V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

First track times with the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/06 | 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLX4.0
I'm a wild card! LOL! Well, I can't keep it a secret like those other guys. I'm getting the turbo. I've wanted the turbo since day one. I considered going the less expensive route and getting a SC, but the more I thought about it, the more i knew i'd regret not getting the turbo. I don't want to argue about which one is best, i can only tell you that the turbo is best for me. It will put me solidly in the 12s at low boost and in the 11s if i get brave and crank up the boost. With forged pistons, we're talking 10s. So maybe next summer when scrming is shooting for 11s i will be heading for 10s. Of course, talk is cheap so believe it when i do it. That's why i haven't said much because I don't want to be all talk and no action. So yeah, I'm spending the extra money and getting the turbo. Just waiting for Fazm and Mike to nail down the group buy price. And i'll be spraying the intercooler at the track, fyi. Keeping the Zex. So there you have it, all my cards(well almost all) are on the table.

That being said, I think the Vortech is excellent also. I had even considered going that route at one point. It's kinda funny, I'm the guy that made the "Power Adders Thread" to help others figure out which power adder to get and I couldn't make up my own **** mind.

P.S. Nice to see this forum getting busy again, even if we do have the Collective.
ROFL. Cool man. Yea, you are right, you started the infamous power adders thread, and couldn't make up your mind for weeks. Many PM's were exchanged on that topic.

But yea, at the end of the day, Nitrous, SC and TC, its about representing the Mustang, and showing the 4.0 mustang is very similiar to the LX stangs of old for performance.

But um....turbo is still the best option, I'm not afraid to build up a motor either. LOL!!! I'm addicted enough to do it, and I think I found a shop that can help me with the project. Thats right Scrming, I'm keeping tabs on you man......

ROFL!
Old 5/29/06 | 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by scrming
BTW.... BRUCE CAMPBELL RULES!!!! COME GET SOME!!!! LOL!
Right on man!! Yes, he is, he is a legend amoung men. Evil Dead, Evil Dead II and AOD are required material for trash talking. LOL.

Man, no Prochargers here to represent. LOL. Wheres flapjack?
Old 5/29/06 | 02:43 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
Regardless of setup!!! Setup to a point does matter, we all use our cars as daily drivers.

Now, I don't doubt Scrming one bit, he knows I don't. But I doubt he will rip out his back seat, his AC, and up the boost to borderline levels to get into the 11's.

MSP,

Do you plan to go on a chinese food run in the dead heat of summer without your AC? I don't. Do you plan to rip out your back seat, and lose the capability to take your baby to a dr.s appointment? You put up a cool post on how to get a baby seat back there. LOL.

Also, if it were not for your Vortech sponsorship, you would be saving your pennies for that Turbo, spraying the juice to hold you over until you could get it. I remember reading how you were definitely getting the PH turbo.

Also, put slicks on the PH car, and the slight edge the PHP car has, with higher boost and optimal climate conditions will be lost in less than 11.6 seconds. LOL.

Bring it. But the ultimate setup is the turbo. Even the GT guys will admit that.
LOL!! This is all for fun guys! The whole arguement is setup to make going to the track alittle more fun.. LOL! All the power-adders are kool.. Those of you who have the PH Turbo setup, it is your duty defend it to the end.. Those with the Procharger and Vortech are entitled to do the same.. Even Afixer may make a run at you with the Xcharger pimped out with a shot of Nitrous..

Seriously, if you guys think the PH Turbo is the end of the discussion, more power to ya! Personally, I am planning to run down anyone using a Turbo on the 2005 V6 Mustang SOHC 4.0..

The original agreement was be ready by Summer 2006.. I'm just about ready, and it looks like alot of guys are wrapping things up.. Those of you who took advantage of the period before summer to get in some runs, thats great... Today is the official start of summer, and I am just about where I want to be..

I just finished running the waterline from the trunk to the engine bay where the pump will be mounted, so the water injection is coming along fine.. All that will be left after this is to add the 3.73 gears.. I woulndt mind making a run 2ith the 3.31's first, but my time is limited.. So I will most likley just get the 3.73's put in and go for it on street tires..

Also Rygen, luckily for me Vortech was in need of a 5spd to create a tune.. I provided, and they kept their word and sprung for me a V2.. Seems like a fair trade.. So all though I do have a great respect and admiration for Mike Bowen, because he took us all under his wing, so did Vortech.. I will do the best I can to use their product to 110% of its capability with the restictions I have as a daily driver.. I will not ever bow down to a Powerhouse Turbo'd 05 V6.. Ever! Its on!

