V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Im having a serious exhaust problem!

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/06, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having a serious exhaust problem!

Please help if you can.

I went to a muffler shop and told them i want a good sound but wanted to make sure it doesnt sound like honda rice burner but that i wanted dual exhaust. They said i cant go with flowmaster because it will be very high pitched so they put two turbo mufflers.Now there is a constant annoying ticking sound coming from inside the exhaust so i took it back and they said that ticking sound is normal because the v6 engine doesnt give enough power, pretty much he told me it was going to have the ticking sound no matter what....is this true???.....does anyone else have this problem?
Old 9/20/06, 09:39 AM

not true. i have a magnaflow dual setup. sounds great
Old 9/20/06, 02:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard many sets of duals on 4.0 Mustangs, including my own. "Ticking" is not normal, unavoidable or acceptable.
Old 9/20/06, 03:46 PM

I have GT take-off duals with factory H-pipe and GT midpipe. No ticking. It sounds like an exhaust leak. Does the ticking speed up when you give it gas?

-Tom
Old 9/22/06, 03:24 PM

I found that the ticking noise is actually coming from the engine now. So its just amplifying that sound through the exhaust. i took it to the dealer but now they are saying the ticking is due to my cold air intake which i know its not true but my service advisor is working with me about the issue. You see what happened was this:
-a year ago i peeled out a little bit and after the peel out that ticking noise started to come from the engine but i thought it was a normal sound especially after i heard the srt-8 6.1 liter hemi engine making the sound. It was after i put the exhausts that i hear this sound but did not connect the two problems right away.Then i asked my salesman to turn on another new v6 to see if it was making the same engine sound and it wasnt. So now its in the dealer and the mechanic is trying to get away from working on warranty work by saying its the air intake which the noise was there long before i put it on.Wish me luck....thanks for all your posts
Old 9/23/06, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Is your air on?
Old 9/24/06, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

my car is ticking now as well.. every since i got my supercharger installed ive heard it.. when i push on the gas it gets louder and faster and i opened the hood and it sounds like its comming from the right side of the engine (if your standing in front of the car) between the head and the manifold... and when i turn my air conditioning on it gets louder...
Old 9/25/06, 04:26 AM
GT Member

Air conditioner/defrost compressor (or something like that). Known problem and not a dern thing that can be done about it but ignore it.
Old 9/25/06, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Well when im not using my air conditioner the ticking is still there and gets louder as i give it more gas.
Old 9/27/06, 01:15 PM

Well heres the update

The dealer found nothing wrong with it. So i didnt know what to do until a couple of friends got under the car with me and after a long time of trying to see whats going on we have come to the conclusion that it is the type of mufflers.My buddy just got a v6 as well and his does the same ticking noise...so like you guys said its probably the a/c. My friend recomended that i get a muffler that is made for the mustang like magnaflows and it should not tick anymore. So on friday im going to get magnaflows. I really appreciate you guys writing in it really is a big help...thanks!....i let you know if the magnaflows fix the problem
Old 9/29/06, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah the ticking is just the ac compressor, its normal, and it will go away after awhile.
Old 10/3/06, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Whoever told you that flowmasters are highpitched should be shot. They lied to you. They're the best sounding exhaust you can get on a v6 -handsdown. Sorry to hear about your issues.