V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Got my Dunlop Winter M3 tires

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 10:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went out and picked up a set of 4 Dunlop Wintersport M3's and it was worth it. I had the old Comp T/A's taken off the stock 16" rims and had the 215/65/16's installed. These tires look mean and got to test it in the snow ....

Sunday - It had snowed (2-3 inches) on Sunday morning and I got to drive my stang in it with the stock tires - NOT FUN. Even with the TT and tuning it to stock 87 with only the 3.73 mod it still was horrible, It kept spinning in place and took turns like a drifter. It scared me so that on Monday morning I was at the tire store waiting on line...

Monday - Had them put on and checked them out. By then the snow was really gone, but got to test them @ highway speeds and some handling. They really surprised me by how good they handled. Really not that much noise onhighway ( but then again I have Dual Magnaflows and 3.73 that push me to almost 2500rpms at 70 and reallly make the exhaust humm ) They felt very stable and not mushy like some other winter tires. Keep in mind these are winter performance tires and they really live up to it. I did not want to have a set of tires that make me have to stay under 50mph, and these were the trick

Tuesday - Got another 2-3 inches and I got to test them out in the snow & slush. It was a completely different car!! It would at times spin the rear tires for a half second or so and instantly grip after that - and that was with my 93 No torque slimiters etc... tune running. WIth the 87 stock that kills the throttle lag I doubt they would have even spun at all. I took turns around my neighborhood at normal speeds and it stuck to the road like an SUV. I was incredibly impressed with the difference,

Bottom Line- I would recommend these tires to anyone that has a pony that needs to see the snow as well. These defintiely will make your car driveable. I felt 100% confident with the set. Expecting snow again on Friday and I'll be able to get it on the freeway that day as well for further testing...

I'm keeping these tires on the stock rims and getting 17 bullits from my friends take-offs in the spring win win situation
Old 12/7/05, 12:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nice, you answered oen question I had and that was how does a V6 with a tune and gears handle in the snow on stock tires. I think i'm going to be doing the same thign as you, gettign snow tires soon and in the spring get a set of 17's for the summer.
Old 12/7/05, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for this, I will look into it immediately. You live near the DC metro area, we just got snow and are expected to get more on friday.
Old 12/7/05, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Woohoo for GA.. no that ever sticks! Boy howdy I can run drag radials year round .... in theory.
Old 12/7/05, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zodiac@December 7, 2005, 3:37 PM
Woohoo for GA.. no that ever sticks! Boy howdy I can run drag radials year round .... in theory.

Whatever!!! Rub it in!!!

J/K

Old 12/7/05, 05:02 PM
GT Member

I'm on Long Island (New York) and we seem to get all type of weather... 90's hot and humid in summer and down to single digits and snow in the winter. Atleast we get a couple of months of ideal driving weather in between

I'll post some pics this weekend of the new shoes on the pony
Old 12/9/05, 06:52 AM
GT Member

***UPDATE***

Friday - We got snow and took out the pony for work. This is a night and day difference. It was fresh snow (about 2 inches) and non plowed streets that I had traveled on just a few days ago in with similar weather conditions. But this time things were VERY different.

I was shocked what a difference tires actually make. BTW - I have also put in 120lbs sand (in bags ofcourse...) in the rear and a full tank of gas. There was NO evidence of any drifting in turns or any spinning out of the rear or front tires. I though for a minute that I was driving a 4wd! I was actually driving the 20+ miles to work sipping my coffee and listening to the radio and not once feeeling an ounce of worry or aprehension.

I drove up inclines and gave it moderate gas and it held on like it was on rails. Someone saw me pullin in and couldn;t believe I had made it to work in my yellow stang. They said other cars were getting stuck going up the inclince and were skidding around in the parking lot. Not once did it skid or loose any control.

So - If like me you were wondering what could you do to get your stang through the winter snow and if tires really would make a difference, all I have to say to you is - Dunlop M3's. I didn;t feel like gambling $600 total for the tires installed with tax etc... especially after getting my Detroit TT and gears put in 2 weeks ago - but now that I have, I would have spent twice as much knowing what a diff it is. Don;t worry if you need to drive in the white stuff. I can report to you all that with some weight in the rear and the tires you will not be worrying about the roads. Also I think the TT has also improved it by leaps and bounds by giving me the LSP.

Hope this helps everyone here and stay safe on the roads....
Old 12/9/05, 11:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where on Long Island did you get yours from? The more I think about it, the better snow tires sound to me.
Old 12/10/05, 05:55 AM
GT Member

I ended getting them at Mavis in Sysosset. I probably could have gotten them a little bit cheaper, but they were the only place that had them in stock and could install same day. Basically the price was same at all places around here - cheaper online ( but still would have had to pay for shipping and install - so kinda balances out )

I'm going to take some pics today and post . They look like some wicked tough tires on the car.

If you got to drive it during the winter and in our kind of weather - get them. I read the reviews for them on some sites and didn;t believe it as much , but I am a believer now ...