V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Installed my 3.73 and TrueTrac and WOW

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/05, 10:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My day started at about 10:00 yesterday at RealSpeed Automotive on Long Island in NY. Dan Carlson, the owner know his Mustangs inside and out - he was a lead designer for Steeda for years and knows everything there is about fine tuning these things.

He started taking everything off and completely hollowed out that rear. Then he started reassembling the gears and the TT. He meticulously measured and remeasured and then we brought it down.

We reflashed my SCT with the new gear ratios and upgrade for the software. But - oh oh, the car kept throwing error codes now with the new software upgrade and gears. When returning car back to stock the Error codes were gone. So after doing about a half dozen changes, we tried using a brand new Tuner out of the box, just in case something went wrong with mine when upgrading the software. But, still had the same problems. We then called SCT, but Tech support had already closed. Dan never gave up and never made me feel like it was even bothering him. He is a true diehard Mustang afficonado and would only let him work on my pony - ever. It was already almost 7:00 and Dan decided - lets try readjusting my tunes with the gear rations and use the old software to reload - WHALLA - No trouble codes. Seems that the new software may have a bug in it and he is looking into it with SCT to see why. I'll keep you guys and girls posted.

That's where the fun started. We decided to take it for a spin and see what difference the new tune, gears and that TT made. I told Dan that he should drive it. This was the first time he got to be in the drivers seat in my ride and let me tell you.....

WOW ... We figured lets test out the TT and we just hit the gas and lit those tires UP!!! It was amazing then the 3.73 kicked in and pulled like a b!i#h! He said he was very very impressed with it. He didn't think that the 6 was that powerful and that it definitley felt like it should be sub 6's for the 0-60. We figured we would Dyno it next time and see the times and final hp.

It was just crazy how the TT kicks in and the whole car feel 500% more solid in the rear from take off - through out. The 3.73 give it such a pull that it really feels like it could knock around almost any stock v8 prior to 05! Not that I am knocking the V8's but it is putting down some serious pull and coming from Dan, He was "very impressed" with what we had done. The tune also shut off the torque limiter and just feels like the car has no throttle lag at all. I also got to test out the TT last night since some roads had some wet leaves and wet spots and it was unreal. It grips and makes a night and day difference from the one legged hopping I was doing in the past.

Definitely well worth the money! BTW, I also met a guy that was having Dan install his Roush supercharger on his V8 Roush and we got to talking for a while. His car was sweet and got me even more convinced that this 6 needs a supercharger next. Dan was at SEMA earlier this month and is still waiting to see which companies are going to offer the best S/C. Paxton has the Novi1200, but seems that it is only available through Shelby for the v6, so we'll see if something changes there and what else happens in the next few months.
Next scheduled mod - S/C for Spring )))

Figure with S/C we could be running 0-60 times in the 4'sto at the least mid to low 5's!! and quarters in low 13's high 12's. Not bad for a V6... I would just like to see the look on a 350z []

Lovin my stang more and more each day --- Have yourselves a great Thanksgiving , and thanks again to Dan !

2005 Screamin Yellin Mustang V6 Auto - Magnaflow Dual Cat Backs - SCT Tune 93 Octane (No Torque Rev Limit / Speed Gov's etc...) - 3.73 Ford Racing Gears - Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip - Racing Side Stripes
Old 11/23/05, 12:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where on LI is he located?
Old 11/23/05, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is awesome man. I know how you feel!!! Wait till you floor it on a turn, then you can really feel the difference.
Old 11/23/05, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds wonderful! Enjoy your Detroit TrueTrac & 3.73:1 gears. Great report.
Old 11/23/05, 06:57 PM
MSP
Banned

Nice report man!! Glad your happy with the 3.73's! Once you add the supercharger, and you get to the last 1/8th marker, your going to love yourself for choosing the 3.73 gear..

With the 3.73 and a Supercharger, you will be a last 1/8th racer... This means, guys who look like they got you beat at half track, find themselves picking up the pieces of the havok you just poured on them at the finish line LOL!!

