V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

First track times with the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/06 | 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Excepcion13
WTF? Is this true, Todd? Is MSP the reason you are doing so well at the track?
I've spoken with MSP over on the Collective about conservative 60ft times possibly being the key to protecting our pistons. The colaboration had value, but I have not put any of those theories to the test.

I have been doing what I normally do at the track, which was the problem. I'm used to the juice, so .....

.... back to the drawing board!
Old 5/26/06 | 11:57 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
I've spoken with MSP over on the Collective about conservative 60ft times possibly being the key to protecting our pistons. The colaboration had value, but I have not put any of those theories to the test.

I have been doing what I normally do at the track, which was the problem. I'm used to the juice, so .....

.... back to the drawing board!
LOL!! What are you talkin Rygen!! You did great that day, even with the bad launches! Your average ET for all 4 runs was 13.2 ET!! Thats amazing consistency.. This was the whole point I have been trying to make.. You obviously have tons of power, because even with your slowest 1/8th run, you would have still clicked off a 13.2ET at the other end of the track.. The numbers dont lie! The Powerhouse turbo is able to create enough HP consistently to make your worst run and launch still within the 13.2 area.. Its really quite impressive..

Basically I spent all this time and post trying to understand the numbers.. The numbers say, there is enough power to make a mistake and still make it up somewhere else on the track.. LOL! Its a darn good show man.. Bowen got you hooked up big time..

If you nail a 2.0 60 ft your next time out, you own a 12sec 2005 Mustang V6..
Old 5/26/06 | 12:07 PM
MSP
Banned

On that note, this seriously begs the question in regards to EX13's first time out.. If he can nail anywhere from 2.0-2.1 60ft, he should make it to 12's, provided he leaves it WOT in 4th gear until he crosses the traps.. LOL!!
Old 5/26/06 | 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by MSP
On that note, this seriously begs the question in regards to EX13's first time out.. If he can nail anywhere from 2.0-2.1 60ft, he should make it to 12's, provided he leaves it WOT in 4th gear until he crosses the traps.. LOL!!
Yep, once he masters his launch, he will be hitting 12.60 or lower all day long. The PH manual car at 8.5lbs of boost went 12.60 I believe consistently. Ex13 is running 9.5lbs of boost, so he should be even better with practice.
Old 5/26/06 | 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

First before I forget again! E-13 congrats on the turbo!
Also take no offense guys this is just IMO.

I have some difference of opinions (IMO) from you guys. First of all both them should be capable at thier psi to break into the twelve’s with DR's but it’s not going to be that easy IMO for Rygen (without a stall) will take a little work.

Rygen car’s differences from Mike’s car running 12.57 ET

1.Rygen has an auto vs. Mikes stick which launchs at 4k-5k, sticks also seem to have a little more HP vs. an auto
2.Not big but I believe Mike also ran 12.57@ 9 psi (if not 9.5)vs. Rygen 8.5psi
3.Rygen has a 373 gear Mike runs a 3.50 or 3.55 which is better for the turbo.

So as you can see there are some differences on Mikes 12.57 run if the above is correct, Rygen should be capable of high 12’s (12.85’s and up) without a stall but it won’t be easy IMO.

Rygen also you don't need a 2.0 60ft to hit 12's.

E-13’s car, quote “Yep, once he masters his launch, he will be hitting 12.60 or lower all day long “)

First E-13 also is running a 373 according to Mike car runs better with a 350/55 vs. 373. We will have to see how the 373 is working first, second thing yes he has master the launch at 4k to 5K vs track cond that day w/ right air pressure but also has to master power shifting which I believe E-13 has no experience with. A few bad shifts and he might be saying good by to his tranny on this V6 (like 3rd gear or your sync's). E-13 has to master launch (hook up), then power shifting which consist of your going to have to watch the tach hold your gas pedal nailed to the floor at the same (never letting up off the floor) time nail that clutch to the floor as fast as you can, then at the same time power pull on the stick hard , firm and fast as you can concentrating on perfect timing and making sure you get it all the way into each gear on each shift. So gas nailed to floor, nail clutch as fast as you can then shift as fast, hard and firm as you can in perfect timing. Not hard for some one with experience thats good but someone who has no experience power shifting before it’s going to take a while and you have to be good not everyone can do it good.

