V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Help! - need some upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/06, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! - need some upgrade advice

Hey everyone,

Right now I'm in the market for some upgrades for my '05 V6 Mustang, and I'm trying to seek out some help from a knowledgable source. I had a chance to talk on the phone with a guy from the Modern Speed Machines website, and he gave me some good advice, but I have some more questions and I have not been able to get a hold of anybody from that site for at least a week... I have a small timeframe during which I can do this work on my car, so I thought I'd just post my questions here and see if any of you can help me out.

The upgrades I'm planning to install are a true dual exhaust system w/ Flowmasters and an X-pipe, and possibly a new throttle body and/or a limited slip differential. I have a few questions about each upgrade...

For the exhaust system-
1. What do I need for a successful true dual pipe conversion on a V6 without messing with the cats (I'm living in CA right now and want to keep it street legal)? Right now I'm under the impression that I need an X- or H-pipe (I chose the X-pipe), midpipes, mounting brackets, and dual axle-back exhaust. Is there anything else? Also, do I need to buy two new midpipes, or can I just buy one and add it to the one that's already on the car?
2. Where can I find some GT take-off midpipes, or comparably priced aftermarket midpipes?
3. I was planning to purchase a Ford Racing X-pipe, but I might go with a Bassani X-pipe instead. Are there any significant performance gains from the Basanni over the FR pipe? Is it worth the extra money?

For the throttle body upgrade- I've heard that upgrading the TB is a good way to gain up to 10HP... is it really a worthwhile upgrade? I'm unfamiliar with the different brands of TBs that are available... does anybody have a recommendation?

And finally, I wanted to ask about the LSD- is this a good upgrade? My car is an automatic, and it's my daily driver... I've already put a CAI/tune on it and I'm looking for something to give it some more kick, but I don't want anything that will be hard on my car's tires or gas mileage. If this is a worthwhile upgrade, which should I install first- the TB or LSD?

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me about this stuff... thanks a lot!

-Rob
Old 12/23/06, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Skip the TB... testing has shown ZERO gains.... plus you an run into other problems... so I would take that one off your list...

The Ford track-lock is a reasonably priced LSD... I've had mine in for 30,000 miles... it has seen a LOT of abuse... no problems...

For duals... can't help you there... I'm a single... LOL
Old 12/23/06, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

for duals, rpm outlet sells motoblue midpipes for the gt stainless for 100 bux. they also have an x pipe, and some cheap axlebacks (motoblue). ninosport has the muffler hangers. You could leave the other midpipe on and buy one, but you have to cut the little bracket thing off.

To get an engineered kit you can get the jba duals with h pipe. only problem is there not stainless, there aluminzied steel (???)

up to you many options. pm me for more info on this
Old 12/24/06, 02:35 PM

scrming- So you really don't think the TB upgrade is a good idea? I've heard from several people that it's one of the best upgrades you can do to make the car faster (after a CAI/tune, of course). But if you don't think so, I'm inclined to take your word for it... does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

As for the LSD... thanks for the recommendation. But do you think it's worth buying one if I plan to use this car as my daily driver? Does it cause any problems with traction, gas mileage, or tire wear? Also, how much does it generally cost to install the LSD? I've heard that doing work on the transmission can get very pricey.

nonstopred- thanks a lot for telling me about the RPM Outlet site... not only did I find the midpipes I was looking for, but there's also a wealth of other information and upgrades.

I'm going to go ahead and send you a PM so we can talk more about the various exhaust options.
Old 12/24/06, 03:49 PM