There only a few of us here with the 3.73's... There are alot of guys with the 4.10's... Its us against them.. Remember this next season when we all make it back to the track.. I will call on you to post a 1/4 ET reciept..

Ladies and Gentleman, its the race of the century!! The 05 V6's with 3.73's vs. The 05 V6's with 4.10's.. This fight is scheduled for 5 rounds, but is most likley gonna only last for 1..
Old 11/23/05, 07:43 PM

LOL. You are too much, you can count me in on posting my times!!!!!

Lets get it on!
Old 11/24/05, 07:47 AM
GT Member

I can't say enough how I love the new setup, and thanks for all the feedback and the help that this forum and its members had making my decisions. After having done alot of research I have to say that the 3.73 were just right and am convinced that they will take to the s/c the best. Also the TT will be able to handle the power generated by the S/C and keep both wheels to the ground on takeoff.

Taking turns feels like it just wants to grab and not let go of the ground. I can definitely see and feel what a difference the Detroit TT makes. It almost feels like I have a new set of tires with the amount of grip it gets, and not to mention it feels CRAZY when I stomp on the gas from a standstill - the whole rear trembles and I could swear it takes me back to the old 5.0 days. Like I said even Dan who like many other Mustang pro's are really used to the V8's said he was so impressed at how the mod's worked on the 6 , and that it definitly was not the old school 6'ers anymore.

And yes, MSP, the 3.73's can prove to be the "secret weapon" on the last 1/8th if shifts are set optimally with the s/c.

YUR1279 btw - Dan's shop (realspeed automotive) is in Bohemia, by Macarthur Airport.

All in all , I am quite thankful for my 4.0 ---- Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!
Old 11/24/05, 08:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats man. I have the 3.73s and the TT, but the shop that's going to do it can't get to it until early December. :bang:
Old 11/24/05, 08:17 AM
GT Member

Jimp - I feel your pain... I had to wait 2 weeks for mine too. Everyone seems to want to get those last few mod's done before the winter.

Now I'll hibernate and save my $$$ for the s/c in the spring. Maybe my wife won;t realize it ...
Old 11/24/05, 08:26 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@November 24, 2005, 7:08 AM
Congrats man. I have the 3.73s and the TT, but the shop that's going to do it can't get to it until early December. :bang:

WOW!! Jimp's car is actually in the same class as Scrming's! He pretty much has the total package now.. Nice job Jimp!! The True-Trac is a good choice.. My idea was to wait to see how the FRPP 7.5 would hold up under pressure.. But I sure can respect the fact that you guys went straight for my back-up plan..

Jimp, understanding that you have the nitrous already are you going to stay with the 100shot jets, or increase it to 125 or 150? I think its safe to say you can go with the 150shot.. You may need to replace the plugs, or did Scrming say the stock plugs are cold enough already?

I'm really impressed with Jimp's "Sleeper" mentality.. The guy does not have much to say, but if you look at his list of mods, he's already 12 sec Mustang.. LOL!!
Old 11/24/05, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by MSP@November 24, 2005, 10:29 AM
WOW!! Jimp's car is actually in the same class as Scrming's! He pretty much has the total package now.. Nice job Jimp!! The True-Trac is a good choice.. My idea was to wait to see how the FRPP 7.5 would hold up under pressure.. But I sure can respect the fact that you guys went straight for my back-up plan..

Jimp, understanding that you have the nitrous already are you going to stay with the 100shot jets, or increase it to 125 or 150? I think its safe to say you can go with the 150shot.. You may need to replace the plugs, or did Scrming say the stock plugs are cold enough already?

I'm really impressed with Jimp's "Sleeper" mentality.. The guy does not have much to say, but if you look at his list of mods, he's already 12 sec Mustang.. LOL!!
It will be interesting to see how Jimps car runs with the Zex kit along with the 3.73's in the 1/4 mile. I thought Scrming switched out his spark plugs for the Zex ones? Dosent the racer kit include them?
Old 11/24/05, 08:40 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 24, 2005, 7:34 AM
It will be interesting to see how Jimps car runs with the Zex kit along with the 3.73's in the 1/4 mile. I thought Scrming switched out his spark plugs for the Zex ones? Dosent the racer kit include them?