So if the above isn't a problem for E-13 & the 373 isn't hurting him and he can launch good and power shift GOOD mid twelves should be in reach for him then.

So time will tell guys but best of luck to both of you and hoping for twelves for ya!.

P.S hope you don't mind all the armchair quarter backing from different people /me also its kind of funny
Old 5/26/06 | 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TJ06

I have some difference of opinions (IMO) from you guys. First of all both them should be capable at thier psi to break into the twelve’s with DR's but it’s not going to be that easy IMO for Rygen (without a stall) will take a little work.

1.Rygen has an auto vs. Mikes stick which launchs at 4k-5k, sticks also seem to have a little more HP vs. an auto

So as you can see there are some differences on Mikes 12.57 run if the above is correct, Rygen should be capable of high 12’s (12.85’s and up) without a stall but it won’t be easy IMO.

E-13’s car, quote “Yep, once he masters his launch, he will be hitting 12.60 or lower all day long “)

First E-13 also is running a 373 according to Mike car runs better with a 350/55 vs. 373. We will have to see how the 373 is working first, second thing yes he has master the launch at 4k to 5K vs track cond that day w/ right air pressure but also has to master power shifting which I believe E-13 has no experience with. A few bad shifts and he might be saying good by to his tranny on this V6 (like 3rd gear or your sync's). E-13 has to master launch (hook up), then power shifting which consist of your going to have to watch the tach hold your gas pedal nailed to the floor at the same (never letting up off the floor) time nail that clutch to the floor as fast as you can, then at the same time power pull on the stick as hard and as firm as you can concentrating on perfect timing and making sure you get it all the way into each gear on each shift. So gas nailed to floor, nail clutch as fast as you can then shift as hard as firm as you can in perfect timing. Not hard for some one with experience thats good but someone who has no experience power shifting before it’s going to take a while and you have to be good not everyone can do it good.

So if the above isn't a problem for E-13 & the 373 isn't hurting him and he can launch good and power shift GOOD mid twelves should be in reach for him then.

So time will tell guys but best of luck to both of you and hoping for twelves for ya!.

P.S hope you don't mind all the armchair quarter backing from different people /me also its kind of funny
Thanks for the advice!! I have no experience racing, so it will all be new. I am looking to get in the 13's as an immediate goal. Thank you for outlining what I need to work on, it sounds brutal!! Shifting with the gas pedal at WOT sound daunting to say the least! I might have to start at some 1/8 tracks first to get the hang of launching and then move up to the 1/4 mile. I am also interested in a new shifter (Hurst has caught my eye, although the Steeda looks prmising). I want to save my tranny!!!
Old 5/26/06 | 07:41 PM
MSP
Banned

First E-13 also is running a 373 according to Mike car runs better with a 350/55 vs. 373. We will have to see how the 373 is working first, second thing yes he has master the launch at 4k to 5K vs track cond that day w/ right air pressure but also has to master power shifting which I believe E-13 has no experience with. A few bad shifts and he might be saying good by to his tranny on this V6 (like 3rd gear or your sync's). E-13 has to master launch (hook up), then power shifting which consist of your going to have to watch the tach hold your gas pedal nailed to the floor at the same (never letting up off the floor) time nail that clutch to the floor as fast as you can, then at the same time power pull on the stick hard , firm and fast as you can concentrating on perfect timing and making sure you get it all the way into each gear on each shift. So gas nailed to floor, nail clutch as fast as you can then shift as fast, hard and firm as you can in perfect timing. Not hard for some one with experience thats good but someone who has no experience power shifting before it’s going to take a while and you have to be good not everyone can do it good.

LOL!! You make some **** good points TJ06, but it not really worth all of that.. My approach consist of putting 400RWHP to the back tires, and doing about a 2.0 60ft.. Try my best to properly shift from 1st and 2nd without spinning the tires.. Once I make it to 3rd gear, I am half way home.. Once I plant the tranny into 4th and go WOT, its all over but the shouting..

Why in the world would anybody put that much abuse on a dailey driven car is beyond me.. You probably just described why I will never amount to much of anything because I would never treat my car like that..

