V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Got Dyno'd Today

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, I've done about all the mods I'm going to do for a while (YEAH RIGHT!) so I figured since I didn't get the car dyno'd along the way to see a progression I might as well do it now.
I only got like one and a half pulls because they said the car was running too lean.
I did the first pull with the 93 torque tune in it and it did not complete.
The A/F ratio was between 14.5 and 16:1.
I loaded the 93 performance tune and it did better.
The A/F was at 14 or 15:1
It pulled 195.93 SAE HP and 204.10 ft-lbs torque.
I've contacted Doug to see if I need to get adjusted tunes for the A/F and if he says I do then I'll reflash and have the dyno run again.
Anyway, here's my sheet. The blue lines are the first run with the torque tune and the red is the performance tune.
Sorry for the bad pic. I don't have a scanner and had to use my digital camera.
Old 1/17/06, 04:58 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by garyb900@January 17, 2006, 3:15 PM
Well, I've done about all the mods I'm going to do for a while (YEAH RIGHT!) so I figured since I didn't get the car dyno'd along the way to see a progression I might as well do it now.
I only got like one and a half pulls because they said the car was running too lean.
I did the first pull with the 93 torque tune in it and it did not complete.
The A/F ratio was between 14.5 and 16:1.
I loaded the 93 performance tune and it did better.
The A/F was at 14 or 15:1
It pulled 195.93 SAE HP and 204.10 ft-lbs torque.
I've contacted Doug to see if I need to get adjusted tunes for the A/F and if he says I do then I'll reflash and have the dyno run again.
Anyway, here's my sheet. The blue lines are the first run with the torque tune and the red is the performance tune.
Sorry for the bad pic. I don't have a scanner and had to use my digital camera.

The answer is that the specific energy, not the heat value, determines the potential for a fuel to generate power. If more fuel can be burnt effectively with a given amount of air then more power will result, but this should not be taken as meaning that just adding more fuel necessarily always means more power. The stoichiometric (chemically correct) air/fuel (A/F) ratio for gasoline is approximately 14.7:1 but best power is achieved at richer A/F ratios around 12-13:1. This is partly because of the charge cooling effect of the extra fuel and also because the presence of slight excess fuel means all the air in the charge will be burnt. Further enrichment beyond this point will cause power to fall. If gasoline were treated to contain oxygen then the stoichiometric A/F ratio and that for best power would reduce because the fuel would then need less air to form a combustible charge. It would therefore then be possible to burn more fuel and the specific energy of the charge would increase accordingly. Oxygenated compounds such as MTBE (18.2% O2 by weight) are sometimes blended into racing gasoline for this purpose as well as for the increased resistance to detonation. It should be remembered that air contains only 23% oxygen by weight so quite modest additions of oxygenates to the fuel can make a measurable difference.

Good job posting your results..

I would say based on your A/F ratio, you left about 10HP on the table... So your not doing that bad really..
Old 1/17/06, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 17, 2006, 7:01 PM

Good job posting your results..

I would say based on your A/F ratio, you left about 10HP on the table... So your not doing that bad really..
Thanks, this is all pretty new to me so I don't fully understand everything. But, I am learning and everyone here has helped quite a bit through all the information sharing.
Old 1/17/06, 05:51 PM
GT Member

gary, if i may ask, what is your mpg/fuel economy with the c&l. I have the same setup with JBAs but i have dual exhaust. I was wondering how bad the c&l consumes more gas because of more air. I use my stang for a daily driver and just curious on the mpg.

Good job reaching the 195hp mark...
Old 1/17/06, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds good. I'm going to be getting a C&L w/ bamachips tune soon along with Gt takeoff dual exhaust so I'm hoping to be around these numbers too! Nice job on your car!
Old 1/17/06, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice mods and nice pulls! Hope you get the A/F fixed---wonder what Doug's take on this will be?

As for the numbers....it seems like nearly everybody's sheet for the 05/06 V6 autos shows the "blip' around 5300-5400 RPMs...this is presumeably from the torque converter locking up, which causes that blip, or spike. So....I think you have to look "through" the spike for your number, and might not want to use the peak of the spike. When I look at your sheet, I see about 185, maybe 190 HP. The blip zips it up to 195 or so.

When scrming posts a sheet, you'll see his peak is gone! He said that Lidio forces the torque converter to lock up really early so the blip is gone...

