V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Getting the Vortech :)

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06, 07:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my $$$ in my S/C account and the day has come. Luckily it was a GREAT XMAS and I had a bunch of side jobs and I hit my target. Now with $ in hand I am looking to see exactly which Kit I am getting put on my pony. Probably will get it done end of this month or early next. Dan and I are still trying to get everything lined up - and that includes our schedules.

And it looks like I have narrowed down my choice to Vortech. I was going to wait for explorer express, but honestly for the $$ the Vortech looks like it is the best deal for me. Not the aftercooled one - I've heard alot of negatives about this one and seems like the regular SQ works great.

I am not going to bicker over 10 or 20 horse difference between one kit or another and reason being because in the end they will almost all be limited to what the car's tranny/Driveshaft/Pistons etc.. can ultimatley handle without failing or needing to be replaced prior and how good the tuner is. Also Vortech has been around forever and I am not looking to have the s/c go on really under 3,000 rpms so that it lenghtens my cars life - just a little even so...

The kit does not come with fuel pump, injectors or a tune so that is what I'll need to supply as well. At the end of the day I would love to know that this 6 can take on a 350z or a GT (no offense GT guys) and
only see them in my rear view mirror

I will definitly keep evryone updated and feel free to chime in some advice or things to look out for etc...

Old 1/5/06, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, excellent news. What is the total cost, Vortech and parts you need to supply plus labor?

Keep us posted.
Old 1/5/06, 09:28 AM
GT Member

Exact cost is still being worked out - but figuring so far 2500 for the S/C tuner kit + injectors ($300 +/-) + fuel pump (200+/-) + install , dyno and tune ( still to be completely determined ).

Vortech is saying they will have a full kit including all the parts by end of month early next - so am thinking of holding out til then to see what they are offering and pricing. Won;t be too much differentin $ probably - but would like to see what exactly their config is...

BTW - the compromise with the wife for me getting the s/c - she gets to stay home for atleast 1 year after we have our first ( she's expecting in June ). So that means I need to get all the toys I can get now, before I have to start buying them for the baby ... LOL
Old 1/5/06, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Congrats screaminyellin6 on your first on the way and the S/C.

This is cool we will have representatives from all S/C camps.

screaminyellin6
I am not going to bicker over 10 or 20 horse difference between one kit or another
+1 Totally agree comes down to the complete package positives & negatives (what’s better for me IMO) and they all have them.

Looking forward to reading you post on your S/C.
Old 1/5/06, 11:01 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by screaminyellin6@January 5, 2006, 6:57 AM
I got my $$$ in my S/C account and the day has come. Luckily it was a GREAT XMAS and I had a bunch of side jobs and I hit my target. Now with $ in hand I am looking to see exactly which Kit I am getting put on my pony. Probably will get it done end of this month or early next. Dan and I are still trying to get everything lined up - and that includes our schedules.

And it looks like I have narrowed down my choice to Vortech. I was going to wait for explorer express, but honestly for the $$ the Vortech looks like it is the best deal for me. Not the aftercooled one - I've heard alot of negatives about this one and seems like the regular SQ works great.

I am not going to bicker over 10 or 20 horse difference between one kit or another and reason being because in the end they will almost all be limited to what the car's tranny/Driveshaft/Pistons etc.. can ultimatley handle without failing or needing to be replaced prior and how good the tuner is. Also Vortech has been around forever and I am not looking to have the s/c go on really under 3,000 rpms so that it lenghtens my cars life - just a little even so...

The kit does not come with fuel pump, injectors or a tune so that is what I'll need to supply as well. At the end of the day I would love to know that this 6 can take on a 350z or a GT (no offense GT guys) and
only see them in my rear view mirror

I will definitly keep evryone updated and feel free to chime in some advice or things to look out for etc...

But one important note to remember with the Aftercooled unit is the Piston temperature... Remember in the summer the air will be hotter... Which if your pushing it at a local track, can mean the pre-mature detonation can occure...

Look at this quote from Vortech...

Vortech's Maxflow Power Cooler is the aftermarket's first street/strip, air-to-water charge cooler system. It utilizes a closed-loop water circulation system with a front mounted head exchanger that allows for effective street operation. Power gains up to 100 horsepower are possible depending on the application, engine, and boost level. This system provides cooler, denser air charges (discharge temperature decrease is approximately 100 F @ 10 PSIG), allowing more timing with less fuel required. (Greater air discharge temperature reductions are possible with higher boost levels and/or the use of ice chilled water in the reservoir.

So with discharge temps atleast 100 F cooler, you can see how this will effect things during the summer months, when track season is up and running...

Atleast with your choice we will both be able to help each other out along the way... Your definatley not going to have to go this alone!!
Old 1/5/06, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 5, 2006, 1:04 PM
But one important note to remember with the Aftercooled unit is the Piston temperature... Remember in the summer the air will be hotter... Which if your pushing it at a local track, can mean the pre-mature detonation can occure...

Look at this quote from Vortech...

Vortech's Maxflow Power Cooler is the aftermarket's first street/strip, air-to-water charge cooler system. It utilizes a closed-loop water circulation system with a front mounted head exchanger that allows for effective street operation. Power gains up to 100 horsepower are possible depending on the application, engine, and boost level. This system provides cooler, denser air charges (discharge temperature decrease is approximately 100 F @ 10 PSIG), allowing more timing with less fuel required. (Greater air discharge temperature reductions are possible with higher boost levels and/or the use of ice chilled water in the reservoir.

So with discharge temps atleast 100 F cooler, you can see how this will effect things during the summer months, when track season is up and running...

Atleast with your choice we will both be able to help each other out along the way... Your definatley not going to have to go this alone!!
That's true, definitly will be cooler. But unfortunately in the part of NY where I am , there are no tracks ((( just streets. Kinda sad - I know.... Maybe someday - but alot of politics and "not in my backyard" etc...

I would have considered going aftercooled but with that kinda boost - not sure if the pistons etc... could handle it. I would have to spend a whole lot more on heads, pitsons etc.. to take that kinda serious boost and pressure. No offense to anyone I love the 4.0 , but unfortuantly they (Ford) skipped the forging on some key components and thus limited it a bit without someone having to dump SERIOUS $ into rebuilding certain parts. I just don;t want my car to be the experiment on how much boost is too much for the engine - lol. I think 7 may be the limit of conservatism. What's your opinion on how much may be too much for it in stock form ( the engine ) that is MSP? I know you are very well informed when it comes to the 4.0 and respect your opinion. I'll gladly be of help to anyone else as well...
Old 1/5/06, 11:43 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by screaminyellin6@January 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
That's true, definitly will be cooler. But unfortunately in the part of NY where I am , there are no tracks ((( just streets. Kinda sad - I know.... Maybe someday - but alot of politics and "not in my backyard" etc...

I would have considered going aftercooled but with that kinda boost - not sure if the pistons etc... could handle it. I would have to spend a whole lot more on heads, pitsons etc.. to take that kinda serious boost and pressure. No offense to anyone I love the 4.0 , but unfortuantly they (Ford) skipped the forging on some key components and thus limited it a bit without someone having to dump SERIOUS $ into rebuilding certain parts. I just don;t want my car to be the experiment on how much boost is too much for the engine - lol. I think 7 may be the limit of conservatism. What's your opinion on how much may be too much for it in stock form ( the engine ) that is MSP? I know you are very well informed when it comes to the 4.0 and respect your opinion. I'll gladly be of help to anyone else as well...

Well sure we cant get to 500rwhp, but I'll be quite happy with 400HP at the crank which is 340rwhp for a dailey driver.. At the track, I'll add a bag of ice to the watercooler and run 400rwhp...

The Vortech standard kit is 8psi, and 9 to 10psi with the Aftercooler... You must show more faith in our 4.0's.. LOL!!

