V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

My first dyno runs!

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/06, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, had a really fun day at the dyno with our Mustang club. I smell like an exhaust

Anyhow, I did the following comparison:
89 octane tune from Lidio with C&L intake vs.
returned to factory stock tune with factory air box.

I must admit...I was a bit bummed about the 4 HP gain--but it is what it is.. Lidio's tune nailed the A/F, but the stock box seems to run a good bit leaner!

I think the torque blimp on the stock tune/box run was when it downshifted. The stock tune didn't help much with that dyno run! And when it hit the speed limiter it suprised us all..forgot about that..LOL.

With the car wanting to downshift, it made things a bit of a challenge. He just kind of crept up on it, rather than being able to just nail it. Oh, it was fun watching my car hit 129 MPH Did it really do that in 4th gear?? Or did he maybe forget to put the O/D off?

Anhow, here's the sheet--first with RPMs, then with MPH
[attachmentid=43937]
[attachmentid=43938]

Updated--now with videos!
Video/audio from two of my dyno runs (both with C&L):

Dyno Run 1

Dyno Run 2
Old 1/28/06, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice runs!
Old 1/28/06, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 28, 2006, 7:00 PM
Nice runs!
Heh....thanks. The stock run leaves a bit to be desired, but they were cool and let me swap out the cai/tune so I'm not complaining.

Another '05 V6 auto--Redalert--laid down 197/224! Of all things, HE'S the guy that bought my JMS CAI and then is using tunes from VPM Tuning I think? Anyhow, Justin sent him a dyno tune (locked converter and gear I think?). I think they forgot to put the A/F probe in his pipe cause I didn't see it...
Old 1/28/06, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Hambone@January 28, 2006, 7:46 PM
Okay, had a really fun day at the dyno with our Mustang club. I smell like an exhaust

Anyhow, I did the following comparison:
89 octane tune from Lidio with C&L intake vs.
returned to factory stock tune with factory air box.

I must admit...I was a bit bummed about the 4 HP gain--but it is what it is.. Lidio's tune nailed the A/F, but the stock box seems to run a good bit leaner!

I think the torque blimp on the stock tune/box run was when it downshifted. The stock tune didn't help much with that dyno run! And when it hit the speed limiter it suprised us all..forgot about that..LOL.

With the car wanting to downshift, it made things a bit of a challenge. He just kind of crept up on it, rather than being able to just nail it. Oh, it was fun watching my car hit 129 MPH Did it really do that in 4th gear?? Or did he maybe forget to put the O/D off?

Anhow, here's the sheet--first with RPMs, then with MPH
[attachmentid=43937]
[attachmentid=43938]
I would have expected more, especially with a C&L. Why do you think Redalert got higher numbers? All in all, though, nice!
Old 1/28/06, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Im a lil suprised too, but still thats good numbers for an auto.
Old 1/28/06, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good run man, if you translate my STD numbers from my first run they are not far off, us being autos and all.
Old 1/28/06, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 28, 2006, 7:58 PM
I would have expected more, especially with a C&L. Why do you think Redalert got higher numbers? All in all, though, nice!
Well, Redalert has several things different from mine:
different tune--he was specifically for dyno runs; mine was using what I use every day

different exhaust--his is true duals (no H, X, or Y) and magnaflow muffs, mine has Xpipe and GT takeoffs,

differnet rear ends--he has gears (4.10 I think) and T-lok--mine is stock.

different CAI--his is JMS and mine is C&L

different cars ;-)

One thing I see---my dyno runs did not have the torque converter lockup "blip" that I think I see on yours and Rygen's. If you guys ignore the blip, what is your HP readings? So---I might be closer to you guys than it appears...
Old 1/28/06, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hambone@January 28, 2006, 9:20 PM
Well, Redalert has several things different from mine:
different tune--he was specifically for dyno runs; mine was using what I use every day

different exhaust--his is true duals (no H, X, or Y) and magnaflow muffs, mine has Xpipe and GT takeoffs,

differnet rear ends--he has gears (4.10 I think) and T-lok--mine is stock.

different CAI--his is JMS and mine is C&L

different cars ;-)

One thing I see---my dyno runs did not have the torque converter lockup "blip" that I think I see on yours and Rygen's. If you guys ignore the blip, what is your HP readings? So---I might be closer to you guys than it appears...
I subtract the blip when I post LOL. I'm currently at 193.9 with the TI CAI. Before that I was at 190 with the AFE. But keep in mind, I have straight through mufflers, but I think they are also hurting me. For example, your TQ is better than mine even now.