I may have missed that in regards to the spark plugs.. I thought Scrming said Lidio liked the stock plugs..?

At any rate, it's really good to see everyone with different options around here.. Some guys have 3.73's and 4.10's.. Some guys have FRPP's, while some have True-Tracs.. Be nice if an Auburn rear-end was tried out by someone.. But overall, we have all tried many different combinations.. In time we shall see the differences with all of our choices..
Old 11/24/05, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 24, 2005, 10:29 AM

Couple of comments...

Stock spark plugs... They are actually already a colder plug than the GT, so the heat range should be good... However they should be gapped down a bit... we haven't gotten around to doing that yet... We pulled a couple of plugs and they looked like a plug with 20,000 miles on it... LOL! There was no sign that the nitrous was eating them up... Like some of the plugs I've seen come out of the GTs..

100HP, 125HP and 150HP... I think we can safely run the 125HP jets with a good tune... however going to the 150HP jets will require some work... Mike @ powerhouse pointed out that they ran into some fuel issues at 150HP... The thing is now I spin so bad at 100HP that going to the bigger shot doesn't make sense until I can get some DRs on the car... which won't happen now until next spring.. maybe... LOL!

Which brings up the next point... I just don't think my car or Jimp's will be in the 12's until we switch to a DR or slick... I think the low 13's will be the limit on street tires... I'm going to at least put the girdle on before I go with DRs...

Next spring should be very interesting... hehehe...

Good job guys!

Have a happy turkey day!
Old 11/24/05, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can someone please give me a rough estimate of what it will cost me to have a T-Lok and Gears installed?

Thanks much.
Old 11/24/05, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by scotts05custom@November 24, 2005, 11:42 AM
Can someone please give me a rough estimate of what it will cost me to have a T-Lok and Gears installed?

Thanks much.

Install cost should be 250 to 300. If a shop charges you more than 325, go elswhere. I had a shop quote me 350 on one day, 550 on another day.
Old 11/24/05, 10:59 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@November 24, 2005, 8:39 AM
Couple of comments...

Stock spark plugs... They are actually already a colder plug than the GT, so the heat range should be good... However they should be gapped down a bit... we haven't gotten around to doing that yet... We pulled a couple of plugs and they looked like a plug with 20,000 miles on it... LOL! There was no sign that the nitrous was eating them up... Like some of the plugs I've seen come out of the GTs..

100HP, 125HP and 150HP... I think we can safely run the 125HP jets with a good tune... however going to the 150HP jets will require some work... Mike @ powerhouse pointed out that they ran into some fuel issues at 150HP... The thing is now I spin so bad at 100HP that going to the bigger shot doesn't make sense until I can get some DRs on the car... which won't happen now until next spring.. maybe... LOL!
Which brings up the next point... I just don't think my car or Jimp's will be in the 12's until we switch to a DR or slick... I think the low 13's will be the limit on street tires... I'm going to at least put the girdle on before I go with DRs...

Next spring should be very interesting... hehehe...

Good job guys!

Have a happy turkey day!

I just thought of something myself... For me, the race track is about 150 miles away.. This is the closest one, unless I go to Infineon Raceway which is alittle closer.. However, as I think of the 7.5 along with a 150 shot or lets say a 125 shot, I got the chills..

LOL!! Now what I mean is, lets say I shoot out to the track, and get setup to make my first run.. Since I have the FRPP 7.5, which I am putting alot of faith in, what if..

What if on my first launch I much the spiders.. What if the car is not drivable afterwards? I'll have to tow my car back home.. Or tow it to a shop.. That could easily be $300 bucks.. Then I'll have to order a True Track, for another $400, then another $250-300 to get it put in..