So everyone understands my goal, it is to have a 400HP 2005 V6 Mustang as a dailey driver.. This puts 340rwhp to the wheels... Me posting these numbers will happen.. I promise you... I will drive the car everyday...
Old 1/5/06, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 5, 2006, 2:46 PM
Well sure we cant get to 500rwhp, but I'll be quite happy with 400HP at the crank which is 340rwhp for a dailey driver.. At the track, I'll add a bag of ice to the watercooler and run 400rwhp...

The Vortech standard kit is 8psi, and 9 to 10psi with the Aftercooler... You must show more faith in our 4.0's.. LOL!!

So everyone understands my goal, it is to have a 400HP 2005 V6 Mustang as a dailey driver.. This puts 340rwhp to the wheels... Me posting these numbers will happen.. I promise you... I will drive the car everyday...
Ah, you are reaching a little higher than I am. I want 350 at the crank and 300 at the wheel. a little more or less and I will still be happy. Going with the X-Charger, I think. 6 PSI, no intercooler, nice and safe for my DD.

Trying to order those MAC LTs and Prochamber with cats... Hard to locate any in stock at this time!!! AAAAAAAAAAGHH!

So, why are you being so secretive about getting "blown?" You keep dropping hints and being cryptic about what SC you are going with, etc. C'mon, fess up, MSP!!! What is the deal, Camille?
Old 1/5/06, 12:30 PM
GT Member

I'm with you all the way MSP. I want this to me my daily driver and still wipe the smug faced grin of the 350z's right off I believe you will achieve your numbers - but what additional mods are you looking to do to be able to handle that much HP 340 - 400 rwhp?

I'm going to stick with a little less HP, say about 300, maybe 320 rwhp if its possible, just because I know I'll be beating this thing at the lights , and really don;t want to get it out of control ....

I think with 320rwhp it should be pulling in some pretty good 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Heck the GT is about 260rwhp and is pulling 5.1 for 0-60. We should be breaking 5. Maybe even have some fun with the GTO's.
Old 1/5/06, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Excepcion - pretty much my same feelings about my DD. Trying to keep it safe and not tempt it too much. I just wouldn't want a rod to come flying through - I already had that happen to me once before with a pickup of mine and it was not pretty ((

I know not easy getting much this week - FYI Vortech was closed the entire week last week , so I hope they are catching up and getting the full kit ready to go soon ...
Old 1/5/06, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by screaminyellin6@January 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
Exact cost is still being worked out - but figuring so far 2500 for the S/C tuner kit + injectors ($300 +/-) + fuel pump (200+/-) + install , dyno and tune ( still to be completely determined ).

Vortech is saying they will have a full kit including all the parts by end of month early next - so am thinking of holding out til then to see what they are offering and pricing. Won;t be too much differentin $ probably - but would like to see what exactly their config is...

BTW - the compromise with the wife for me getting the s/c - she gets to stay home for atleast 1 year after we have our first ( she's expecting in June ). So that means I need to get all the toys I can get now, before I have to start buying them for the baby ... LOL

I already did the stay home a year bribe, did the hardwood floor bribe...new funiture bribe, new truck bribe. Now we are on the paint the walls and build me a new porch bribe so I can get a SC or TC. LOL. I have to get permission to use my own bonus! LOL.
Old 1/5/06, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by screaminyellin6@January 5, 2006, 11:31 AM

Still!!! Thats not a bad price at all, $2500 (for the base kit)....hmmmm. I'm still up in the air on TC vs. SC so I will wait for you and MSP to post some numbers.
Old 1/5/06, 12:50 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
Ah, you are reaching a little higher than I am. I want 350 at the crank and 300 at the wheel. a little more or less and I will still be happy. Going with the X-Charger, I think. 6 PSI, no intercooler, nice and safe for my DD.

Trying to order those MAC LTs and Prochamber with cats... Hard to locate any in stock at this time!!! AAAAAAAAAAGHH!

So, why are you being so secretive about getting "blown?" You keep dropping hints and being cryptic about what SC you are going with, etc. C'mon, fess up, MSP!!! What is the deal, Camille?