You are on target, with some muffs I think you will hit or break 190 for sure. It's a very good run.

I am going to be working with Excessive on the exhaust and whole TQ thing on Feb 3rd. For me it's a bit more complicated, on the TQ I really don't need it for DD, I need it for the track. I must wait though to see how my Zex likes my magnaflow duals this friday. Ive been going nuts waiting on this, but now that Excessive has fixed thier dyno, I am all over it.
Old 1/28/06, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Those numbers are definitely a good start... Couple of random thoughts...

Man, your stock lines sure go all over the place! That is so really goofy looking... hmmm... Also I think if you would have seen the stock numbers in the lower RPMs you'ld seen Lidio's tune have a big advantage in your torque numbers...

One has to wonder how much those GT mufflers are holding you back? I rode in a V6 with the dual GT takes-offs and it sounded kind of muffled compared to my Magnaflow...
Old 1/29/06, 01:40 AM

Seems that I remember Scrmin posting a dyno (might have been on his website) with his C&L and there wasnt much change at all also except for a few hp at the very high rmp range. Am I remembering this right? If so then not so surprising. I dont know much about dyno's but from you all that are experienced with them... are they really accurate OR are they only as acurate as the technician who is using it????? I know that in my line of work we have all sorts of very sensitive instruments that are truly remarkable but get a bonehead on them using them with limited knowledge and all sorts of wacky stuff come out of them.
tommy
Old 1/29/06, 05:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scrming@January 28, 2006, 11:14 PM
Those numbers are definitely a good start... Couple of random thoughts...

Man, your stock lines sure go all over the place! That is so really goofy looking... hmmm... Also I think if you would have seen the stock numbers in the lower RPMs you'ld seen Lidio's tune have a big advantage in your torque numbers...

One has to wonder how much those GT mufflers are holding you back? I rode in a V6 with the dual GT takes-offs and it sounded kind of muffled compared to my Magnaflow...
Yeah, the stock run should have been repeated..but like I said, I wasn't going to complain given the circumstances (group dyno day, etc.)

As for the muffs---I'm not sure if they are holding me back. It's a good thought. Of course, I wish I had a good "before/after exhaust mod" dyno sheet. I would have guessed that slapping two of those on the car would give it plenty of flow. Hrm...might be fun to dyno with/without the GT muffs Maybe we can coax Rygen or Excepcion to consider that (muffs, no muffs) for one of their runs during their exhaust modification experiments!

Another way to look at this---I got just over 180 RWHP with only an exhaust mod

In terms of driveability and the "butt dyno"...there is no way in the WORLD I'm going back to stock tune/air box While it's only 4HP difference, I'd say you'd have to drive it and make your own observations. (If the dyno had said there was LESS HP with the 89 tune/C&L, I *still* wouldn't go back to that crappy transmission control! hehe)
Old 1/29/06, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Hambone@January 29, 2006, 7:34 AM
<snip>

In terms of driveability and the "butt dyno"...there is no way in the WORLD I'm going back to stock tune/air box While it's only 4HP difference, I'd say you'd have to drive it and make your own observations. (If the dyno had said there was LESS HP with the 89 tune/C&L, I *still* wouldn't go back to that crappy transmission control! hehe)

<snip>
Yep, I've learned that dyno is only part of the story... perfect example the C&L out performed the MMR by 3RWHP... but on the street it made a huge difference!
Old 1/29/06, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

dyno numbers are really just for bragging rights, in a way... what's really important... do ya dig how she drives?
Old 1/29/06, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah, she drives like a new car with Lidio's tunes and the intake...so, I ain't gonna complain

Hey, some guys at our dyno day were pushing over 500 HP with their SC'd Cobras and some N02! Now that's some HP. Believe me, after seeing that, I'm not gonna fret over 10 HP..hehe.