Your car is awsome.. Very fast and beautiful.. Seriously.. But I can promise you the most crucial part of the track for you will be in the last 100ft.. Cause thats where I am going for the juggler my man.. All kidding aside.. You have got a great curve in the powerband.. But in the last 100ft your in 4th gear, and so am I.. This is where I plan on making my move.. You can have the 60ft, and the 1/8th.. No problem.. But if I can read you license plate once your in 4th gear its curtains.. As much as I love ya man, your going down in the last 100ft.. Then I will buy you a beer!!

Its all fun though..
Old 5/29/06 | 02:56 PM
MSP
Banned

LOL! Hopefully I cant read your license plate in the last 100ft.. I may not have enough room.. I am aiming for the area of track after the 1/8th.. This is the area I think I can make the best time.. I'll have a better grasp on things after I see the first timeslip.. I'm in the dark right now.. Hoping.. Reality always has another view on the situation..
Old 5/29/06 | 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by MSP
Most likely!! Maybe I will prolong this to get the PH LCA's and DR.. Possibly.. That would make more sense, then allowing you to arrogantly disrespect the situation... Maybe I shouldnt give that kind of advantage if seem to not appreciate it.. LOL!!
Hmmm, hope you got your binoculars ready, so you can read my license plate while I’m in 4th gear. While I look in my rear view mirror as you spin your tires at the line and wheel hop your *** down the track.
Old 5/29/06 | 03:07 PM
MSP
Banned

Hmmm, hope you got your binoculars ready, so you can read my license plate while I’m in 4th gear. While I look in my rear view mirror as you spin your tires at the line and wheel hop your *** down the track.
Most likely!! Maybe I will prolong this to get the PH LCA's and DR.. Possibly.. That would make more sense, then allowing you to arrogantly disrespect the situation... Maybe I shouldnt give that kind of advantage if seem to not appreciate it.. LOL!!
Old 5/29/06 | 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackLX4.0
I'm a wild card! LOL! Well, I can't keep it a secret like those other guys. I'm getting the turbo. I've wanted the turbo since day one. I considered going the less expensive route and getting a SC, but the more I thought about it, the more i knew i'd regret not getting the turbo. I don't want to argue about which one is best, i can only tell you that the turbo is best for me. It will put me solidly in the 12s at low boost and in the 11s if i get brave and crank up the boost. With forged pistons, we're talking 10s. So maybe next summer when scrming is shooting for 11s i will be heading for 10s. Of course, talk is cheap so believe it when i do it. That's why i haven't said much because I don't want to be all talk and no action. So yeah, I'm spending the extra money and getting the turbo. Just waiting for Fazm and Mike to nail down the group buy price. And i'll be spraying the intercooler at the track, fyi. Keeping the Zex. So there you have it, all my cards(well almost all) are on the table.

That being said, I think the Vortech is excellent also. I had even considered going that route at one point. It's kinda funny, I'm the guy that made the "Power Adders Thread" to help others figure out which power adder to get and I couldn't make up my own **** mind.

P.S. Nice to see this forum getting busy again, even if we do have the Collective.
You are going to be scary when you get your Turbo.... When are you thinking of doing the forged internals? I also would like to upgrade when i feel like I have outgrown 9.5 and then 11.5. But that will be a while. Does the engine have to come out to switch out the pistons?
Old 5/29/06 | 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MSP
You might also want to look into a new shifter, I hear 3rd can be a real PITA. But considering Scrming is in your ranks, I can’t take the SC scene lightly, so, in the event that Big John starts kicking *** and taking names, say hello to my two little friends:

Old 5/29/06 | 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Excepcion13
You are going to be scary when you get your Turbo.... When are you thinking of doing the forged internals? I also would like to upgrade when i feel like I have outgrown 9.5 and then 11.5. But that will be a while. Does the engine have to come out to switch out the pistons?
yes, the motor comes out... it is going to be a fairly labor intensive operation... remember we have a fairly complicated motor...
Old 5/29/06 | 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by scrming
yes, the motor comes out... it is going to be a fairly labor intensive operation... remember we have a fairly complicated motor...
It's going to be interesting to find out what is involved with building up the motor once MRT gets started. This will be very valuable information.