This is what I want everyone to take from the Vortech setup.... This is the most important fact when considering Supercharging our 4.0's... With Vortech's Aftercooler, this is the loop-hole we need for reliability... This gives the SOHC 4.0 in stock form the perfect set of circumstances in which to run slightly more boost than any of the competitors.... With the Aftercooler, we can send a more dense aircharge to our flat-top pistons...

What the supercharger's primary focus is, is to compress air.. When you compress air, you create heat.. When you create more heat, by way of adding more boost, you make the air temperature being forced onto the pistons hotter, which could cause premature detonation...

In our circumstance, we do not have forged pistons.. We have forged rods, but not pistons... In order for us to reliably add more boost, we need to have all air compressed by the supercharger cooled off before it enters the pistons chamber.. If not, the hotter the air is, there is a chance that instead of our detonation happening at TDC, it could happen as the piston is on its way back up, but before TDC or (Top Dead Center).... We cant afford this to happen.... In our case, based on all my research with Intercooled versus Aftercooled, versus no cooling at all, it is my feeling that the Vortech Aftercooled unit is our best chance for success with our SOHC 4.0's....

There is absolutley no other Supercharger on the market which can provide the added protection our SOHC 4.0 needs to insure that we do not detonate before TDC... The temperature which is introduced to the piston chamber, by only the Vortech Aftercooled kit, is what will save us..

I cant stress this enough... With my research, it has come to light that Vortech does indeed have the best situation for our motors... Their system insures the maximum possible situation in which for us to make power.. This is with a much cooler and denser aircharge than anyother Supercharger manufacturer on the market...

I know whats going to happen... There is going to be an endless debate about this... Tempers are going to flair, and arguments will ensue.. Thats fine... I'll run the Vortech, and others can run what they think is best.. We'll settle this at the track when the time comes... I'm not pulling any punches in regards to this.. If you think you got game, bring it to the christmas tree when we stage... I'll bring my car powered by a Vortech with the Aftercooler, along with a couple of bags of ice and pulleys! I dont plan on having any arguments over this with anyone, so dont even try pushing my buttons..
Old 1/5/06, 12:52 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 5, 2006, 2:40 PM
I already did the stay home a year bribe, did the hardwood floor bribe...new funiture bribe, new truck bribe. Now we are on the paint the walls and build me a new porch bribe so I can get a SC or TC. LOL. I have to get permission to use my own bonus! LOL.

LOL - did the same as you. There was nothing left to do in the house anymore and she just got the last pieces of furniture she wanted .... so you know how it goes... It's a sad day when we can;t even spend our own money

I got tired of doing all the bills etc... so I let her start doing them years ago and now I'm thinking how could I have done that - I lost my control !!! So listen up guys - if you are married odds are you already are in the same boat, if you got a girlfriend - do yourself a favor and get them used to the way it should be before you get hitched, if you're single - heck you can spend it all you want and never think twice, and finally if you are a female - u win u'll get what ever you want whenever you want...
Old 1/5/06, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by MSP@January 5, 2006, 2:53 PM
This is what I want everyone to take from the Vortech setup.... This is the most important fact when considering Supercharging our 4.0's... With Vortech's Aftercooler, this is the loop-hole we need for reliability... This gives the SOHC 4.0 in stock form the perfect set of circumstances in which to run slightly more boost than any of the competitors.... With the Aftercooler, we can send a more dense aircharge to our flat-top pistons...

What the supercharger's primary focus is, is to compress air.. When you compress air, you create heat.. When you create more heat, by way of adding more boost, you make the air temperature being forced onto the pistons hotter, which could cause premature detonation...

In our circumstance, we do not have forged pistons.. We have forged rods, but not pistons... In order for us to reliably add more boost, we need to have all air compressed by the supercharger cooled off before it enters the pistons chamber.. If not, the hotter the air is, there is a chance that instead of our detonation happening at TDC, it could happen as the piston is on its way back up, but before TDC or (Top Dead Center).... We cant afford this to happen.... In our case, based on all my research with Intercooled versus Aftercooled, versus no cooling at all, it is my feeling that the Vortech Aftercooled unit is our best chance for success with our SOHC 4.0's....

