V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/06, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Okay, so Rygen (Todd) ordered an X pipe to attach to his Magnaflow system. I was going to get an X-pipe as well. However, we decided that it would more beneficial to the V6 community if I went with the GT H-pipe. That way, we could both use our before and after numbers. It won't be a head-to-head comparison, as he already has the "Reverse Y" dual system, as I call it. BUT we can still see if the X adds a performance advantage over his current set-up, and then if an H provides a performance advantage over my current (stock w/ JBA muffler) set-up. And if he is willing, we can post sound clips of both of the systems. This might be very useful for future and current members wanting to go duals but unsure if it is worth it for sound or performance gains.

I know, I know, this is the THIRD exhaust system that I have proposed for my car....

Bear with me, people!
Old 1/20/06, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully, after this we will have hard numbers on what duals really give our cars, if anything at all. At the very least, we will have some good sounding exhaust systems.

I can make clips for both systems and post them.
Old 1/20/06, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, very cool guys!

Let me see if I understand this---you'll compare the following:

1) Y-pipe vs. X-pipe on dual Magnaflows (Rygen)

2) Single JBA vs. dual JBA with H-pipe (Excepcion)

Okay, now my predictions

For case #1--some improvement in sound, but little if any HP gains (maybe 1-3 HP?)

For case #2--an improvement in sound, but more gains than above (maybe 5-10 HP?)
Old 1/20/06, 09:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if such a selfless act for the benefit of the community could be tax deductable as a charitable contribution

Looking forward to your results.
Old 1/20/06, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@January 20, 2006, 8:35 AM
I wonder if such a selfless act for the benefit of the community could be tax deductable as a charitable contribution

haha! I'll run that by my tax lady!
Old 1/20/06, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by P_Kiley@January 20, 2006, 11:35 AM

I use my car for my side consulting IT business, I could write it off as auto maitenance. LOL. We are talking like a $5-10 kick back, if even that much. Heh heh.
Old 1/20/06, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Hambone@January 20, 2006, 12:29 PM
Wow, very cool guys!

Let me see if I understand this---you'll compare the following:

1) Y-pipe vs. X-pipe on dual Magnaflows (Rygen)

2) Single JBA vs. dual JBA with H-pipe (Excepcion)

Okay, now my predictions

For case #1--some improvement in sound, but little if any HP gains (maybe 1-3 HP?)

For case #2--an improvement in sound, but more gains than above (maybe 5-10 HP?)
I think you are correct.

However, we really won't know until we do it. And if the H pipe nets me very little gains, then I might throw on the X and see if that makes a difference. If not, I will stay with the one that sounds best.
Old 1/20/06, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought my h-pipe used from a guy on AllFordMustangs Forums for $40. The rest of the system I bought from Clevander Ford.

If you look around the Mustang forums you can find a GT guy that went with an offroad pipe or LTH's.

Im very pleased with my GT system, wouldnt trade it for anything else Ive seen so far. The GT muffs? Whisper queit, just like I wanted it.
Old 1/22/06, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Bump

Where are we at here fellas?

Is this still a go?
Old 1/22/06, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
Bump

Where are we at here fellas?

Is this still a go?

Spoke with Excepcion13 on Friday, he is in process of getting his parts and talking with Excessive. My Magnaflow Tru-X is ordered, and on its way. As soon as I get it, it gets welded in, and put on the dyno.
Old 1/22/06, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

In the interest of convenience, I will be ordering the JBA H-pipe True Dual set. I may have to get a different shop to install it, but it should be going on very soon. I will have to get with Todd so that he can give me a hand with cutting the bumper.

Todd, can you help me cut the bumper?

I found the JBA silver ceramic headers for cheap, too.... It's tempting! BUT that won't let us know about the H vs X... And I can always do that at a later date... But it IS tempting...
Old 1/22/06, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 22, 2006, 8:39 PM
In the interest of convenience, I will be ordering the JBA H-pipe True Dual set. I may have to get a different shop to install it, but it should be going on very soon. I will have to get with Todd so that he can give me a hand with cutting the bumper.

Todd, can you help me cut the bumper?

I found the JBA silver ceramic headers for cheap, too.... It's tempting! BUT that won't let us know about the H vs X... And I can always do that at a later date... But it IS tempting...

