V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@January 26, 2006, 9:36 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with a conversation in the PM's we had.. HMMMM!! This could be very interesting... If in fact its what I am thinking, and he did keep it a single exhaust, this is going to be one of the best write-ups ever.....

I actually never thought of running it single..

Actually I got a non-performance mod while I was there too! LOL! I'll have a better write up on that I think... LOL!
Old 1/26/06, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

im dyin here man lol.
Old 1/26/06, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scrming@January 26, 2006, 9:06 PM
Ok... I did an exhaust mod today... after a long discussion with Scott Hoag of MRT... I'll be posting a new thread about it soon... need to download stuff and type it up...
For a minute there, when you dropped a hint on the other thread, I thought you got your hands on a MRT turbo.

But this should still be interesting.
Old 1/26/06, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 26, 2006, 10:05 PM
For a minute there, when you dropped a hint on the other thread, I thought you got your hands on a MRT turbo.

But this should still be interesting.

Nope... no turbo... There turbo will be a ways out...
Old 1/27/06, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Might be getting my hands on a GT catted H-pipe, so I can just do a straight swap out. If so, then I will be running a stock GT exhaust for the first dyno (pipes and mufflers) as the lowest cost option. Then I will play around with mufflers.
Old 1/27/06, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 27, 2006, 11:54 PM
Might be getting my hands on a GT catted H-pipe, so I can just do a straight swap out. If so, then I will be running a stock GT exhaust for the first dyno (pipes and mufflers) as the lowest cost option. Then I will play around with mufflers.
Is that the source i hooked you up with?
Old 1/28/06, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 28, 2006, 1:21 AM
Is that the source i hooked you up with?
No, all your guy had left was an O/R H, which I would be tempted to get but I live in VA. So I posted in the classifieds in both sites and got some hits. I just need some more particulars from the seller. I am excited, though!!

New thoughts:

1. GTs add HP by getting rid of the "restrictive" stock exhaust and/or mufflers.
2. V6's have made respectable gains by releasing backpressure with aftermarket muflers.
3. Lose too much backpressure on a V6, and you lose some low end torque.
4. The "restrictive" stock GT exhaust may release enough backpressure but not be too free flowing for my V6.

So I really hope that the seller come through. Anticipated install date of whatever system I get is Monday, Feb 20.
Old 1/28/06, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

My thoughts exactly. Im very pleased with my take off GT system. Its quiet enough so that it doesnt draw attention, but sounds great when I jump on it.
Old 1/28/06, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 28, 2006, 11:59 AM
My thoughts exactly. Im very pleased with my take off GT system. Its quiet enough so that it doesnt draw attention, but sounds great when I jump on it.
Are you running GT mufflers, too? Todd has a set that I can throw on until I determine exactly what I want to put on. I was going to put on JBAs (and they are still on my list), but I do not want to open up my exhasut system detrimentally. If I don't lose any torque on this install, or if I gain torque (which would be awesome!!), I will consider other muffler options.
Old 1/29/06, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

New thought #3 there has had me concerned for a while. I have mentioned in other threads here that I have seen it happen on other model cars. It is a real drag to shell out some cash, spend the whole day installing an exhaust (sacrificing some of your knuckles in the process) only to realize you have lost some throttle response and low end torque.

Has anyone heard anything about "fully tuned" headers for our Mustangs yet, or is that just an antiquated term now?
Old 1/30/06, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Im running GT muffs.

I live in a small town with an aggressive police force. I cant run loud muffs, I would get ticketed on a regular basis.

the sleeper look/sound is the way to go.
Old 2/5/06, 07:20 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotts05custom @ January 26, 2006, 10:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can't your local shop just fabricate you an H pipe? Just use 2 "t" pipes...not hard.
[/b][/quote]

this is a good question, any thoughts on it
Old 2/5/06, 07:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregbe1 @ February 5, 2006, 9:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
this is a good question, any thoughts on it
[/b][/quote]

Yes, you can. It's pretty cheap to do. Also, I thought I would update everyone on this:

My car is currently at Excessive Motorsport. They are taking out my Y pipes and putting in my Magnaflow X pipe. I have a before dyno, and they are going to do an after dyno. I expect to get her back Tuesday or Wednesday (they are doing a lot to the car this time around!).

Later!
Old 2/5/06, 08:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BurntPony @ January 30, 2006, 10:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Im running GT muffs.

I live in a small town with an aggressive police force. I cant run loud muffs, I would get ticketed on a regular basis.

the sleeper look/sound is the way to go.
[/b][/quote]

I'm running GT takeoff duals too. I wouldn't exactly call it a "sleeper" mod tho'. I get lots of comments on how good it sounds. I think it's a good balance between decent sound, and not getting something that's annoying to live with, or draws unwanted attention from the law enforcement community.

I had MAC duals for a while and while the cops weren't an issue (moderate size city, cops seem to be in "speed trap only" mode) they did make it annoying to try and talk or listen to the radio.
Old 2/5/06, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 5, 2006, 10:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes, you can. It's pretty cheap to do. Also, I thought I would update everyone on this:

My car is currently at Excessive Motorsport. They are taking out my Y pipes and putting in my Magnaflow X pipe. I have a before dyno, and they are going to do an after dyno. I expect to get her back Tuesday or Wednesday (they are doing a lot to the car this time around!).

Later!
[/b][/quote]

Rygen, Is your before dyno with the stock exhaust or with the dual setup?

Im interested with a dyno that goes from a bone stock exhaust to a true dual setup.
Old 2/5/06, 08:59 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BurntPony @ February 5, 2006, 10:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Rygen, Is your before dyno with the stock exhaust or with the dual setup?

Im interested with a dyno that goes from a bone stock exhaust to a true dual setup.
[/b][/quote]

Unfortunately no, not quite like that. I will be going from Maganflow Dual w/Y pipe to a X pipe. My af should be the same as a single because I am going from a Y to a single pipe for several feet back to a Y. It wont' be stock to xpipe duals. I don't have the stock pipe any more.
Old 2/7/06, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Bump.

Its Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2/7/06, 08:35 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BurntPony @ February 7, 2006, 10:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Bump.

Its Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/b][/quote]

Ok, I just got off the phone with them, need to go pick up the car. But they did tell me what the final number was for SAE after the X pipe:
  • Plus 2 RWHP
There you go, a whopping 2HP. My contribution to the mustang community. LOL.
Old 2/7/06, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 7, 2006, 10:38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, I just got off the phone with them, need to go pick up the car. But they did tell me what the final number was for SAE after the X pipe:
  • Plus 2 RWHP
There you go, a whopping 2HP. My contribution to the mustang community. LOL.
[/b][/quote]

Guess I'll be sticking with my single... LOL!

Ok.. now order the MRT mufflers and see how much you pick up over the Magnaflows! LOL!

And thank you for your contribution! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]