There is absolutley no other Supercharger on the market which can provide the added protection our SOHC 4.0 needs to insure that we do not detonate before TDC... The temperature which is introduced to the piston chamber, by only the Vortech Aftercooled kit, is what will save us..

I cant stress this enough... With my research, it has come to light that Vortech does indeed have the best situation for our motors... Their system insures the maximum possible situation in which for us to make power.. This is with a much cooler and denser aircharge than anyother Supercharger manufacturer on the market...

I know whats going to happen... There is going to be an endless debate about this... Tempers are going to flair, and arguments will ensue.. Thats fine... I'll run the Vortech, and others can run what they think is best.. We'll settle this at the track when the time comes... I'm not pulling any punches in regards to this.. If you think you got game, bring it to the christmas tree when we stage... I'll bring my car powered by a Vortech with the Aftercooler, along with a couple of bags of ice and pulleys! I dont plan on having any arguments over this with anyone, so dont even try pushing my buttons..
Very informative MSP. Ok, so you provided a good explanation on why this SC is much safer for our cars at higher boost, which ties in well to all of our convesations on pistons in the past and evalating other major power adders.

Do you know much about Mikes tubro in comparrison to this. Do you know if his system has an intercooler?

My goal is to build a two stage system, with a small shot of N20 on a TC or SC setup. Do you have an opinion on this one?
Old 1/5/06, 12:58 PM
Cam Tease

Good luck with the charging, but don't be too optimistic as far as performance times are concerned. The GT really puts around 280hp to the wheels, and 0-60s are generally closer to the mid fives despite what Motor Trends wunder-testers claim. So, as far as '05+ GTO owners are concerned, you might be better off getting satisfaction from knowing you have a better looking car than challenging them to a race.

But yeah, $2500 for an installed SC kit def sounds like a sweet deal to me.

And Rygen, sounds like you need to regulate man...jk...but really...you do.

Btw MSP, I doubt anyone is going to argue that a cooled charger is neccesary for all out perfomance, it def is. I think the thread starter is saying is in his situation and for his needs he doesn't think the ***** to the wall kit is worth the price increase.
Old 1/5/06, 01:00 PM
Cam Tease

My bad....double posts are ghey.
Old 1/5/06, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 5, 2006, 3:01 PM
Good luck with the charging, but don't be too optimistic as far as performance times are concerned. The GT really puts around 280hp to the wheels, and 0-60s are generally closer to the mid fives despite what Motor Trends wunder-testers claim. So, as far as '05+ GTO owners are concerned, you might be better off getting satisfaction from knowing you have a better looking car than challenging them to a race.

But yeah, $2500 for an installed SC kit def sounds like a sweet deal to me.
And Rygen, sounds like you need to regulate man...jk...but really...you do.
Btw MSP, I doubt anyone is going to argue that a cooled charger is neccesary for all out perfomance, it def is. I think the thread starter is saying is in his situation and for his needs he doesn't think the ***** to the wall kit is worth the price increase.
LOL. Fair enough. Hey, keep in mind the $2500 is for the base kit, not for it instlalled.
Old 1/5/06, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Congrats. Vortech makes excellent kits, so I am sure you will be happy. If your looking for drivability and reliability wait for Vortech's complete kit. There out of the box tunes are excellent for this.
If your looking for all out power, go with the aftercooler and a custom tune.
Old 1/5/06, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by TK421@January 5, 2006, 3:09 PM
Congrats. Vortech makes excellent kits, so I am sure you will be happy. If your looking for drivability and reliability wait for Vortech's complete kit. There out of the box tunes are excellent for this.
If your looking for all out power, go with the aftercooler and a custom tune.

How much more typically is the complete kit? Your avatar is a trip by the way.

Quick Reply: Getting the Vortech :)