Man, you must be dying that you havent taken your Mistress for a ride yet. Man, must burn you that Scott got to try her out first. LOL.
Old 5/29/06 | 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

//so, in the event that Big John starts kicking *** and taking names, say hello to my two little friends:
Carpet and Velcro-strap? hehe
Old 5/29/06 | 03:57 PM
MSP
Banned

@Jimp

Congrats Jimp! Glad you have finally come to a conclusion you feel comfortable with..

@Rygen

Once I get this last dyno in the next 2 weeks, I may just continue on to the Girdle, LCA's,UCA's and Drag radials.. I'm not in a rush anyway.. My original plan was to finish up the 400RWHP situation, and then start on getting the power to the ground.. I intended on upping my time frame for the track cause of all the hostility.. However, you make a good point.. I will most likley have traction problems which will dilute my results.. So perhaps just a few more mods wont hurt before the track..

Since Scrming is now on the team, I really dont have to worry about proving much anymore, cause Scrming is dangerous.. LOL!!

We'll see.. But you did make a good point.. Cant forget to properly apply the power to the ground.. No need to rush to the track.. Thanks man!

@Scrming

Well, looks like its you me and Screaminyellin6.. Thanks for having Faith Scrming.. It means alot.. I promise your faith will payoff.. I wont let you down man, along with Vortech!
Old 5/29/06 | 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hambone
Carpet and Velcro-strap? hehe
Thats it, how did you know man!!!!
Old 5/29/06 | 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MSP

Since Scrming is now on the team, I really dont have to worry about proving much anymore....
I find this very special.

If Scrming was running the PH Turbo, I would still be out there giving it my best. For example, say he gets the PH Turbo and runs a 12.80, that dosent mean I can run a 12.80 or best it, so I would be out there like a track junkie going after it.
Old 5/30/06 | 03:47 AM
MSP
Banned

I find this very special.

If Scrming was running the PH Turbo, I would still be out there giving it my best. For example, say he gets the PH Turbo and runs a 12.80, that dosent mean I can run a 12.80 or best it, so I would be out there like a track junkie going after it.
I meant that Scrming will be more than capable of showing the best attributes of the V2.. LOL!

In all honsty, I am looking ahead to my next dyno, and how things are going to play out.. There will be alot going on on this next one.. Three pulls.. One with no water.. Then one with water.. Then one with water/meth.. I will have only 3 pulls in which I need to quickely view the datalog information in relation to the HP and TQ numbers, then adjust and move on for the next pull, in which the envirornment will be changed, making the previous information somewhat not as applicable to the pull which just completed.. LOL!

Kind of hard... I'm on my own on this.. I really dont have a good tuner like Doug904, or Lidio, or Powerhouse who can view the data, and based on experience can know what needs to be done.. It is highely likley that I will have to make incremental adjustments on each pull, using the 3 different methods.. Then I will have to study the datalog info, and possibly make another appointment to pull them again..

The meth injection will be the most tricky.. This is because the temp of the combustion chamber will drop as much as 200F.. In this temp range running 100 octane gasoline, timing will be able to be advanced to possibly 20-23 degrees, or more..

The Meth setup may take several pulls all by itself to create the maximum or close to maximum safe RWHP.. Its really not as cut and dry as it sounds.. You guys are indeed lucky to have people looking out for you.. I'm on my own.. LOL!!

Of course the guys at the dyno shop will provide input.. But they think I am making more RWHP than I should be already at 330RWHP SAE... So they dont provide cutting edge info.. Just CYOA info.. I need someone like Doug904 who will without fear spin the motor to 6200RPM, like he did with Afixer! LOL!

Also, what I mean by drop by 200F is, the Meth will remove 200F worth of heat from the combustion chamber...
Old 5/30/06 | 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by MSP
I meant that Scrming will be more than capable of showing the best attributes of the V2.. LOL!

In all honsty, I am looking ahead to my next dyno, and how things are going to play out.. There will be alot going on on this next one.. Three pulls.. One with no water.. Then one with water.. Then one with water/meth.. I will have only 3 pulls in which I need to quickely view the datalog information in relation to the HP and TQ numbers, then adjust and move on for the next pull, in which the envirornment will be changed, making the previous information somewhat not as applicable to the pull which just completed.. LOL!

Kind of hard... I'm on my own on this.. I really dont have a good tuner like Doug904, or Lidio, or Powerhouse who can view the data, and based on experience can know what needs to be done.. It is highely likley that I will have to make incremental adjustments on each pull, using the 3 different methods.. Then I will have to study the datalog info, and possibly make another appointment to pull them again..

