V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Dyno Results: Tunable Induction CAI

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/06, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John DeMolet from Tunable Induction approached me after I put up my post of 190RWHP, and how I was hoping for more of gain near 193. He offered to let me test his unit at no cost up front to see if I could reach my goal of 193 or better.

So, he sent me a new TI CAI, with NKG spark plugs. I was really excited about the NKG’s because of my pending Zex order. As you can see from the photos, the MAF tube is significantly larger than the stock tube, and it is made out of carbon fiber with a huge air filter.

Now that we have everything installed, it was time to put it on the dyno. Prior to install, we did a dyno run for comparison. Here is what the run was with the AFE:

• 190.0 RWHP
• 203.5 RWTQ

Now, with the Tunable Induction CAI, we got the following:

• 192.0 RWHP
• 200.5 RWTQ

And with Chris (Excessive) making some minor AF changes, the final best was:

• 193.9 RWHP
• 203.6 RWTQ

On all three runs, my max power was observed at 5700 RPM. Once I get in to work, I will actually scan the dyno sheets and post them up. I am open to some suggestions on my TQ numbers, I’m really expecting more than what I have.

Following this, I am going to give John’s (Tunable Induction) SCT tunes a try and put her on the dyno and see what we come up with. Keep in mind that Chris (Excessive) said my car was running rich which is where he prefers it. He didn’t want the car running lean, but that may have something to do with the final numbers.

Another thing I need to do is find out what if Excessive put in the spark plugs before or after these tunes. My guess is after because I think they did the spark plugs with my Zex install. I will be contacting them shortly to find out the specifics.

More to come on this one.

PS: Clean engine compartment questions can be directed to the nearest brick wall. Car has been through several snow falls and I’m not cleaning it till the winter season is over.
Old 1/14/06, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks nice and sounds like a performer! It will be interesting to see how the supplied tunes compare to the current/custom ones. Your HP is moving in the right direction!!

I'm going to get my car dyno'd at the end of the month (local club event---$50 for 3 pulls, including a/f!). I really doubt that I'll get any before/after CAI pulls, but if I at least know the RWHP (maybe with 2 different Lido tunes?) I'll know a lot more than I do now! hehe
Old 1/14/06, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Hambone@January 14, 2006, 1:47 PM
Looks nice and sounds like a performer! It will be interesting to see how the supplied tunes compare to the current/custom ones. Your HP is moving in the right direction!!

I'm going to get my car dyno'd at the end of the month (local club event---$50 for 3 pulls, including a/f!). I really doubt that I'll get any before/after CAI pulls, but if I at least know the RWHP (maybe with 2 different Lido tunes?) I'll know a lot more than I do now! hehe
Thanks Hambone. I can't wait to see your numbers.
Old 1/14/06, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Rygn looks good and like you picked up 2RWHP then another 1.9 with the tune not bad! It would be interesting to know if the plugs were installed first esp since he is running it al ittle rich. I like pictures
Old 1/15/06, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by TJ06@January 14, 2006, 4:56 PM
Rygn looks good and like you picked up 2RWHP then another 1.9 with the tune not bad! It would be interesting to know if the plugs were installed first esp since he is running it al ittle rich. I like pictures

Plugs were installed after the tune for the Zex, pictures and dynos of the Zex to follow. The main control unit failed, so zex has to send a new one, lol. But here is a sneak peak of something really cool.

And come to find out, the tune is very conservative in preperation for the Zex, so I think she might be good for a little more. Chris said she was running pretty darn rich.

LOL.
Old 1/15/06, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

dude... need to resize your pics! LOL!

Ok... to get the heater to work the best it should be placed so that big black box thing is closer to being underneath... That's about the hottest part... you want it on the underside, towards the bottom of the bottle so you heat the liquid nitrous...

Did you guys just not put the pressure gauge on yet? You'll want to make sure you develop your tune at a know bottle pressure to be safe... for example you develop a tune when the bottle pressure is only 700 but then you go run on a hot day and the PSI is 900 could be a problem... Seem 900PSI is about the norm for me with with the heater on...
Old 1/15/06, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by scrming@January 15, 2006, 7:47 PM
dude... need to resize your pics! LOL!

Ok... to get the heater to work the best it should be placed so that big black box thing is closer to being underneath... That's about the hottest part... you want it on the underside, towards the bottom of the bottle so you heat the liquid nitrous...

Did you guys just not put the pressure gauge on yet? You'll want to make sure you develop your tune at a know bottle pressure to be safe... for example you develop a tune when the bottle pressure is only 700 but then you go run on a hot day and the PSI is 900 could be a problem... Seem 900PSI is about the norm for me with with the heater on...

Actually I did resize the pics, you are just too fast for me. Thanks for the tips, I'll take it to the guys at the shop. I also need to find out whats up with my pressure gauge, its not installed yet.

Thanks man.
Old 1/16/06, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Rygn looks nice something about that purple Zex bottles can't point my finger on it but its just cool looking maybe unique is a better word.

The console setup looks good to congrats now go easy on the bottle
Old 1/16/06, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by TJ06@January 16, 2006, 11:12 AM
Rygn looks nice something about that purple Zex bottles can't point my finger on it but its just cool looking maybe unique is a better word.

The console setup looks good to congrats now go easy on the bottle

Yep, I'm really digging he console setup. Can't wait to try it out, the main control unit was bad so I have to wait for it to arrive before I can test it out.
Old 1/16/06, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool! You mounted the bottle right under the stereo

Seriously now, the switches look nice there. Guess you don't have the computer? My buttons in that spot are functional...

Can't wait to hear your numbers with the gas!

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 15, 2006, 7:34 PM
Plugs were installed after the tune for the Zex, pictures and dynos of the Zex to follow. The main control unit failed, so zex has to send a new one, lol. But here is a sneak peak of something really cool.

And come to find out, the tune is very conservative in preperation for the Zex, so I think she might be good for a little more. Chris said she was running pretty darn rich.

LOL.
Old 1/21/06, 03:29 PM

Got my tune from John DeMolet today (tunable inductions) and just loaded it up on my XCAL2. Will give it a try tonight and post some results.