V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Opinions on a V6 5-speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/07, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on a V6 5-speed manual

Been quite a few years since I've owned a Mustang and much of the discussion I see in the forums is in regards to the GT. Nice as that model is, for me (sanity, economically, etc) the V6 makes more sense. Is the driveability and engine sounds of this lesser model enough to keep me entertained until the note is paid off?

BTW, this is the "last" one I owned - a 67 289 4-speed manual Nightmist Blue convertible that was about 10 years old in these pictures . . . sure would give anything to have it back!
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on a V6 5-speed manual-67-mustang-3.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/31/07, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a V6 manual and let me say that it is a hell of alot of fun to drive. True, its no GT, but I love it. With the addition of my dual exhaust it sounds mean now too. I drive my dads corvette around every once in a while and that thing is FAST, and even when i come back to my car I dont feel like it is slow at all. For an everyday driver it has plenty of power, and put a new exhaust on and youll love the way it sounds too.
Old 7/31/07, 06:40 PM

Thanks for your input. Using the wealth of knowledge of these forums, I've priced a moderately equipped GT and a similarly set up V6 with Pony package and there is about a $4500 premium for the GT. Works out to about $80 more a month at current rates. Maybe I'm answering my own question - give up one burger meal out a week and I'm in the GT. Going to have to drive them both and then decide.
Old 7/31/07, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

The six is a nice car - and that's the thing. There are a lot of "nice" 6 cylinder cars out there. But V8s are "special". You're a "Mustang" guy...if you drive them both, I'm betting you'll wind up with a GT.

Originally Posted by viffr
. . . sure would give anything to have it back!
You just hit the nail on the head...that's what the NEW GTs are all about!
Old 7/31/07, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to knock the V6, but once you've had a V8, it's hard to go back. The sound, the feel, the extra power... like you said, you need to drive them both before you make a decision. And remember, you'll be paying for it for a while, so make sure you make a decision that makes you happy.
Old 7/31/07, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Had both, first an 06 v6, then an 06 GT. Honestly, I feeel the Gt is built better. The one I had was difficult to shift (I told my wife it felt like it had square gears.) Also, when I ran my amp wires, the floor board on the v6 did not have insulation, just carpet. The Gt does. Not trying to knock the V6, but this was two immediate things I noticed. A common problem betwen the two so far has been the trunk light keeps falling out of the housing . Also the gas mileage difference was trivial to me 23mpg for the v6 and 21mpg for the v8. Also, the V6 would not even beat my wifes car (Acura TL) and she wouldn't let me live it down. If I had to do it over again, I would say get what you want from the get go. I settled for the V6 and wasn't happy till I got the GT... Now I want a s/c. I don't think I can every be happy

Sorry for the long post
Old 7/31/07, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gremlin190
...the trunk light keeps falling out of the housing .
Hey, slightly OT, but that's happening to mine. Have you found a fix?
Old 7/31/07, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i have driven both v6 and GT manual and automatic. the v6 that my mother ownes is still fun to drive...its a mustang. yes there are differences...but the manual 6 will be a blast. it does have suprising power for the size of car. i could only afford v6's for a while till i saved and found some good deals. now i have 2 GT's and love both.
you still need to be comfortable with what you can afford and what you want. either one wont disappoint you!
Old 7/31/07, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
Nope, But I haven't spent the time to see how it's made. I think there maybe some metal that I can bend to make the housing sit more secure. I'll make a new thread if I do.

BTW that was a beauty in the first post
Old 7/31/07, 10:45 PM
Cobra Member

V6's are and will always be awesome cars! Though they may lack those two additional cylinders that the old school motorheads swear by, its by no means a slouch of a car.

Here's a good example of what the V6 is capable of:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=68580

A modified V6 breaking into the 10 second club at the track...Now that rocks!
Old 7/31/07, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by viffr
Thanks for your input. Using the wealth of knowledge of these forums, I've priced a moderately equipped GT and a similarly set up V6 with Pony package and there is about a $4500 premium for the GT. Works out to about $80 more a month at current rates. Maybe I'm answering my own question - give up one burger meal out a week and I'm in the GT. Going to have to drive them both and then decide.
Get the V8. I don't have mine yet, but I think the GT is the most regret-proof option. The nearest contender is the 350z, with a base price about $4k over the GT.