I can help you do it, I know a guy (Burdweiser on Mustangforums.com ) who did step by step instructions on it with pics.

He did a good job showing people how to cut the bumper. Check it out:

http://www.burdweiser.com/Mustang/mustang_exhaust.htm
Old 1/24/06, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I am getting so discouraged. After reading Hamid's post, I decided to call JBA and inquire about their systems. They have not dyno tested either one, but they maintained that there were no sound or performance difference between themm. Also, the aluminized steel is only guaranteed for 2 years.

So I think I am going with the Magnaflow reverse Y and just install it myself at the Auto Hobby Shop. I am going to sleep on it and see. But I am not going to pay the same price for a system that will not offer any performance gains over a comparable stainless steel system that I can add a Prochamber or X-pipe to at a later date.

If I sound a little down, it is because I have had a day full of disappointments. Sorry to keep waffling about this. I will post new numbers when I get whatever system I finally go with installed. Right now it looks like the Magnaflow catbacks.

Thanks for your patience, gentlemen!
Old 1/24/06, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

So why not go with the left side GT midpipe, h-pipe, and GT muffs for now. Upgrade the muffs later.

Its all SS, sounds great, and I think a defininate power increase. Also costs a heap less than an all SS true dual system.
Old 1/24/06, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 24, 2006, 4:17 PM
I am getting so discouraged. After reading Hamid's post, I decided to call JBA and inquire about their systems. They have not dyno tested either one, but they maintained that there were no sound or performance difference between themm. Also, the aluminized steel is only guaranteed for 2 years.

So I think I am going with the Magnaflow reverse Y and just install it myself at the Auto Hobby Shop. I am going to sleep on it and see. But I am not going to pay the same price for a system that will not offer any performance gains over a comparable stainless steel system that I can add a Prochamber or X-pipe to at a later date.

If I sound a little down, it is because I have had a day full of disappointments. Sorry to keep waffling about this. I will post new numbers when I get whatever system I finally go with installed. Right now it looks like the Magnaflow catbacks.

Thanks for your patience, gentlemen!
That's my plan, the Magnaflow duals(y-pipe). I like the fact that it's SS. I honestly don't think that having an x or h pipe will make a difference worth noting. My biggest reason for wanting to do it is to have the extra pipe coming out the back. It will look more like my old 5.0. You know it's funny, your current mods, planned mods, debating and "dream" mods are all almost identical to mine, except I'm sticking to the shorty headers(MAC).
Old 1/24/06, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BurntPony@January 24, 2006, 4:42 PM
So why not go with the left side GT midpipe, h-pipe, and GT muffs for now. Upgrade the muffs later.

Its all SS, sounds great, and I think a defininate power increase. Also costs a heap less than an all SS true dual system.
I am having a hard time getting just the H pipe. I saw your set-up and it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Maybe I will hold off for a while. But I wanted to make a move on this stuff ASAP.
Old 1/24/06, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Is everyone who is putting true duals on their V6 staying with the 2.5" pipes or is anyone switching to 3" ? Just :scratch:
Old 1/24/06, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by slowjoe24@January 24, 2006, 4:39 PM
Is everyone who is putting true duals on their V6 staying with the 2.5" pipes or is anyone switching to 3" ? Just :scratch:
Everyone I know, including myself is 2.5. I don't know anyone using 3".
Old 1/24/06, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@January 24, 2006, 3:50 PM
That's my plan, the Magnaflow duals(y-pipe). I like the fact that it's SS. I honestly don't think that having an x or h pipe will make a difference worth noting. My biggest reason for wanting to do it is to have the extra pipe coming out the back. It will look more like my old 5.0. You know it's funny, your current mods, planned mods, debating and "dream" mods are all almost identical to mine, except I'm sticking to the shorty headers(MAC).

Well when it comes to Magnaflows my opinion is biased, consdiering I love mine. I just wish they made headers, so end to end my exhaust system would be Magnaflow. Oh well.

My plan so far is Mikes turbo as well.
Old 1/24/06, 03:39 PM

Speak of the devil, look what just arrived on my door step from Speed Unlimited:

Ins't it beautiful! I probably wont get a gain with it, but what the heck. Let's do it!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment