive has a bearing kit to purchase along side the gears. I bought both.
Old 11/9/05, 07:15 PM

So I finally get with my mechanic today, he has been in class all week. Anyway, his shop dosent have the $1500 part for the 7.5 rear end (this sucks, puts me back a week on the install...doh!!!). So he refers me to a friend that does only mustang work. Call that guy, owns a small shop that does performance only....he is like...thats a tall gear...are you sure? I was like yea, I'm sure. He is like, its gonna be a rough gear..bla bla bla....

...I finally cut him off and tell him hey, I am getting this car ready for track season....after this is nitrous and headers! He shut up quick.

Quoted me $300 bucks for bearings, gears and tlok install. This sound normal for you all?
Old 11/9/05, 08:49 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 9, 2005, 6:18 PM
So I finally get with my mechanic today, he has been in class all week. Anyway, his shop dosent have the $1500 part for the 7.5 rear end (this sucks, puts me back a week on the install...doh!!!). So he refers me to a friend that does only mustang work. Call that guy, owns a small shop that does performance only....he is like...thats a tall gear...are you sure? I was like yea, I'm sure. He is like, its gonna be a rough gear..bla bla bla....
...I finally cut him off and tell him hey, I am getting this car ready for track season....after this is nitrous and headers! He shut up quick.

Quoted me $300 bucks for bearings, gears and tlok. This sound normal for you all?

Sounds good.. Thats about what I got quoted for mine.. I say go for it.. Off the top, he sounds really trust worthy.. Like I said, I got quoted the same price to have my work done..