The meth injection will be the most tricky.. This is because the temp of the combustion chamber will drop as much as 200F.. In this temp range running 100 octane gasoline, timing will be able to be advanced to possibly 20-23 degrees, or more..

The Meth setup may take several pulls all by itself to create the maximum or close to maximum safe RWHP.. Its really not as cut and dry as it sounds.. You guys are indeed lucky to have people looking out for you.. I'm on my own.. LOL!!

Of course the guys at the dyno shop will provide input.. But they think I am making more RWHP than I should be already at 330RWHP SAE... So they dont provide cutting edge info.. Just CYOA info.. I need someone like Doug904 who will without fear spin the motor to 6200RPM, like he did with Afixer! LOL!

Also, what I mean by drop by 200F is, the Meth will remove 200F worth of heat from the combustion chamber...
There are no good dyno/tuners in your area that would tune your Vortech? That is quite unfortunate. You have a AF Wideband, why not have Doug tune it for you via datalogging. You could always buy time on a dyno and have him tune it through a local shop.
Old 5/30/06 | 10:35 AM
MSP
Banned

There are no good dyno/tuners in your area that would tune your Vortech? That is quite unfortunate. You have a AF Wideband, why not have Doug tune it for you via datalogging. You could always buy time on a dyno and have him tune it through a local shop.
I dont need a tune per say.. Just incorporating the METH.. I'll be ok.. LOL!!
Old 5/30/06 | 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MSP
I dont need a tune per say.. Just incorporating the METH.. I'll be ok.. LOL!!
Ok, no offense man, was just responding to this portion of your previous post:

Originally Posted by MSP

But glad to know you are good to go in the tune department.
Old 5/30/06 | 11:03 AM
MSP
Banned

Ok, no offense man, was just responding to this portion of your previous post:

But glad to know you are good to go in the tune department.
None taken.. Actually, to me its part of the excitement of doing it myself.. This way, its all by my design.. This is the reason for the Wideband, and Air Temp gauge, and datalogging.. It all goes to the total understanding of the system and how it responds..

I will actually do most of the tuning off of the dyno in regards to the meth incorporation into the A/F mixture... The water should not change the a/f ratio because it will not actually add additional oxygen to the combustion chamber.. However, a bi-product of the meth is oxygen.. I will harness this additional oxygen, and use it to create additional HP.. With the 2.62in pulley, I am around 360RWHP.. My task is to develop an additional 40RWHP using the extra oxygen and low temperatures, while effectively advancing the timing.. My fundemental understanding of this concept must be derived and understood actually before the dyno session..

You have no idea Rygen how absolutley satisfying total understanding awareness is once the concept is understood.. It is through this process, and implementation which creates a respect for the equipment and an understanding to its ultimate capabilitites..
Old 5/30/06 | 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MSP
You have no idea Rygen how absolutley satisfying total understanding awareness is once the concept is understood.. It is through this process, and implementation which creates a respect for the equipment and an understanding to its ultimate capabilitites..
Actually on a broad scale, I do, as part of my profession I have to maintain many IT certifications, some of which require up to a year of preparation and study followed by several days of examination in a lab environment. Not to mention that there is still the written examinations I have to go through.

So, I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish through self education, experimentation, trial and error, etc. I agree with the quest for knowledge as I prescribe it every day. However, when one of my less experienced engineers wants to learn the ins and outs of the spanning tree protocol, I have them learn in a test environment. In a production environment, there is no tolerance for experimentation and/or more than likely, risking the stability/health of the network.

So, what I mean is, I agree and applaud you for your diligence to learn the 4.0 and actually tune it yourself. However, I do not agree doing it with your daily driver that you depend on to get to and from work, without the aid of a 4.0 veteran. This is why I recommended you to liaise with someone like Doug, or Lidio, or perhaps Justin.

After in-depth conversations with Powerhouse, I have given serious thought to gaining proficiency in the area you are knee deep in now. So I will begin my research and when I am ready to start on the hard core aspect of it, I will get another DD to fall back on.

I really mean no offence, just looking out for you. And don’t take this as me underestimating you, because I don’t in anyway. Just giving you something to think about if you don’t already have someone like Doug, Lidio or Justin looking over your shoulder to make sure everything is ok.

Quick Reply: First track times with the turbo