Especially if the difference ends up as $80/month for you. Honestly, if I didn't have the $80, I think I could live without cable if it meant the difference of 90hp.
Old 8/1/07, 01:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Look around, you may find some really good deals on a GT - if not and you decide to go with a V6 manual it's a great car and alot of fun, especially if it's a vert.
Old 8/1/07, 01:21 AM
V6 Member

When I was shopping, I test-drove a V6 and GT back-to-back -- the GT just didn't feel that faster (even though I know it HAS to be), especially for the $6000 premium the GTs were commanding.

With 3.73s and a Trac-Lok installed for ~500, plus an eBay CAI and an MRT exhaust (now with a Dynomax bullet muffler after the Y-pipe to kill highway drone), Greeny puts major grins on my face every time I drive 'er. And once I start needing more power, I'll be going forced-induction, and putting down more power than a bolt-on GT and STILL thousands ahead!

Cheaper insurance is nice too The only real downside from my perspective is the sound -- an MRT'd V6 sounds like God shouting at full throttle, but nothing will ever compare to the music a Ford V8 makes. Even the Corvette boys admit that!
Old 8/1/07, 05:14 AM
Cobra Member

I've heard a few V6's running around and they sound really good. The power should be adiquate enough also.

When I bought my GT, I considered a 6, the practical side was bleeding through, plus they were much more readily available. But I knew in my heart of hearts I'd always be jealous of the GT guys. I am very happy I was able to get a GT and have no regrets. The price differance just doesn't seem that great to me, not now atleast. Can't speak for insurance cost, mine is cheaper than most people I know personally though. Only $10 more/year than my 03 Honda civic. You can make a 6 as fast as a stock GT and much faster actually, but remaining ahead of the game money wise, I doubt that.

Take both models on a test drive and decide.
Old 8/1/07, 05:42 AM

...BTW that was a beauty in the first post

Thanks for the kind words. It was a '67 that I bought as a toy in 1975 for $900, put a clutch in it, a new plastic rear window and lavashed it with car wax! Sold it in 1977 for $1500 (IIRC) to help finance the purchase of my first house.
Old 8/17/07, 10:13 AM

For $2500 in common, popular bolt on mods, you can keep a stock GT's license plate in focus at the 1/4 finish line, and still have enough left over to contemplate A super charger that will beat the GT every tme. Plus lower insurance rates and better gas mileage. Other than the sound difference of 6 vs 8 cylnders, with those performance, and suspension mods it will be the SAME car, (handling feel, fit and finish, styling) just $thousands$ less.

BTW the engine internals on the V6 are stronger that the V8 allowing more F/I options. But if you are into turning keys and pushing pedals and just looking good without much in mods the GT may work better for you.
Old 8/17/07, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Billybix76
For $2500 in common, popular bolt on mods, you can keep a stock GT's license plate in focus at the 1/4 finish line, and still have enough left over to contemplate A super charger that will beat the GT every tme. Plus lower insurance rates and better gas mileage. Other than the sound difference of 6 vs 8 cylnders, with those performance, and suspension mods it will be the SAME car, (handling feel, fit and finish, styling) just $thousands$ less.

BTW the engine internals on the V6 are stronger that the V8 allowing more F/I options. But if you are into turning keys and pushing pedals and just looking good without much in mods the GT may work better for you.

With gears and an Alternative Auto tune, I was running 13.0's. I have seen supercharged 6's on here that are running 13.5's.

Noe with the Saleen S/C I run 11's.
Old 8/17/07, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I had that problem the first week I got my Mustang. You really need to slam it into place. I did that on mine and I heard a "snap" and it's secure now. It hasn't fallen out of place in almost a year.
Old 8/17/07, 01:37 PM

I'm happy for your 11.00s Bigaloz , but i am comparing a moderately modded v6 to a stock GT.......best ET (so far) for Juiced/turbo'ed v6 is 10.9 by the way...

.(go Rygen!)
Old 8/17/07, 04:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The six is a nice car - and that's the thing. There are a lot of "nice" 6 cylinder cars out there. But V8s are "special". !
There are plenty of sixes out there that blow a stock or mildly modded GT away for "special" and are way beyond "nice".

Quick Reply: Opinions on a V6 5-speed manual