However, there is alot to be said for 400RWHP once the tranny is in 4th gear, and the 3.73's clinch onto the pinion gear! LOL! A whole lot to be said.. But if what you decsribe is what is needed to grab a twelve, then I'll be happy with a 14sec 400RWHP V6! LOL! Screw that.. It aint gonna ever happen..

@EX13

Hopefully you dont follow TJ's well intentioned advice.. Or atleast I hope you dont.. I know you have more respect than that.. We will be happy running 14's..LOL!!
Old 5/26/06 | 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MSP
LOL!! You make some **** good points TJ06, but it not really worth all of that.. My approach consist of putting 400RWHP to the back tires, and doing about a 2.0 60ft.. Try my best to properly shift from 1st and 2nd without spinning the tires.. Once I make it to 3rd gear, I am half way home.. Once I plant the tranny into 4th and go WOT, its all over but the shouting..

Why in the world would anybody put that much abuse on a dailey driven car is beyond me.. You probably just described why I will never amount to much of anything because I would never treat my car like that..

However, there is alot to be said for 400RWHP once the tranny is in 4th gear, and the 3.73's clinch onto the pinion gear! LOL! A whole lot to be said.. But if what you decsribe is what is needed to grab a twelve, then I'll be happy with a 14sec 400RWHP V6! LOL! Screw that.. It aint gonna ever happen..

@EX13

Hopefully you dont follow TJ's well intentioned advice.. Or atleast I hope you dont.. I know you have more respect than that.. We will be happy running 14's..LOL!!
It is very clear to me now... you do NOT have what it takes to put it all on the line... When you stage and pull your car up the tree, there is a moment of truth... and it is binary.. "Am I going to go for it?" Yes or No? On my last run I answered "Yes" and I went for it... and we seen the results. You can laugh at my embarrassing 13.1 all you want... I don't care... But I know now if you ever did find yourself at that moment your answer will always be "No" because you will be to worried about "abusing" your car...

I've always been fine with your talk and have defended you to newbies as it's just you being you... but when you start knocking other peoples times when you clearly don't have the guts to run your own car.. well, that crossed a line... And I will not stand for it...
Old 5/26/06 | 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MSP

@EX13

OMG MSP this Mustang can handle it with no problem!

MSP from your response and remark above tells me you do not have a lot of experience drag racing MT cars or you would have never posted something like that LOL. I have been shifting like that for 10 years with my street cars on the street and on the track when running someone it’s the only way I would do it or want to do it IMO, also was the case with friends of mine also. I wouldn’t want to shift any other way period its just pure enjoyment.
I would laugh at anyone if they were a serious racer and shifted any other way IMO.

How do you think Mike and PHP etc are doing with these cars to get the best/lowest ET are doing? its called power shifting.

I have powered shifted this Mustang a number of time it handles it with no problem at all and is NOT as hard on the car as you make it sound LOL! Launching at 4k – 5k is way harder on the car and drivetrain than powershifting any day of the week,

E-13 if it couldn’t handle it or was that hard on this car I would tell you not to do it. The only thing if your not good at it and have bad shifts like with any other tranny its not good and this tranny being a lightweight IMO more so, but that’s only if grind the gears, if you just miss a gear no problem but if you grind not good. But you could also miss or grind during a run without powershifting also.

E-13 these cars can handle it with no problem and its not that hard on the car as long as you good at power shifting and do it correctly it’s the only way. If you decide to try you might want to think first about trying it and practicing on a rental or other car you could happen to get. If you pick it up after practicing and feel good then try it with your car.

If you don’t pick it up and are having a hard time then don’t try it with your car.

To me it’s the only way to shift in street or track competition!

Scrming I think you forgot the word NOT in your first sentence in response to MSP
Old 5/26/06 | 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Double post!
Old 5/26/06 | 08:41 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by scrming
It is very clear to me now... you do know have what it takes to put it all on the line... When you stage and pull your car up the tree, there is a moment of truth... and it is binary.. "Am I going to go for it?" Yes or No? On my last run I answered "Yes" and I went for it... and we seen the results. You can laugh at my embarrassing 13.1 all you want... I don't care... But I know now if you ever did find yourself at that moment your answer will always be "No" because you will be to worried about "abusing" your car...

