V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Opinions on a V6 5-speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/07 | 05:31 PM

Both are great cars, as long as its a stang, you are good to go. The new 6er is surprisingly quick, clocking off high to mid 14's with just a few bolt ons. The GT reacts good to bolt ons as well. What other sports car can you buy that with less than 1k of bolt ons, runs 14's and low 13's for under 25k ish (GT) and19k ish (V6)?

Both dominate thier respective markets in price/performance category. And of course, because its a stang, it looks cool as hell driving one.
Old 8/17/07 | 09:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
Both are great cars, as long as its a stang, you are good to go. The new 6er is surprisingly quick, clocking off high to mid 14's with just a few bolt ons. The GT reacts good to bolt ons as well. What other sports car can you buy that with less than 1k of bolt ons, runs 14's and low 13's for under 25k ish (GT) and19k ish (V6)?

Both dominate thier respective markets in price/performance category. And of course, because its a stang, it looks cool as hell driving one.
Old 8/18/07 | 05:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke

I don't think anyone could put it better.
Old 8/18/07 | 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Billybix76
I'm happy for your 11.00s Bigaloz , but i am comparing a moderately modded v6 to a stock GT.......best ET (so far) for Juiced/turbo'ed v6 is 10.9 by the way...

.(go Rygen!)
Rygen's time is great, but if I built a bulletproof bottom end turbo'd and juiced my GT, I would be running nines.
Old 8/18/07 | 06:08 PM

Rygen's time is great, but if I built a bulletproof bottom end turbo'd and juiced my GT, I would be running nines.
Well where's your slip then?

In all actuality, Todd could run what he is running now on just turbo. The nitrous was just a cheap easy mod to use to get 10's efficiently. 9's is attainable with that setup if he wants it. Mid 10's on the same setup for boost and 75 shot will be attainable as long as there are no trans. issues.

Kindly look at the top 10 ET leaderboard on this site that includes both GT and V6.
Good to know that it takes a heavily modded GT to keep up with a 4.0 that is properly set up.
Old 8/18/07 | 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigaloz
I appreciate that, mod for mod the V8 will win....no replacement for displacement. However, you should rethink that comment about nines. Look at the top 10 here, most 10 second GT's are running built motors. Its only part of the equation. Theres only one single digit GT on that list. In all honestly, there are not many 10 second S197's running around these days.

And "ifs" are for for bench racing! No offense, but if I had a dollar for everyone that said "if" I would be able to afford a GT500, my current car and a S197 vert for my wife. LOL.
Old 8/18/07 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Buckman
Well where's your slip then?

In all actuality, Todd could run what he is running now on just turbo. The nitrous was just a cheap easy mod to use to get 10's efficiently. 9's is attainable with that setup if he wants it. Mid 10's on the same setup for boost and 75 shot will be attainable as long as there are no trans. issues.

Kindly look at the top 10 ET leaderboard on this site that includes both GT and V6.
Good to know that it takes a heavily modded GT to keep up with a 4.0 that is properly set up.

Thanks Lance. Just wait, you know whats next for the car........hopefully the 3-4 shift issue will be gone thanks to your help.
Old 8/18/07 | 07:20 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by JonW
Not to knock the V6, but once you've had a V8, it's hard to go back. The sound, the feel, the extra power... like you said, you need to drive them both before you make a decision. And remember, you'll be paying for it for a while, so make sure you make a decision that makes you happy.
Well, all I ever owned before my S197 V6 were V8 Mustangs.. I have no desire to get involved with anything with less than 5.4L.. I bailed out on the Mustangs when the 4.6L was first introduced.. I have completely skipped that engine.. Although I do like the Terminator motors..

However, between the current V6, and the current V8 the V6's are just as much fun as long as you apply some type of power adder to them..

I do like the 8.8 3.55 rear ends in the GT.. But thats about it.. Not impressed by the motor at all.. Woulnd't invest in one either..

You gotta tiptoe around the 3V 4.6L.. There are companies out there who know how to tune them though.. The best power adder for one is definately a turbo, because it places less stress on the fragile internals..

This time around though, I think the GT only has a better rear-end and thats it.. Other than that, the V6 has it beat..
Old 8/20/07 | 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

This time around though, I think the GT only has a better rear-end and thats it.. Other than that, the V6 has it beat..
And you can easily replace the V6 axle with a GT 3.55 complete rear end for under $800.

