V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

MMR V6 Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/06, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL Hambone! I sure don't have a lot of faith in a one in thick hunk of metal with a hole through it. Ya could make one out of wood!
Old 1/20/06, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

There was a huge thread about throttle body spacers on the GT Performance forum (http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=29421 and http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=31023. I've only heard of a couple of people actually dyno'ing them...One guy said he got +0.8 RWHP and +11 RWTQ, another noticed no gain.

I don't think these things work as well as manufacturer advertises. I remember seeing a fairly recent episode of "Two Guys Garage" where they put a TB spacer on a Chevy Truck
(http://www.twoguysgarage.com/episodes/index.php?epi=410)
They got 37 RWTQ - I thought this was proof, but then Sam Memmolo does a commercial on the virtues of the "Tornado Fuel Saver"...yeah right...so I can't really trust what I saw on the show.

The only really good thing I hear is that the TB spacer can alleviate some Throttle lag. If they were selling these things for $30, I'd consider one.
Old 1/20/06, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by racerx@January 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
There was a huge thread about throttle body spacers on the GT Performance forum (http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=29421 and http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=31023. I've only heard of a couple of people actually dyno'ing them...One guy said he got +0.8 RWHP and +11 RWTQ, another noticed no gain.

I don't think these things work as well as manufacturer advertises. I remember seeing a fairly recent episode of "Two Guys Garage" where they put a TB spacer on a Chevy Truck
(http://www.twoguysgarage.com/episodes/index.php?epi=410)
They got 37 RWTQ - I thought this was proof, but then Sam Memmolo does a commercial on the virtues of the "Tornado Fuel Saver"...yeah right...so I can't really trust what I saw on the show.

The only really good thing I hear is that the TB spacer can alleviate some Throttle lag. If they were selling these things for $30, I'd consider one.

Next he'll be doing a informercial on the turbonator.
Old 1/20/06, 01:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, it does get rid of the throttle lag BIG TIME!!! It also increases gas mileage! My computer went up about 4-5 MPG!! I was amazed with the JET T/B Spacer. But it DOES WORK, coming from someone who already has it. I just wish I had my tools the one day I went on the dyno day, i would of easly did a dry run without the T/B Spacer in and the next one with it in to have dyno proof. But judging by how its worked soo far, I def felt a difference!
Old 1/20/06, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 20, 2006, 12:40 PM
Well, no dice on the Airaid...here's there response...short 'n' sweet:

[We have decided not to do spacers for the Mustang.

David Lutter
Customer Support
Airaid Premium Filters
dml@airaid.com
602-652-9728 Direct Connect
877-443-3636 Toll Free Fax]
It's a shame cause I called them a few months back and they were eager to finish the GT model T/B Spacer, but then they said they were not going to make a V6 version. Hmm, I guess they changed their mind.

Maybe JET will make one for the V6 soon......
Old 1/20/06, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

The JET looks interesting... it's bored differently than the airaid

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=24...5&model=688#688
Old 1/20/06, 04:29 PM
Cam Tease

Honestly Maverick. If Ford could have boosted gas economy by 20%, added enough ponies to make a noticeable difference, and eliminated throttle lag merely by sticking a peice of metal with a whole through it between the throttle body and the air intake....don't you think they would have?
Old 1/21/06, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hamidlmt@January 20, 2006, 3:51 PM
The JET looks interesting... it's bored differently than the airaid

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=24...5&model=688#688
Those grooves are supposed to act as vortex generators. I dunno, sounds too much like the 'Tornado' device to me

Supposedly, TB spacers are supposed to work by increasing volumetric efficiency in the engine. This is what my research has yielded:

Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is the actual amount of air and engine can ingest vs. the theoretical maximum. (The theoretical maximum amount is equal to the combined sweep volume of all the cylinders in the engine per revolution)...most modern cars have a VE of around 90%.

So how can you make your VE ratio better? Well if you cool the air before it enters the engine, it becomes more dense, so for the same given volume, that mass of air is greater...hence more air is being ingested.

How does the throttle body spacer help? It creates a longer pathway for the air and fuel to travel before it enters the engine. This allows for more heat dissipation and cooler, denser air to enter the combustion chamber. The denser air in the combustion chamber gives you a bigger explosion, hence more power.

but what do I know, I just took fluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermodynamics courses in college
Old 1/21/06, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

How close are those dyno results? Just anxious to see, maybe for nothing..
Old 1/21/06, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by scotts05custom@January 21, 2006, 11:45 AM
How close are those dyno results? Just anxious to see, maybe for nothing..
No update yet from the other forum. Here's Jack's dyno result from the GT Performance Forum - It's the Jet TB Spacer

It definitely helped, but not the 4-6 HP claim from Jet's dyno sheet.
Old 1/21/06, 02:04 PM
Cam Tease

Tony, you wanna tell me the ambient temperature decrease attained in the time it takes the air to travel an extra 2 cm? Plus if lengthening the pathway the air must travel before entering the engine IS beneficial, explain to my why shortram intakes work (and they do if theyre real, not marketing speak "short ram''.)
Old 1/21/06, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would say temperature delta across the 2cm space is negligble. It would have been a need homework problem to do.