Hey, both Redalert and I posted higher numbers than a stock 5.0 automatic--it made 170 HP That alone made the day worth while...hehe.

Oh--more fun---they had an old stock 4 cylinder 'stang they put on at the very end---it made just over 70 HP! lol
Old 1/29/06, 04:41 PM
Cobra R Member

70hp? ouch. from a 2.3 liter?
Old 1/29/06, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 29, 2006, 6:44 PM
70hp? ouch. from a 2.3 liter?
Hehehe...yeah, an automatic I think my 1980 Pinto 5-speed did better than that

I need to digitize my dyno run and post the video! Hope to do this eve.
Old 1/29/06, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Video/audio from two of my dyno runs:

Dyno Run 1

Dyno Run 2
Old 1/29/06, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

You know, now that you have a good baseline run (and I still think that a dynotune of YOUR car could tweak more power out of it. I am sure that if the car was in front of Lidio when he was tuning it, you would see more gains), you will be able to tell the effects of different mods. Maybe try two of those MRT mufflers and be the first to report on tne gains from it.

BTW, I drove Rygen's car today, and these AT are no slouch! First we went tearing up Rt 28 in my 5 speed and then we took out his AT. Those ATs have a lot of pull, and I love that you can drop them back to fourth with the push of a button. That's the best of both worlds!!!
Old 1/29/06, 11:55 PM
V6 Member

"Shall I do'd it? If I do'd it I get a whippin.' I do'd it!" --Red Skelton

@Tomahawk

I remember that too, the stock air box pulled harder in the low to mid rpms. That's what first started me to wondering if the CAIs and tunes were really capable of making the numbers everyone was claiming. The majority of the dynos I have seen posted here are similar to yours Hambone: +4-8 hp. But I have been labeled a cynic when it comes to this topic (just ask anyone).

In theory, if you get more air into the engine (which is not easy to do with a stock throttle body still intact), tune the engine to run with more air, increase the octane of the fuel in order to enrich the air/fuel mixture sufficiently (93 octane seems to be the magic number), your exhaust flow would then have to similarly increase to complete the process (strictly adhering to the idea that an engine is really an air pump).

The next problem then becomes the stock catalitic converters which restrict flow from the engine to the exhaust, but are required by law punishable up to a $5,000 fine (meaning: don't go there)! I personally believe that the right header/exhaust/muffler combination could unleash 25-30 hp, but I have not seen many header offerings for the V-6, and JBA's "shorties" do not even seem to be tuned.
Old 1/30/06, 06:29 AM

nuttin wrong with cynics T-Stang. It is tough to argue with your logic.
Matter of fact being a cynic (in a way) is a very big part of my work. i work as a molecular biologist here in bama and have to quetion everything. I wonder exactly what the margin of error are for separate dyno runs. Why not have "error bars" LOL. Does the fact that the car is not moving during the dyno run have any effect? What about LSD and open diff... do they register differently on identical cars? etc... I could think of another 10 or so questions.
I decided against the C&L simply because 300$ seemed too much for something that may or may not give 10-15% HP gains. I guess what really matters is how does the car "Feel" when it is driven after installing a C&L or any other thing for that matter. Tell ya this... if I paid 300$ for something pumped up to give 15HP or so on dyno runs and I saw nada I would be very ticked off.
I dont know if the AfE intake I got inceased HP or not, it did make the exhaust sound a bit deeper, and I was very pleased with the response of the car after the bamachip tunes so I am happy with that. If the new JLT tests well I might get that. we'll see.
have a great day y'all!
Tommy

Quick Reply: My first dyno runs!