For the throttle body upgrade- I've heard that upgrading the TB is a good way to gain up to 10HP... is it really a worthwhile upgrade? I'm unfamiliar with the different brands of TBs that are available... does anybody have a recommendation?
I believe Justin from VMP tested the 70mm Throttle Body and saw no gains.
Old 12/24/06, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I would stay away from the TB. I've heard nothing good about any of them. I believe Doug from Bamachips had problems with one. Try a search for throttle body threads.
The Ford t-lok is a good LSD as stated above. That's what I have. It ran me $200 for the part. There are other, heavier duty units out there, Auburn for example or Detriot True Trac, but I think they are more expensive. I have had no problems with it as my daily driver except wanting to stomp the pedal all the time! That's where you'll loose MPG and tire life. The only thing I've noticed about traction is on slippery surfaces you have to be careful, especially when making right hand turns as the rear end will come around a lot easier. If you're thinking about changing your gear ratio the time to do it would be when the rear end is apart for the differential. That will save you extra labor of tearing it apart a second time. I had my differential & gears installed for $300 labor. Gears and a bearing/install kit with rear end fluid can run another $200 for around $700 total depending on where you get parts & labor from.
There are also different opinions on H & X pipes. I just got JBA true duals with the H-pipe. I replaced everything from the cats back but you can also get a good muffler shop to fab a driver's side midpipe and just cut the harmonic balancer thingy off the stock passenger side midpipe. A lot of guys have gone that route. Don't forget you'll need to either notch your rear bumper or buy a GT or similar replacement bumper for the dual outlets.
Old 12/24/06, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RobsH66
scrming- So you really don't think the TB upgrade is a good idea? I've heard from several people that it's one of the best upgrades you can do to make the car faster (after a CAI/tune, of course). But if you don't think so, I'm inclined to take your word for it... does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

As for the LSD... thanks for the recommendation. But do you think it's worth buying one if I plan to use this car as my daily driver? Does it cause any problems with traction, gas mileage, or tire wear? Also, how much does it generally cost to install the LSD? I've heard that doing work on the transmission can get very pricey.

nonstopred- thanks a lot for telling me about the RPM Outlet site... not only did I find the midpipes I was looking for, but there's also a wealth of other information and upgrades.

I'm going to go ahead and send you a PM so we can talk more about the various exhaust options.
As others have pointed out, a couple of very well respected shops have tested TB's on our cars and have shown zero gains... so when it comes to TB's... save your money...
Old 2/16/07, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by scrming
The Ford track-lock is a reasonably priced LSD... I've had mine in for 30,000 miles... it has seen a LOT of abuse... no problems...
Where is the best place to to get this Ford track-lock thing?
Old 2/16/07, 09:57 PM
Former Vendor

Go with Ninosport.

Do a search on this forum about RPM Outlet. You will be less than pleased with the service!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/17/07, 06:28 AM

Ninosport? What is that a store, brand, part? Sorry confused...
Old 2/17/07, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor

It's an online webstore who happens to make their own exhaust setup as well.

I'd have to be crazy to refer you to my competition, but there's no way in hell anyone should have to go through what RPM Outlet puts people through.
Old 2/17/07, 11:15 AM

Well, I guess I should be asking: Can I just put in this Trac-Lock without changing my rear end gears [I do not want to change the ratio]. Hopefully I am correct about Trac-Lock about making the rear end limited slip [both tires spend with burning rubber!].

Edit: thank you for your help... you are being very kind. Perhaps I should have bought my CAI/Tune from you guys [not that brendspeed has been bad or anything].
Old 2/17/07, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor

The ratio isn't what would matter. Just as long as we order it for the right spline, and rear size you'll be fine with stock gears. I can sell you the Ford Racing Trac-Lock for $254.99 shipped. It's a really nice product, and I believe is manufactured by Eaton for Ford.

As far as the CAI/Tune... it's cool! Brenspeed does great stuff, too. Let me know if I can help you out on this, or maybe the next item you're looking for!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/31/07, 11:15 PM
GT Member

stupid question

If you have traction control can you stiil run a trac-lok? will the two work together?
Old 4/1/07, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustangcr8z
If you have traction control can you stiil run a trac-lok? will the two work together?
yep... no problem...
Old 4/3/07, 11:40 PM
Cobra R Member

maybe some pullies, which should put more hp and ft-lbs. to the ground. Most of the problems with the TB's are user install, and the V6's have proven little gains with them without going larger F.I. The V8's have proven bigger gains if adjusted and installed to the right voltage from what I hear. I will be trying out a TB soon though as I am not sold on the fact that BBK would make a product that doesnt work and is just a big problem, thats just not them.