I've always been fine with your talk and have defended you to newbies as it's just you being you... but when you start knocking other peoples times when you clearly don't have the guts to run your own car.. well, that crossed a line... And I will not stand for it...
I dont think you have to drive the car like TJ06 described to make it to deep 12's.. You can get it done without powershifting..

But yes, you are correct.. I am against abusing the car.. I will drive it like Road & Track does when they do a review of a 2003 Cobra.. They get alittle squirrley off the line and run through the traps with a 12.9ET.. LOL! Its called HP! The more you have, the easier it is.. Actually your time of 13.1ET was pretty good with 286RWHP.. It shows you took advantage of the situation and got the utmost for it.. So yes you probably are a better driver than I.. More practice of course..

My goal is to beat a 2003-04 Cobra Stock.. This leaves me with a 12.9 or 12.8, which I must complete to feel justified..

But I know it pisses you off that I wont abuse my car.. I'm sorry Scrming, but I wont abuse my car.. LOL! Why does it mean so much to you that I abuse my car? Cause you did it? That was your choice.. I can get to 12's a different way.. More RWHP.. Its really simple..

I know you can understand the concept that with less RWHP, you must drive the car harder.. With more, you dont have to drive it so hard.. This concept is understood.. Thats always been my approach Scrming's! The whole purpose of not going until I have 400RWHP under my legs, was so I dont have to break the rear-end or tranny, or snap the driveline trying to get to 12's.. Thats always been my approach Scrming's!!
Old 5/26/06 | 08:48 PM

Thanks TJ. I appreciate your detailed analysis and candid approach.

I think I will have to bite the bullet on DR's, I may be able to get a 12.9 with a lot of practice on streets, but in the end I want more than just a 12.9, I want to get deeper into the 12's....and DR's, and probably a stall are in my future.
Old 5/26/06 | 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MSP
I dont think you have to drive the car like TJ06 described to make it to deep 12's.. You can get it done without powershifting..

But yes, you are correct.. I am against abusing the car.. I will drive it like Road & Track does when they do a review of a 2003 Cobra.. They get alittle squirrley off the line and run through the traps with a 12.9ET.. LOL! Its called HP! The more you have, the easier it is.. Actually your time of 13.1ET was pretty good with 286RWHP.. It shows you took advantage of the situation and got the utmost for it.. So yes you probably are a better driver than I.. More practice of course..

My goal is to beat a 2003-04 Cobra Stock.. This leaves me with a 12.9 or 12.8, which I must complete to feel justified..

But I know it pisses you off that I wont abuse my car.. I'm sorry Scrming, but I wont abuse my car.. LOL! Why does it mean so much to you that I abuse my car? Cause you did it? That was your choice.. I can get to 12's a different way.. More RWHP.. Its really simple..

I know you can understand the concept that with less RWHP, you must drive the car harder.. With more, you dont have to drive it so hard.. This concept is understood.. Thats always been my approach Scrming's! The whole purpose of not going until I have 400RWHP under my legs, was so I dont have to break the rear-end or tranny, or snap the driveline trying to get to 12's.. Thats always been my approach Scrming's!!
What bothers me is you continue to bad mouth other peoples track efforts when you in fact are to chicken to do it yourself... and if you think are not abusing your daily driver by running it at 400RWHP than you are sadly mistaken...

Your approach so far has been all talk... not results...
Old 5/26/06 | 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MSP

Now, I'm still a novice, but I definitely love going to the track. I am curious though.....

....who here has actually been to the track? I have about 20 track runs and have a ton to learn. I'm guessing after 3 years of doing this, I will still have something to learn.

Also, define abusing our cars? Am I im the same category as Scrming or for that matter, anyone that launches hard with thier car? How does that compare to bouncing off the rev limiter or dropping the hammer on the street?
Old 5/26/06 | 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

Now, I'm still a novice, but I definitely love going to the track. I am curious though.....

....who here has actually been to the track? I have about 20 track runs and have a ton to learn. I'm guessing after 3 years of doing this, I will still have something to learn.

