V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT take off muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/05, 04:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the GT muffler fit perfectly on the v6? or does the tip stick out a lot? Also.. anyone selling a right GT take off muffler?
Old 6/26/05, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fits perfectly, and Casco. Run a search for "casco" and youll find pleanty of links and info about it
Old 6/26/05, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

The tips are straight instead of curving downward like on the stock muffler, so they stick out quite a bit more. Personally I think the look is much nicer. Looks like serious business Don't know of anyone selling just the right muffler, but Casco sells the pair for really cheap ("cascotech" on eBay). I paid around 75 with shipping. Someone priced the right side only at Ford and it was 200 bucks!

[attachmentid=25744]
Old 6/27/05, 01:48 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,814 Likes on 2,084 Posts
http://crashparts.cascocompany.net/

I stock The Needed Brackets! clevparts@aol.com

kc
Old 6/28/05, 01:50 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tres Wright@June 26, 2005, 9:45 PM
The tips are straight instead of curving downward like on the stock muffler, so they stick out quite a bit more. Personally I think the look is much nicer. Looks like serious business Don't know of anyone selling just the right muffler, but Casco sells the pair for really cheap ("cascotech" on eBay). I paid around 75 with shipping. Someone priced the right side only at Ford and it was 200 bucks!

[attachmentid=25744]
You have a sound clip of those, thats my next mod, {dual GT mufflers} but I'd like to hear them.
Old 6/28/05, 12:04 PM
GT Member

We purchased the GT takeoff's from Mike @ Cosco. My wife and I did the right side several weeks back and this Friday, the stang goes in to complete the dual conversion. I ordered the left side hangers from Kevin [05stangkc] - great guy to deal with.

As far as the sound, it's much more noticeable [deeper] then the stock V6 muffler and after 3-4 weeks, the sounds gets more mellow. I can't wait for Friday when we get to hear both mufflers running...
Old 6/28/05, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

What type of mid pipe are you going to run?
Old 6/28/05, 12:49 PM
GT Member

I'm working with a local exhaust guru [in the business for almost 50 years] who is going to tie into the "y" pipe. I inquired about an "x" pipe and he feels I don't need to spend the xtra $$$. We've come to an agreement that if his solution doesn't work, we'll go with the "x" pipe but he won't charge the labor for redoing the work. At this point, I'm going to trust his judgment and see what happens...
Old 6/28/05, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Please let us know. Im thinking of doing the duals and havent decided on wether to just connect to the Y or do the X option. Im interesyed to see how yours works out !! Good Luck !!
Old 6/28/05, 04:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think it'd be good to make another y after Ford's y, similar to the way JBA does it. That would act very similar to an x pipe since it basically would look like an offset, lengthy in the middle one.

When you say "tie in to the current y" is that attaching a straight pipe similar to what Tres did, or does it mean adding an upside down y?
Old 6/28/05, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

I have got GT take offs installed. I order the Drivers side exhaust pipe for the GT from my dealer. I then cut out my own rear bumper after makeing a template of the passenger side and transfered it to the drivers side I used a dremal tool to make the cut. Looks very nicly done. I just added a custom reverse Y after the stock Y pipe, Less proplems with warranty issuses later if it ever arises. Plus so far all the aftermarket duels are using Y pipes. You figure with all their time and research and that is what most are doing, I'll go with that way too....Just my 2 cents worth. Talk about a sweet sounding V6. Plus this way if I ever have to reverse it back I only have to by the exhaust pipe for the rear part of the V6 to make it stock again. Except for the bumper of course. On the intake side I have the K&N drop in filter, and no retuneing required.
Old 6/28/05, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

K this is my knowledge of mid pipes and their effect on the torque of a car:
The closer to the engine (cats w/e) you place the midpipe, the better low end torque you are going to see, with reduced high end The visa versa is also true. Sooo if you place a reverse Y-pipe right ahead of the rear axle, what kind of power gains/losses are you going to see?
Old 6/28/05, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Zodiac@June 28, 2005, 8:09 PM
K this is my knowledge of mid pipes and their effect on the torque of a car:
The closer to the engine (cats w/e) you place the midpipe, the better low end torque you are going to see, with reduced high end The visa versa is also true. Sooo if you place a reverse Y-pipe right ahead of the rear axle, what kind of power gains/losses are you going to see?
I didn't know that, I wouldn't think you'd lose anything on a reverse y, since you arent opening the exhaust a whole lot, and are keeping a system to balance out both sides from exhaust pressure.
really i'm not 100% on what would happen, only the dyno knows all.
Old 6/28/05, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

==I think it'd be good to make another y after Ford's y, similar to the way JBA does it. That would act very similar to an x pipe since it basically would look like an offset, lengthy in the middle one.==

I do believe this is the best way to do it as well, based on reading many posts by pre-05 V6 owners and their dyno results. The general consensus is "true" duals don't allow enough backpressure for the V6 to run at peak efficiency.

EDIT, I forgot to say the above backpressure comment is if you run 2-1/2" pipes all the way. 2-1/4" true duals are supposed to be fine.

The way the muffler shop hooked mine up I did end up with true duals, surprisingly it doesn't sound as deep as it did with the single GT muffler. It still sounds good, you really wouldn't know the difference unless you were really listening for the difference like I was. Honestly the duals over single GT muffler did not change the sound much and did not result in any noticable performance improvement (or loss). If you do it, do it because you want to see two tailpipes sticking out of the back (that was my reason)
Old 6/28/05, 11:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I crave the look as well, gains or no gains. Obviously I dont want losses.
Old 6/28/05, 11:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Tres.. if thats true and you've got true duals you're in the same boat as I am. Im going to have an H-pipe installed shortly and seeing how that does by the ole' SOTP and ears dyno.
Old 6/29/05, 12:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would like to hear gains as well. Right now i'm eyeing either magnaflows or JBA's, should come to a decision within the next week or so.
Old 7/1/05, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

==Hey Tres.. if thats true and you've got true duals you're in the same boat as I am. Im going to have an H-pipe installed shortly and seeing how that does by the ole' SOTP and ears dyno. ==

Let me know how that goes!

I edited my above post, I forgot to say I was talking about 2-1/2" pipes. The GT mufflers are 2-1/2" as is the stock single exhaust, so if you're doing the GT muffler thing, you're pretty well stuck with 2-1/2". I see JBA has a true duals setup now, I'm curious to see if it's 2-1/4".

Surprisingly, my GT mufflers continue to mellow. They do sound quite good. I had to take my car in for a day to get the popping struts fixed. I got saddled with a minivan (the horror!) and getting back in the 'stang at the end of the day made me appreciate much more how good those mufflers sound
Old 7/1/05, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

Oh, just remembered something funny. When I was picking up my car at the service department, the service girl (how often do you see that?) drove up and dropped it off under the canopy. Of course the echoing made it sound really rumbly. Two of the guys behind the counter were talking about it and one looked up and said "that's a GT, right?" I said no, it's the 6. They both looked really confused, like they didn't believe me or I was pulling their legs- haha!
Old 7/1/05, 09:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thats great, a compliment as well.
Do you have fogs of any kind on yours btw?

Quick Reply: GT take off muffler question