V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust problems...need help and opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/07, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust problems...need help and opinions!

Ok well i had my pypes x pipe kit with Borla mufflers installed last week and it turned out horrible. Exhaust leaks everywhere, rattles, misalignments, mufflers hanging unevenly, one muffler was touching the bumper and melted a portion of it off and to top it all of they welded everything together after i specifically told them not to and provided them with all the necessary clamps. Even the mufflers are welded now. After talking with the owner of the shop, he told me that he was out of town when my car was done and that a new guy did my install and basically admitted it was a terrible job. He says he is very sorry, refunded my installation cost and wants to try to make things right and fix my exhaust himself. So heres my options, I can let him do what he swears he can do and provide me with a good intsall which means he will have to break the welds and clamp it together again. Or I can make him pay me the money i paid for the whole system and possibly the cost for a new bumper, which he basically ruined both, and take it to another shop to have them install it. Sorry for the rant but I need some help on deciding the best route to take here.
Old 8/9/07, 05:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
can you see the damage on the bumper with out looking to hard. I think I would let the guy fix it. It can only get better from the sounds of it. Very suprising they gave you your money back.
Old 8/9/07, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He hired this guy to work for him? If the job is as bad as you say it is, then this guy must have zero work experience and the man who hired sounds like he needs a good kick in the pants. I'd have him pay for complete new parts, bumper included, and cost to take it to a certified Ford shop that you specify. If that isn't an option, take your receipts and the evidence to a lawyer. Or you could throw some big words at him like "...report you to the Texas Attorney General's office on an HR9724 claim". It worked for me . Might report him to the BBB as well.

It wasn't a Meineke by any chance was it?
Old 8/9/07, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by paradigm1220
He hired this guy to work for him? If the job is as bad as you say it is, then this guy must have zero work experience and the man who hired sounds like he needs a good kick in the pants. I'd have him pay for complete new parts, bumper included, and cost to take it to a certified Ford shop that you specify. If that isn't an option, take your receipts and the evidence to a lawyer. Or you could throw some big words at him like "...report you to the Texas Attorney General's office on an HR9724 claim". It worked for me . Might report him to the BBB as well.

It wasn't a Meineke by any chance was it?

Funny that you should say that, because it actually was a Meineke shop. And yes the damage is as bad as i described...unfortunately.
Old 8/9/07, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow. I had a Meineke shop adjust my driver side muffler because it was hanging lower than the other one. They made it worse and charged $150. I argued in front of their customers for about 30 minutes until I got my way- no charge and they fix it correctly. They still did a horribly crappy job. I will never use them again. That's why I'm saying raise H E L L on them.
Old 8/9/07, 11:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I think I would get him to get you a new bumper, but I think I would let him to try to repair the exhaust himself. If he can't do it right, then work him over to let him take it to another place. What a mess...
Old 8/10/07, 12:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd ask for all new parts over this ordeal.
Old 8/10/07, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

What a mess indeed. This has a turned into such an ordeal and a big PIA. But after alot of talking with the owner, Ive decided to give him one more shot at making this right. He is ordering a complete new system and installing it one night while I will be sitting there watching the whole process to make sure everything is done right this time. He said he will run the bumper through his insurance and get me a new one that way. One question, is there anyway I can have the insurance get me a GT/CS bumper? Or will they only replace it with the original part that came on my car?
Old 8/10/07, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

I'm sure they could do the GT/CS bumper for you, might even be a little cheaper. Ask the owner to go with the Ford Accessory kit.
Old 8/10/07, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
I'm sure they could do the GT/CS bumper for you, might even be a little cheaper. Ask the owner to go with the Ford Accessory kit.
+1 on this. Oh and sell me your old setup for cheap .
Old 8/10/07, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah the price difference between V6/GT/CS bumpers is so miniscule, insurance doesn't really care.
Old 8/10/07, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Deric
+1 on this. Oh and sell me your old setup for cheap .
If you actually do want the old pypes x pipe and mid pipes then they are yours for real cheap. They function just fine, but they have been welded alot so that kind of defeats the purpose of having a stainless steel exhaust system. But if you want it then its yours for a very very low price. Ill take some pictures if you want once I get this whole ordeal straightened out.
Old 8/11/07, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hopefully the owner will make everything right for you.
My shop drove me crazy doing mine. They are good and they know their Fords, but good God were they slow! They were so meticulous about how it was being installed. They said they wanted to make it look like it was done at the factory.
Old 8/11/07, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

does the v6 sound to loud for a daily with jba headers pypes xpype and two mufflers i like the look but i just want some sound not evey one to hear me coming
Old 8/11/07, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Not really the topic...(or correct grammer for that matter)...but with new headers and an x pipe I think would be loud. I have Magnaflow Y-splitter Cat-back dual exit, and that's pretty loud already, but I also have a manual and make it louder when I want to
Old 8/11/07, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07V6STANG
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hopefully the owner will make everything right for you.
My shop drove me crazy doing mine. They are good and they know their Fords, but good God were they slow! They were so meticulous about how it was being installed. They said they wanted to make it look like it was done at the factory.
I only wish my shop had been slow and meticulous, instead they were extremely fast and terrible.

To answer Ismael's question, I have the Pypes X pipe and borla stingers on my car and it is pretty loud. I still have the stock headers though so i cant comment on that. I drive my car daily and the noise doesnt bother me, but to some people it might be a bit much.
Old 8/13/07, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Ok well i had my pypes x pipe kit with Borla mufflers installed last week and it turned out horrible. Exhaust leaks everywhere, rattles, misalignments, mufflers hanging unevenly, one muffler was touching the bumper and melted a portion of it off and to top it all of they welded everything together after i specifically told them not to and provided them with all the necessary clamps. Even the mufflers are welded now. After talking with the owner of the shop, he told me that he was out of town when my car was done and that a new guy did my install and basically admitted it was a terrible job. He says he is very sorry, refunded my installation cost and wants to try to make things right and fix my exhaust himself. So heres my options, I can let him do what he swears he can do and provide me with a good intsall which means he will have to break the welds and clamp it together again. Or I can make him pay me the money i paid for the whole system and possibly the cost for a new bumper, which he basically ruined both, and take it to another shop to have them install it. Sorry for the rant but I need some help on deciding the best route to take here.
Since he has admitted it and wants to make it right you have littler to lose. I would hold off on replacing the bumper (he should pay for that) and let him redo the job. If you tell him you want him to pay for someone else to do it he may refuse nad you'll have to take him to court. Since he has offered to redo the job, basically trying to do the right thing ajudge may not see it your way. Good luck
Old 8/13/07, 01:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S197 V6
To answer Ismael's question, I have the Pypes X pipe and borla stingers on my car and it is pretty loud. I still have the stock headers though so i cant comment on that. I drive my car daily and the noise doesnt bother me, but to some people it might be a bit much.
I'll second this. the Pypes X/Borlas combo is not exactly stealthy, and not likely to be spouse approved (unless one has a really cool spouse) but they do sound really mean.