Also, define abusing our cars? Am I im the same category as Scrming or for that matter, anyone that launches hard with thier car? How does that compare to bouncing off the rev limiter or dropping the hammer on the street?
Yep... you and I are abusers... taking your cars to the track before your ready to run deep in the 12's... we are sooooooo silly...

Norwalk... we've got to get lined up together durning qualifiying!!! That way we can get some video of us being stupid together!!! LOL!
Old 5/26/06 | 09:02 PM
MSP
Banned

@Scrmings

Think about it like this old friend..

You have 1320FT.. You have 182RWHP, 220RWHP,280RWHP, 300RWHP, 350RWHP, and 400RWHP...

Now 1320FT is only so long.. In this space, when you think of HP and time, one will always outweight the other.. The less HP you have, the more time it will take you to move through this amount of space with a set time limit.. The more HP you have, the less time it will take you to get through this amount of space with a set time limit..

The car with 280RWHP, can make it through 1320FT in 12.9sec.. However, since he has less power, he needs to take advantage of every split second in 12.9 sec.. So you can see that by increasing the RWHP, traveling thorugh 1320FT within 12.9 seconds becomes less of a problem..

Think of how much suspension and traction is needed for a car with 280RWHP to run through @ 12.9, as opposed to a car at 350 or 400RWHP...
Old 5/26/06 | 09:06 PM
Cobra R Member

so am i the king abuser? since i probably have 80-100 track runs under my belt. hard launches, drag radials, power shifting, snapping shifter bolts, missing gears, you name it. If you baby a 2003 cobra you are NOT going to run a 12.9 ET, maybe a 13.3 with 400rwhp you should (your car at least) be able to run a low 12 with the right tires and suspesnion. With 400rwhp and your suspension setup, all you are going to end up with is wheelhop, and a tire spinning 13.0. and guess what, wheel hop is abuse. wheel hop can and will shatter something in your rear end. took the cobra to the track the other night, and that thing has wicked wheel hop with the drag radials. On the 2nd run, something popped real loud, so i babied it down the track. Got the car up on the rack and everything is fine, but there is a mark on the axle on the right side from it hopping so high and hit a part of the suspension. Was real close to snapping it.

long story short. dont expect a 12.5 quarter mile if you are going to not power shift, and not do your suspension up right.
Old 5/26/06 | 09:07 PM
Cobra R Member

280rwhp running a 12.9? havent seen that in our cars. At least not with monsterous torque numbers.
Old 5/26/06 | 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MSP
@Scrmings

Think about it like this old friend..

You have 1320FT.. You have 182RWHP, 220RWHP,280RWHP, 300RWHP, 350RWHP, and 400RWHP...

Now 1320FT is only so long.. In this space, when you think of HP and time, one will always outweight the other.. The less HP you have, the more time it will take you to move through this amount of space with a set time limit.. The more HP you have, the less time it will take you to get through this amount of space with a set time limit..

The car with 280RWHP, can make it through 1320FT in 12.9sec.. However, since he has less power, he needs to take advantage of every split second in 12.9 sec.. So you can see that by increasing the RWHP, traveling thorugh 1320FT within 12.9 seconds becomes less of a problem..

Think of how much suspension and traction is needed for a car with 280RWHP to run through @ 12.9, as opposed to a car at 350 or 400RWHP...
and think about this... a car designed for 170RWHP is a lot less likely to come undone at 280RWHP than it is at 400RWHP... I don't care how easy you walk the car out... if you are WOT at 400RWHP some thing can let loose... if you don't think you can break your car because you have a 2.0+ 60' and you're not powershifting than you are simply fooling yourself...
Old 5/26/06 | 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks TJ. I appreciate your detailed analysis and candid approach.

I think I will have to bite the bullet on DR's, I may be able to get a 12.9 with a lot of practice on streets, but in the end I want more than just a 12.9, I want to get deeper into the 12's....and DR's, and probably a stall are in my future.

Thanks Rygen

I am just armchair quarter backing here and just making an estimated opinion per ET on the facts that are in front of us of course I could be off either way on my ET opinions. But its just fun to take the facts analyze them make an opinion and see how close we can get to an ET for you before you actually run the ¼ mile.

Quick Reply: First track times with the turbo