Needless to say, I sure am putting alot of faith in the FRPP up front... I kinda admire Jimp for not being willing to take such a great risk... WOW!! Should the FRPP 7.5 decide to spit spiders, I am in big trouble!

It is highly likley that I'll never be truley a good runner, because of the "What if" factor.. I'll need to think about this..

I am curious about Scrmings situation, because luckily he spins the tires with the 100 shot, releaving some of the stress from his FRPP.. If scrming were to stick his launch with Drag Radials, I wonder what would happen even with a 100shot..

I gotta have respect for the guys who weighed all their options and opted for the more expensive True-Trac... Spitting spiders at a track 150 miles away from home is absolutley scary to me... Man, I never thought of the what if factor, but that what if could mean $1160 bucks before I could even drive the car again.... This is absoluley insane.. Luckily I dont have mine installed yet, so I have more time to think this through.. I do trust in the FRPP with a girdle, but if it does spit spiders, I dont don know how I would react based on the total cost of repair, which a big portion is getting the car back home or to a shop.. :scratch:
Old 11/24/05, 10:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 24, 2005, 11:29 AM

Well, I haven't been able to take mine to the track yet. I'm going to try and get my Zex bottle heater, remote bottle opener and purge kit installed this weekend. I have everything in place for my major rearend upgrade which should happen early next month, I can't wait! I'm planning on using my stock wheels with some drag radials that I will switch out before going to the track. I've been debating on Moser axles. I'd also like to get a dyno tune. I'm trying to get everything setup before I go to the track. Come spring, I hope to have a 12 second car that I can drive to the track and drive home again without worrying about anything breaking. I've been a little more methodical in my approach but it should pay off in the long run.
Old 11/24/05, 11:07 AM
MSP
Banned

I guess the only way I can remedy this, is to never go with Drag radials.. Unlike Jimp and others, can with a good peace of mind slap them on and make good runs..

Stepping back from the situation, it might be cheaper to get the FRPP, but for how long? This is a really dicey situation...

If I knew Scrming made 5 or 8 runs with Drag Radials, I would feel better.. But he has actually never launched his car with DR's...

I guess a decision has to be made.. We either run the FRPP without ever using DR's, and be a 13.xx car.. Or pay the extra bucks for the True-Trac up front and have peace of mind...

Imagine being at the Christmas Tree, and feeling all excited... The dyno session went good, and you got a brand new set of DR's on the car.. The 2nd set of yellow lights flash, and you dump the clutch, pulling the front tires off the ground, and then you hear a boom, grind, grind, clickitty-clang-clang.... Its all gone before you reach the 60'... That is scary! :shock:
Old 11/24/05, 11:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like a great setup you got going. I just looked up the shop, they are 10 minutes from where I live and I never knew they existed. Do you live near them as well? Its nice to see more local 05's on here.
Old 11/24/05, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 24, 2005, 2:10 PM
I guess the only way I can remedy this, is to never go with Drag radials.. Unlike Jimp and others, can with a good peace of mind slap them on and make good runs..

Stepping back from the situation, it might be cheaper to get the FRPP, but for how long? This is a really dicey situation...

If I knew Scrming made 5 or 8 runs with Drag Radials, I would feel better.. But he has actually never launched his car with DR's...

I guess a decision has to be made.. We either run the FRPP without ever using DR's, and be a 13.xx car.. Or pay the extra bucks for the True-Trac up front and have peace of mind...

Imagine being at the Christmas Tree, and feeling all excited... The dyno session went good, and you got a brand new set of DR's on the car.. The 2nd set of yellow lights flash, and you dump the clutch, pulling the front tires off the ground, and then you hear a boom, grind, grind, clickitty-clang-clang.... Its all gone before you reach the 60'... That is scary! :shock:
Well, we know that PowerHouse broke his T-Lok at 12.3. He made many other launches at 12.8 and above. I wouldn't try a 150 shot with a T-Lok. I think I read somewhere that he also broke the stock axles before he upgraded to Mosers. I don't know man.

Quick Reply: Installed my 3.73 and TrueTrac and WOW