V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Got my procharged stang back... update

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/05, 02:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I finally got my car back, 7PSI Procharger installed.

First, the downside:

They're still having problems working out the air/fuel mixture at high RPMs... the mix is fine until about 5200, then it leans out really quickly. So they have still not done a WOT run with it. I have it back for the time being, but will be bringing it back next weekend (I'll be out of the country anyway) for them to finish the tune. So far they've needed a new MAF meter, and they possibly will need to install bigger injectors.

The upshot is that Procharger is supplying these components for free.

The other upshot is that my tune, rather than being the canned one that came with the unit (which was beyond worthless, done on outdated software that couldn't even interface with my car), will be a custom job, done through a collaboration with Diablo and the shop.

So, essentially, I have the car back but it's not done. It's putting down 280 RWHP at 5200 RPM, and from the curve, will easily hit 300 by redline. Max torque is in the 275 range at 5000, but that will likely change as well. Still, not bad for a little v6 auto with an incomplete tune.

Now, as for how it drives...

First impressions...

It sounds awesome. Not terribly loud, but you definitely hear the whine past 2000. At idle there's a slight rattle and squeak, but it sounds good.

The kit is clean, fit perfectly into the engine. No install issues, nothing. Quick, easy job.

Power... it's there. No doubt. It's funny, I noticed when pulling onto the highway that my revs didn't seem to drop. I had just merged on, going down the ramp around 30/35, and gave it a little gas to match traffic. A few seconds later, cruising in the middle lane I noticed I was around 3000 RPMs. Checked to make sure my OD was on... fine. No warning lights, nothing.

Looked down at the speedo, and realized that in that few seconds I had shot up to 98. Whoops.

The car no longer downshifts when I need a little juice. Even in overdrive I've got enough passing power to pull out of any situation.

And from a dead start? If I torque it a little bit before I let off the brakes, the tires scream. I still don't want to push it until the tune is finished, though. So the full, full review will have to wait a week or two.

And a HUGE thank you to Jay, the tuner Jeff, and the other guys at Ryan's Performance Machines in Garner, NC. These guys have put a pooload of work into making sure the car is perfect. Hours and hours of time on the dyno and working on the custom tune, because they don't consider it done until it's flawless.

Some of the most knowledgeable guys I've met, and darn patient, too. They have that LS1 sickness, so they've full of Camaros and Firebirds over there, but that's ok.

So again, I can't thank them enough. They've got my business for life.
Old 12/9/05, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the update! If I was a betting man I would say the injectors will fix things right up! LOL! I know Lidio is bundling injectors in with his Vortech setup... but for the life of me I can't remember what size... sorry...

Nice HP numbers so far! Looking forward to seeing how the car runs with the new MAF, Injectors and fully tuned!
Old 12/9/05, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the post, I hope that they sort everything out so you can tell us what that procharger can really do.
Old 12/9/05, 02:23 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Maija@December 9, 2005, 1:17 PM
Thanks for the post, I hope that they sort everything out so you can tell us what that procharger can really do.
I would say 280rwhp, up from 162rwhp the procharger is putting on a show at 7psi.. This is at 5200rpm.. This is great news.. Kudos to the aurthor!
Old 12/9/05, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! Numbers are looking great, can't wait to see how it pans out with the tune.
Old 12/9/05, 03:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow! Now I'm really confused about which SC/TC to get.
Old 12/9/05, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Jimp@December 9, 2005, 6:19 PM
One thing at a time, Jimpanzee! I am anxious to see how the Vortech kit is going to work out. No offense to Belial, but I have not hear anything good about Procharger. So, Belial, if that SC starts to leak, keep on them! I really hope it works out, though, and I am sure that your shop can fix any issues as they arise.

Man, but the power of that thing is undeniable! Watch yourself! 98 in no time, eh?
Old 12/9/05, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jimp@December 9, 2005, 5:19 PM
yeah... I don't know what to think... I like the ideas of power all the time... but I think all it would do is get me in trouble... That's why I like the Zex WITHOUT the bottle opener... No temptation to do something stupid on the street... LOL! Having the SC/TC would be very cool... but at the track I love the 384RWTQ... That's what gets you off the line and sits you back.. man... I like the HP numbers Belial is getting but I'm not ready to give up the Zex's torque numbers either... LOL!
Old 12/9/05, 06:43 PM