That's gonna be my first major mod before I get my V6 blown.
Old 8/23/07 | 10:41 AM
GT Member

I am a new owner of 5spd V6 stang and I gotta say I am loving it. My next performance mods will probably be a CAI & tune seeing how so many people here enjoy those mods.
Old 8/24/07 | 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Just bought my S197 V6 manual w/pony package today. I do have to say it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive and plenty for my nearly 40 year old butt. I owned an automatic 2003 GT vert, while that was a fun car this one is so much more refined,tighter and has good throttle response. I'm sure it will get even better once it gets broken in. I plan on adding a dual exhaust down the line but that's about it (yeah right,lol)...at least if i wanna stay married that's all I'm gonna do.
Old 8/24/07 | 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Gotta change that sig then Scott...
Old 8/25/07 | 07:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Scootr
I plan on adding a dual exhaust down the line but that's about it (yeah right,lol)...at least if i wanna stay married that's all I'm gonna do.
Yes some nice Flowmasters! That brings you the GT rumble! I love it!
Old 8/25/07 | 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone have some good links for aftermarket exhaust V6 sound clips?
Old 8/26/07 | 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Gotta change that sig then Scott...

DOH! Thanks for the reminder
Old 8/26/07 | 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Scootr
Anyone have some good links for aftermarket exhaust V6 sound clips?
http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=670
Old 8/26/07 | 09:26 PM

clutch and launch issue

Hi,

does any of you driving a manual have the same issue as I have:
the clutch is not progressive at all and I have to give it some gas when driving away if I do not want to stall.
I wonder if this is normal ot just my car.
Thx for your experience/feedback,
Old 8/28/07 | 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by enzo51
Hi,

does any of you driving a manual have the same issue as I have:
the clutch is not progressive at all and I have to give it some gas when driving away if I do not want to stall.
I wonder if this is normal ot just my car.
Thx for your experience/feedback,
Feeding in a little throttle is not unusual when pulling away from a stop. Todays cars are way better than the first Mustangs in helping the driver to be 'smooth'. My 67 Mustang clutch was either on or off, but the cars I've driven recently are way more progressive and responsive. Trust me, with time you will find the sweet spot on the torque curve that will have you accelerating like a pro.
Old 8/29/07 | 01:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Billybix76
For $2500 in common, popular bolt on mods, you can keep a stock GT's license plate in focus at the 1/4 finish line, and still have enough left over to contemplate A super charger that will beat the GT every tme. Plus lower insurance rates and better gas mileage. Other than the sound difference of 6 vs 8 cylnders, with those performance, and suspension mods it will be the SAME car, (handling feel, fit and finish, styling) just $thousands$ less.

BTW the engine internals on the V6 are stronger that the V8 allowing more F/I options. But if you are into turning keys and pushing pedals and just looking good without much in mods the GT may work better for you.
Everyones situation is different. I paid 23,600 for my GT. Stock 13.55. Added DRs, tuner(87 tune),CAI,4.10s ran a 12.74 with great air. For the same price invested (4500 difference) I have not seen a 4.0 break into the 12s with a S/C or for that price. Mind you I am a HUGE fan of the 4.0. Insurance was a $6 a month difference(36 no tickets married etc). I averaged 23.5 on the highway. The only internals that are stronger on the 4.0 are the rods. Detonation both will pop as they have the same style pistons with the ring landing being so closed to the top of the piston. I had to have the V8 sound. Now back to topic. What do you want to do with your car. Keep it stock, auto cross, drag it? What is your financial situation? If you are just looking for a DD with spirited driving and an occasional trip to the track I say the 4.0 is an excellent option. If you are looking for the most performance I say GT(you have more options, parts will be easier to find, rebuild a 4.0 some parts are custom made). Both are great cars and can be performance monsters. Either way you will have an excellent car. Good luck
Old 8/29/07 | 02:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i never even thought about buying a v6, i had to have the gt to match my 65gt. but hey thats me. i drove my aunts v6 stick last week, and i really liked it. it felt good, and drove nice.

the 6 definately has a couple advantages over the gt, but the gt wins in almost all categories.

drive them both, youll get the gt. if you dont, you will be wishing you had

Quick Reply: Opinions on a V6 5-speed manual