Anyhow, food for thought!
Old 1/17/06, 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys,

I think I have it solved, it seems that the Auto cars tend to use a different adjustment for the C&L then the manuals for some odd reason? I reviewed the two cars I've dynoed and sure enough they had different values for the a/f settings to correct the a/f.

I'm going to go back to the dyno either this weekend or Monday with the C&L kit and an automatic and check it again for safety. In the mean time I've sent Gary three new tunes that I made on the dyno with an auto car, Larry's, so this should be perfect for him. if you've purchase a C&L combo kit from me and have an auto or would just like a new program to ensure saftey then please email me and I'll gladly send you a new set of tunes.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 1/17/06, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Doug904@January 17, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,

I think I have it solved, it seems that the Auto cars tend to use a different adjustment for the C&L then the manuals for some odd reason? I reviewed the two cars I've dynoed and sure enough they had different values for the a/f settings to correct the a/f.

I'm going to go back to the dyno either this weekend or Monday with the C&L kit and an automatic and check it again for safety. In the mean time I've sent Gary three new tunes that I made on the dyno with an auto car, Larry's, so this should be perfect for him. if you've purchase a C&L combo kit from me and have an auto or would just like a new program to ensure saftey then please email me and I'll gladly send you a new set of tunes.

Thanks, Doug.
Yeah the C&L was definitely interesting... couldn't believe how much +fuel it took... and in different spots... but eventually Lidio nailed it...

Gary... nice numbers! But man does he have a goofy TC spike! LOL!
Old 1/17/06, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gary... great numbers! I'm not sure how we match up... I used a Mustang dyno as opposed to your dynojet. I got 189.8 max hp/199.8 max tq. I wish someone had a Mustang dyno to dynojet converter!

Doug... I'm very interested in your new tunes for the auto and the C&L!
Old 1/17/06, 10:40 PM
Cobra R Member

There is no "conversion" because the mustang dyno simulates load and what not.

I think a stock gt auto puts down in the 260 range on a dynojet and 235 on a mustang dyno, give or take a few. So you can safely say your 189.8 is close to 200-205 on a dynojet at least
Old 1/17/06, 10:44 PM
GT Member

any comments on mpg/fuel economy with the c&l???
Old 1/17/06, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Island... I haven't noticed an increase in mileage with the C&L and a 91 octane tune. But, it's only been a couple of tanks.
Old 1/17/06, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 17, 2006, 9:43 PM
There is no "conversion" because the mustang dyno simulates load and what not.

I think a stock gt auto puts down in the 260 range on a dynojet and 235 on a mustang dyno, give or take a few. So you can safely say your 189.8 is close to 200-205 on a dynojet at least
I've been doing a little research on the differences between dynojets and mustang dynos. In general, I've read the Mustang dyno generally shows 10-15% less than the dynojet. I think you're probably right.

Of course, numbers are just for show, right? I'll get out to the track in the spring and see what she can do!
Old 1/18/06, 04:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by islandmustang@January 17, 2006, 7:54 PM
gary, if i may ask, what is your mpg/fuel economy with the c&l. I have the same setup with JBAs but i have dual exhaust. I was wondering how bad the c&l consumes more gas because of more air. I use my stang for a daily driver and just curious on the mpg.

Good job reaching the 195hp mark...
I haven't noticed any decrease in fuel economy with the C&L, only when my foot gets heavy.
I drive 20 miles to work each day and I have been getting about the same mileage as before I did the intake and tunes.

I just got Dougs tunes and am going to get them downloaded today and in the car to see how it goes. I probly will try to get back to the dyno next Tuesday.
Old 1/18/06, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Gary... let us know how the new tunes are! Doug emailed too... he said he'd get new tunes to me once he dynos the auto with the C&L again.
Old 1/18/06, 10:30 PM
GT Member

looking foward to the feedback of the new tunes...
Old 1/19/06, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for all the kind words everybody. It's really cool to have this network of folks to share info, etc.
I put the new tunes in my Xcal last night and put the new 93 performance tune in the car.
It seems even more responsive than it was before.
It also seems like it idles better and runs a little cooler if that makes any sense? I don't know if the A/F effects those things or not or if it's just my imagination.
I really did not get a good chance to test it as I only was able to drive to work and back today in traffic. I'll try to get out Saturday or Sunday but they're calling for possible snow here I heard so we'll have to wait and see. Also Doug is going back to the dyno Monday to see if he can do any more with the A/F so I am waiting for his results before I go back to the dyno. I'll let you all know how it goes after.