Any speculation on what his TQ numbers will look like when everything is sorted out with his configuration?
Old 12/9/05, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by scrming@December 9, 2005, 9:43 PM
yeah... I don't know what to think... I like the ideas of power all the time... but I think all it would do is get me in trouble... That's why I like the Zex WITHOUT the bottle opener... No temptation to do something stupid on the street... LOL! Having the SC/TC would be very cool... but at the track I love the 384RWTQ... That's what gets you off the line and sits you back.. man... I like the HP numbers Belial is getting but I'm not ready to give up the Zex's torque numbers either... LOL!
I'm thinking I'll use both. Right now I'm leaning towards the X-Charger.
Old 12/9/05, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 9, 2005, 8:46 PM
Any speculation on what his TQ numbers will look like when everything is sorted out with his configuration?
He mentions 300 or so at redline... That's the thing about N2O... When it kicks on (last dyno sesson we sprayed at about 2200 RPM) the torque goes through the roof! LOL! So while the SC/TC make more HP, the N2O seems to have more torque... plus I could possibly go to the 125HP jets... The Zex kit has performed beautifully so far... So is it really worth spending $3500+ to get that kind of HP while I'm driving on the street... There's nothing that says I can't spray on the street... the main reason I don't is because there's no reason too! LOL!
Old 12/9/05, 07:02 PM
V6 Member

The guys there are guessing (conservatively) around 285-290 peak TQ, which is definitely well under scrming's absurd figures! The horsepower numbers, though... well, ~300 RWHP for a v6 auto is pretty much beyond my expectations. I hate to say this, because I hate Procharger's advertising attitude, but... believe the hype. They're putting out every bit as much power as they advertised.

Now the biggest determinant should really be my 1/4 mile slips. I won't know what those are until this tune is finished and until I at least get my detroit truetrac in the back.

And, scrming, I think you're right on the injector issue. I know Procharger FINALLY agreed (just today in fact, when I got the car back) to eat the cost of the injectors, so they won't cost me a darn thing. (And Ryan's Performance said they'd instally 'em for free). If that IS the case, this whole problem should be fixed pretty easily.

I gotta say, though, after taking the car down the highway earlier today, I'm getting hooked. It's like driving an entirely new car. My dad has a 2005 Boxster S which I've had the pleasure of opening up, and while the feeling isn't QUITE the same (The boxster is a mid-engined, zippy, high-revving little cuss), I'd say I could probably hang with him, certainly once the tune is finished.
Old 12/9/05, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jimp@December 9, 2005, 8:59 PM
I'm thinking I'll use both. Right now I'm leaning towards the X-Charger.

I was too... but not the X-charger.. use the Zex to get you started until the Vortech kicks in! LOL!

Thing is I need to look at my goals... I want to break into the 12's next year... I think I can do that with out an S/C or Turbo... so I take that money and use it on tires and the rear end stuff... PHP's car got in the 12 with just the 75HP shot.. LOL!
Old 12/9/05, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Belial@December 9, 2005, 4:03 PM
Ok, so I finally got my car back, 7PSI Procharger installed.

//
And a HUGE thank you to Jay, the tuner Jeff, and the other guys at Ryan's Performance Machines in Garner, NC. These guys have put a //
Hey, we're neighbors (close anyhow) I live just outside of Buies Creek. Would love to see your 'stang sometime with the S/C installed.

Any chance you're in the Hearth of Carolina Mutang Club? I just joined up about a month or two back...
Old 12/9/05, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

So far they've needed a new MAF meter, and they possibly will need to install bigger injectors.
Good info let us know what they used when you find out.
The upshot is that Procharger is supplying these components for free.
Very nice but Procharger on the other hand is getting R&D from your car.
The other upshot is that my tune, rather than being the canned one that came with the unit (which was beyond worthless, done on outdated software that couldn't even interface with my car), will be a custom job, done through a collaboration with Diablo and the shop.
Belial what year is your car? If it is a 06 is this the same know problem that the Diablosport has on some 06’s?
It sounds awesome. Not terribly loud
You know someone here mention that the ProCharger was real loud but maybe this unit for the V6 is different. So would you say its not LOUD I mean you can hear it but you wouldn’t call it loud?

Belial you are getting good numbers so far and it is not done, I mean you are close to the their 9psi what's up with that?

So you had a few problems on a unit that just came which seems that will be straighten fairly quickly no problem after all it is a brand new charger. The next thing after everything is straighten out is to see how it run’s daily weekly monthly hopefully good.

Of course you know to diff keep the car under 5k right now.

I can’t wait to get charged.

Thanks for the update and keep posting.
Old 12/10/05, 12:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Pics?

What exhaust setup are you running?
Old 12/10/05, 12:59 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@December 9, 2005, 2:19 PM
I honestly think we should all get something different.. Maybe I should just get the Powerdyne SC350.. This way, we will have all of them..

I want the one, no one else wants!! LOL!!
Old 12/10/05, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by MSP@December 10, 2005, 3:02 PM
I honestly think we should all get something different.. Maybe I should just get the Powerdyne SC350.. This way, we will have all of them..

Well you will definitely be unique, Powerdyne with a MAC ProChamber. Personally I am not sure yet, I will see how everything plays out...but I do like the thought of a N20/Turbo setup.
Old 12/10/05, 01:46 PM

Oh and MSP, what ever happened to those drag racing rims you were looking into? Still on your list?
Old 12/10/05, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Here ya go!!! LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: Got my procharged stang back... update