V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Fishtailing with a limited slip differential

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/06, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I had a little surprise earlier today. It was slick out, raining a little... I gave it half throttle or so just to test out the Auburn with a semi-hard launch. The rear fishtailed quite a bit.. back and forth very fast. It quickly subsided as I let off the throttle then caught traction and took off nicely.

It was more dry later on in the day and I tried it again... half throttle. Both wheels squeeled then caught... nice straight line.

I'll do some more of these very scientific tests after a few more miles... want to give the Auburn time to break in, but gosh... it's just so temping!

Anyone else experience fishtailing with their limited slips? Think anything is wrong? Thanks!
Old 1/20/06, 04:33 AM
Cobra Member

You mean like this: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/Video/...ing_burnout.wmv

Although I'm power braking you can still see how the car wants to go from side to side... this i believe is because both tires are spinning and basically you have nothing holding the rear in place... think about an open diff... the dirvers side tire is firmly planted, not spinning prevening the side to side motion while the passenger side tire is spinning away... That's why a LSD can be a mixed blessing.. on a really icy road both tires spin and you lose traction on both tires... car will naturally slide down the crown of the road towards the ditch..
Old 1/20/06, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I have fishtailed a little with my TT going starting off in a right hand turn on a slushy road. The car in no way felt out of control, it just went left, then right, and then straight, without me doing anything. I did not let off the gas or change the position of my hands on the wheel. BTW, there were no other cars on the road, so I wasn't endangering anyone, I just wanted to know what the car wouyld do in this situation. I had fistailed before without my LSD, and I could tell that with the TT, the car maintained much more connection with the road, I still felt very much in control, and the car corrected itself. Hope that helps!
Old 1/20/06, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Scrming... love that viddy! I remember watching it when you first posted... truly one of the inspirations for a limited slip! Yeah... it was pretty much like that only without breaking.

Excepcion... then I probably experienced the same thing... it never felt out of control just a quick swish swish swish back and forth. This Mustang bucks!

As soon as we get a dry day around here in Oregon I'll take a video.

Thanks for your input! This is obviously my first LSD!
Old 1/20/06, 03:25 PM

I don't have a LSD and my car has fishtailed on more than one occasion. From a stop going strait on a wet road it does not fishtail but make a turn of any kind with giving it even a little throttle on a wet road and it fishtails. The quality of my tires I'm sure contributes some to the fishtailing which is why I plan on getting either Perelli's or Khumo's this spring. Fishtailing is something that I don't think you can ever completely eliminate on a wet road with these cars though. I've read about super expensive exotic sports cars that stick to the road like glue even on wet pavement but I don't think there is anything that can be done to our cars to give it that kind of traction.
Old 1/20/06, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by vb101@January 20, 2006, 5:28 PM
I don't have a LSD and my car has fishtailed on more than one occasion. From a stop going strait on a wet road it does not fishtail but make a turn of any kind with giving it even a little throttle on a wet road and it fishtails. The quality of my tires I'm sure contributes some to the fishtailing which is why I plan on getting either Perelli's or Khumo's this spring. Fishtailing is something that I don't think you can ever completely eliminate on a wet road with these cars though. I've read about super expensive exotic sports cars that stick to the road like glue even on wet pavement but I don't think there is anything that can be done to our cars to give it that kind of traction.
Probably AWD cars with TC for the euro cars you speak of. But yes, there will always be some degree of fishtailing on these cars.
Old 1/20/06, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Scrming, excellent vid! The car sounds really good too!

It is snowy here today and on the way home I took a left turn and the rear end jumped out on me and it would have been REAL easy to go all the way around if I had kept my foot on the gas. I agree with what Scrming said, even though both wheels are driving you have them spinning and have lost traction with both wheels so the car naturally wants to slide. That's just the way it is, physics I guess?
Anyway, as long as no one else is around like Excepcion said it is kind of fun.
Old 1/20/06, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Coefficient of sliding friction vs. coefficient of rolling friction..same physics principles that applies to antilock brakes!