I always thought the short intakes worked because the eingine breathed better compared to the factory air box. I've seen the true cold air intakes that pipe air ducted quite aways from the hot engine bay...too much trouble for me to do.
Old 1/21/06, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Assuming that chunk of metal is made out of aluminum, it can dissipitate some heat. Our computers have similar type of devices over their chips - a chunk of aluminum with a fan on top. However, since the mechanics of air flow are very different in these two cases, I doubt it can cool the air all that much.
Old 2/4/06, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

these dyno numbers ever get posted?
Old 2/8/06, 09:30 PM
GT Member

We added one of these to my V6 stang this weekend. I wanted it put in because we did:

Truetrac
3.45 gears (going to 3.73 gears in a few weeks. Wanted to try these out for a bit)
JBA headers -- all business titanium
JBA spark plug wires
Steeda Short Shifter (economy version -- the one where you fabricate the factory shift linkage a bit)
som other UPR goodies (shorty antenna, chrome shift ****)
Redline goods boots
Ultimate Pedal 4 pedal kit, w/ heel-toe extn.

Basically if I did not already have a Steeda CAI & XCAL2 tune & Borla Exhaust and then all the other power goodies that we added above this weekend, I would not have even bothered w/ the MMR spacer. IMHO this mod is really for somebody w/ all the other important 'core' mods already in place. I would not put this thing on a bone stock car its not worth the time as a first mod.

But:

1. Its my one consolation to 'bling' under the hood. I can now resist the urge to buy billet oil dipstick handles and Radiator Coolent Overflow tanks and Radiator Covers and Winshield Washer Fluid Res.. (well, you get the idea). The rest of my underhood (sans the blue JBA wires) is all business or all OEM stock.

2. since the hood was already open for all the other work, putting on the MMR spacer was a not much more work.

3. This little bit of bling may actually do, well, something. What I dunno.

All in all my Borla exhaust does sound better w/ the JBA's & all the other work we did. A lot more "vuh-duh-duh-duh" -- the exhaust beats have a more distinct signature to them then when I was running w/o the MMR and w/ the stock factory manifolds. Part of my belief in the sweet-sound of the V6 is the higher INTAKE manifold/INTAKE plenum. Ford tuned the Mustang motor w/a higher intake plenum & IMHO things like open CAI's, etc. work well with this motor from a sound perspective because of it. The MMR Spacer does add a bit of length to that area of the car, but I cannot say how much, if any, it added to the sound. We installed the MMR spacer just before the headers went in so we wanted to make sure the car was super-cold before handling the exhaust manifold, so we did not 'hot-test' the car until after the JBA's headers and wires were in.
Old 10/12/07, 10:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Any new thoughts on the MMR TBS now?? Is it worth the money if you already done other mods as is stated above????
Old 10/12/07, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up Yes I still have the TBS in

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
Any new thoughts on the MMR TBS now?? Is it worth the money if you already done other mods as is stated above????

I still think its great. I am still running the Brenspeed 92 octane tune. I did some 'seat of pants' testing and found that at WOT the car seemed to run slightly lean. Others have also said a TBS can cause A/F to go a little lean. Since I have the XCAL2, I was able to richen the WOT A/F by 10%. The car, at least subjectively, now runs a heck of a lot better at WOT. The car seems to jump and go a lot better at WOT. I experiemented with the XCAL 2 with WOT richen A/F from 5% to 14% and found that 10% seemed the best all around.

I also used the XCAL 2 to sharpen timing +2 degrees at low and high RPM, plus +4 degrees at midlevel RPM's. That, combined with all the other mods I already described in previous thread, plus the MMR TBS, keeps me running good. Of course, I gotta by premium fuel to keep this set up running.

BTW: We've long since put in the 373's on the true trac. We picked up a bearing press to make this a hell of a lot easier. IMHO don't waste time w/ 3.45's. Jump straight to 373's from stock 331's.
Old 10/12/07, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up Yes I still have the TBS in

Originally Posted by slowjoe24

I still think its great. I am still running the Brenspeed 92 octane tune. I did some 'seat of pants' testing and found that at WOT the car seemed to run slightly lean. Others have also said a TBS can cause A/F to go a little lean. Since I have the XCAL2, I was able to richen the WOT A/F by 10%. The car, at least subjectively, now runs a heck of a lot better at WOT. The car seems to jump and go a lot better at WOT. I experiemented with the XCAL 2 with WOT richen A/F from 5% to 14% and found that 10% seemed the best all around.

I also used the XCAL 2 to sharpen timing +2 degrees at low and high RPM, plus +4 degrees at midlevel RPM's. That, combined with all the other mods I already described in previous thread, plus the MMR TBS, keeps me running good. Of course, I gotta by premium fuel to keep this set up running.

BTW: We've long since put in the 373's on the true trac. We picked up a bearing press to make this a hell of a lot easier. IMHO don't waste time w/ 3.45's. Jump straight to 373's from stock 331's.
Old 10/14/07, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks