V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

LED footwell lighting for under 20.00

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/10, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED footwell lighting for under 20.00

ordered some LED 15 light strips off ebay, maybe 2 pcs x 8ft. wire from radio shack and a few connectors and zip ties. you can tie in by the SJB but i went the easier route.

pulled the pass door sill, the SJB kick panel and the pass side pillar trim off. at the top of the windshield is a connector that goes to the dome lights. disconnect the plug there and tap in your 2 pcs of wire just above the connector. the + wire is the black w/light blue stripe, the - wire is the light green w/yellow stripe.

ran the 2 wires down the pillar, through the SJB are, followed the pass side top of the carpet( theres is a wire harness there already to zip tie to) around and to the console, through the console and just into the driv side footwell, just under the dash. there is a nice wire harness on each side just under the dash that you can stick the light strip to, as it comes with 3m tape on them to hook it up then zip tie them to hold good.

the lights come with a pigtail on them, so i ties the pass side in by the SJB and the driv side next to the console. i really like the light. comes on when i open the doors or with the dimmer **** and goes great with my blue LED dome lights too.

heres the lights i bought ( around 10-12.00 shipped)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200521326910

but now a guy found another link where they cost 1.00 plus shipping. i`m not shure if they are the same or as good, but i ordered 2 of these to check them out. if they are cool, then i`ll install them in the rear seat foorwells. should have them this week so i`ll post back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270631056541

i didnt take any install pics, but heres a couple just to give a idea.
Attached Thumbnails LED footwell lighting for under 20.00-lights1.jpg   LED footwell lighting for under 20.00-lights2.jpg   LED footwell lighting for under 20.00-lights3.jpg  
Old 10/7/10, 05:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
very cool! Nice werk
Old 10/8/10, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
very cool! Nice werk
thanks, sorry the pic is not so great( cheap camera in low light) those other lights have not come yet, should be soon though.
Old 10/8/10, 08:52 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Nice mod, I have been looking at adding some foot well lighting.
Old 10/9/10, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

oops, just realized this should have went in the interior mods section. maybe the forum mod can move it?
Old 10/19/10, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like the look dude. Smart idea having them come on with the door opening. I have the factory LED installed and sadly enough I never use them. Since you have to click a button to activate them you just never remember. If I was cruising or something and wanted to create a mood maybe, but I'm sure you will get much more enjoyment out of your method.
Old 11/1/10, 02:01 AM
V6 Member

Wow, been wanting to do something like this. Thing that is holding me back is detailed with pictures step-by-step instructions for this mod. I already have blue dome lights so there is no point for me to get multi-color leds.
Old 11/1/10, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LvMyStang
Wow, been wanting to do something like this. Thing that is holding me back is detailed with pictures step-by-step instructions for this mod. I already have blue dome lights so there is no point for me to get multi-color leds.

No need to make this extra complicated by accessing the SJB box.

My ambient lighting was wired simply into the wiring for the light in the automatic transmission shifter bezel indicator. On manual transmission car the circuit is there but just unused. The ambient lighting functions the same as the dash and dome lights with the remote activated lock/unlock event. Most importantly they dim with the dash lights using the existing rotary switch. Without being able to control the dimming the ambient LED lighting is unbearable at night operating at full brightness while driving. Since I had the top of the console off to add LED lights for the cupholder and console compartment, it was much easier to tap into the existing illumination circuit under the shifter bezel. The top of the console is only two screws under the back of the armrest lid and the whole console top snaps right off when you lift from back to front.

Not too long ago I went an extra step and run a set of wires from the ambient lighting to the door map pockets and installed 3-LED blue self adhesive light strips. You have to have extra patience with this mod because the challenge is running the wiring through the existing boots from the front door pillar to the door itself. You can of course cheat and run the wire outside the boots but it looks lazy and unprofessional.

I also did a neat trick with the overhead map lights. I added one blue LED to each dome/map light reflect. I wired then in such a way that when I open the doors, the lamps light up in blue, but when I switch on the map lights they turn off the blue LED's and light up white bulbs for functional reading or seeing use when needed.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/1/10 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11/1/10, 11:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
No need to make this extra complicated by accessing the SJB box.

My ambient lighting was wired simply into the wiring for the light in the automatic transmission shifter bezel indicator. On manual transmission car the circuit is there but just unused. The ambient lighting functions the same as the dash and dome lights with the remote activated lock/unlock event. Most importantly they dim with the dash lights using the existing rotary switch. Without being able to control the dimming the ambient LED lighting is unbearable at night operating at full brightness while driving. Since I had the top of the console off to add LED lights for the cupholder and console compartment, it was much easier to tap into the existing illumination circuit under the shifter bezel. The top of the console is only two screws under the back of the armrest lid and the whole console top snaps right off when you lift from back to front.

Not too long ago I went an extra step and run a set of wires from the ambient lighting to the door map pockets and installed 3-LED blue self adhesive light strips. You have to have extra patience with this mod because the challenge is running the wiring through the existing boots from the front door pillar to the door itself. You can of course cheat and run the wire outside the boots but it looks lazy and unprofessional.

I also did a neat trick with the overhead map lights. I added one blue LED to each dome/map light reflect. I wired then in such a way that when I open the doors, the lamps light up in blue, but when I switch on the map lights they turn off the blue LED's and light up white bulbs for functional reading or seeing use when needed.
I'll check into this later. Here are my plans for the foot well LEDs. I would like to have them lit up when the door opens and dim when closes just like the way the dome light functions. And there are times I would like to have them on (without the dome lights on) while driving with the ability to adjust the light output (dimmer control). I'm assuming I will need a switch in order for these to be on while driving?
Old 11/2/10, 10:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll check into this later. Here are my plans for the foot well LEDs. I would like to have them lit up when the door opens and dim when closes just like the way the dome light functions. And there are times I would like to have them on (without the dome lights on) while driving with the ability to adjust the light output (dimmer control). I'm assuming I will need a switch in order for these to be on while driving?
You will probably need a relay or two that will isolate the two circuits so that when the dome lights are on, it is not back feeding current to the dash light circuit causing a short. The relays would also function so that when the dash lights are on at night, the dome lamps are not on when driving. I find that my installation is the least complicated because when I hit the unlock button on my remote, the ambient lights are already on when I open the door and time out with the dash and dome lights as the factory function. With the dash lights on I have full range of dimming the ambient lighting consistant with the dash lights.
Old 11/3/10, 12:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
You will probably need a relay or two that will isolate the two circuits so that when the dome lights are on, it is not back feeding current to the dash light circuit causing a short. The relays would also function so that when the dash lights are on at night, the dome lamps are not on when driving. I find that my installation is the least complicated because when I hit the unlock button on my remote, the ambient lights are already on when I open the door and time out with the dash and dome lights as the factory function. With the dash lights on I have full range of dimming the ambient lighting consistant with the dash lights.
Looks like that is the way to go. I'll have to figure out the whole wiring part to actually make that happen. I'll have to find a way.
Old 11/13/10, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

you can turn the footwells on by using the dimmer **** in the dome position. they do light and time out with the domes( because they are tapped into them) if you want to turn off the domes and leave the footwells lit up, what i did was bought a small blue lighted rocker switch to install in the map light console. ya, i cant control or dim the footwells, but i dont know why i ever would want too, they are awesome just like they are. side note: ive bought a few sets of those led strips from metapark on ebay for the 1.00 + .89 shipping and they are the same ones. ( in that link i posted) cant beat that price. i used the instructions for installing lighted door sills, i`ll try to post that here....
Attached Files

Last edited by amustangrocks; 11/13/10 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11/23/10, 10:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
you can turn the footwells on by using the dimmer **** in the dome position. they do light and time out with the domes( because they are tapped into them) if you want to turn off the domes and leave the footwells lit up, what i did was bought a small blue lighted rocker switch to install in the map light console. ya, i cant control or dim the footwells, but i dont know why i ever would want too, they are awesome just like they are. side note: ive bought a few sets of those led strips from metapark on ebay for the 1.00 + .89 shipping and they are the same ones. ( in that link i posted) cant beat that price. i used the instructions for installing lighted door sills, i`ll try to post that here....

The reason why I would like to have the dimming feature so that I can dim down if it's too bright at night while driving. I've seen some people gone to the rocker switch route - always an option. I'll find a way somehow.
Old 12/4/10, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

update from the first post, the 15 led strip lights for 1.00 ea.+ .89 ea. shipping are the same. i ordered a couple sets from them as my g/f wants some in her 06. its odd though, they ship ea light strip separate. so if you order 2 and only get one, give it another day and the other will show up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270631056541