V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Check out this V-6!

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/04, 04:37 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i like this car! not exactly what i would have done with mine, if i had one, but tasteful IMO. the crome is a nice touch. only thing is i think that the scoop should be just a lil bit bigger. otherwise great car, kudos to the customizer.

im surprised how many V6 haters/dislikers there are here. Ban the V6 he said (no names) im sorry dude but you are full of SH w/o it we'd all be screwed. i cant beleive this. i know its not all of you, and im sorry for boring you with this post but c'mon, what isnt there to like about the 6? sure the power is a lil lower, but thats not what everybody wants. i personally want the power of a V8, but i dont go bashin the 6 for bein weaker. that'd be like me beating the crap out of my 11 year old bro. sure i give him a lil teasin here n there, and he does **** me off ocasionaly, but i dont hate him. you cant hate the younger bro of the Mustang GT.

and one last thing. IT AINT RICE UNLESS IT ADVERTISING POWER AND SPEED THAT ISNT THERE. u know, bench spoilers, decals from companies whose parta arent even in the car. callin this car "rice" is like sayin the chick who looks nice is a ****, just cuz she looks nice. :nono:
Old 12/14/04, 06:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NosferatuVI@December 13, 2004, 1:52 PM
well you can go high dollar and slap the SuperCharger for the same motor in the explorer into the mustang for about $2,600 (half the cost dif of the GT).

you can drop in 3.74 gears and the rear sway bar.

equal length headers (again for the same motor found in the explorer)

65mm Throttle Body

dump the restrictive muffler for a free flowing unit of your choice.

"cam" the timing 1 degree ADV.

raise the fuel pressure by 30psi

switch out the "squirters" with high flow units from RC engineering.

swap the pullies with the underdrive units (again already out for the same motor in the explorer)

put in the CAI unit

even without the supercharger if you do just the above low cost "bolt ons" that with the slight weight advantage and lack of bottom end "bog" in the GT and the V6 is capable of hole shoting the GT off the line up to 80 or 85 mph. Which is all you need in stop light battles. Of course on the highway the GT will ALWAYS over take any V6 but that purely on displacement and raw torq available at the top end.

But on the Street, you are not doing 140mph between stoplights, so what counts is being able to drop gears in the car while cruising at say 2k or less on the street, hammering the throttle and getting the car to launch ahead of your street rival.

I have done this many many times on the street in a modified honda against some jock head in his stock 5.0. Sure if you have a modified V8 then its almost no match. But how many people running around in a GT have a fully hopped up car ? Not many because of A the fuel expense and maint expense or the high cost of insurance.

Plus to get the 05 GT to really run hard off the line YOU HAVE TOMUST HAVE TO HAVE NO CHOICE but to reflash the ecu. And how many of these brainless, clueless macho man types on the street buying the GT are really going to know that or know where to go to get their car flashed ?

I think we will see some really sick V6's here in the next few months.
Hope you plan on replacing your transmission, the manual on the V6 won't hold up for long with that s/c on there.
Old 12/14/04, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shelby GT300, the GT305R, the "elenor", the 90's body style 5.0 Mustangs, the 03 Cobra etc all used the Tremec T5.

I am sure that my V6 hopped up to roughly 285hp and maybe 270flbs of Torq will work just fine on the T5.

I might swap the rear end for a GT unit (8.8 vs 7 I think) if I find my self at the drags all the time but other then that I doubt I will have a problem.
Old 12/14/04, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@December 14, 2004, 11:33 AM
The Shelby GT300, the GT305R, the "elenor", the 90's body style 5.0 Mustangs, the 03 Cobra etc all used the Tremec T5.

I am sure that my V6 hopped up to roughly 285hp and maybe 270flbs of Torq will work just fine on the T5.

I might swap the rear end for a GT unit (8.8 vs 7 I think) if I find my self at the drags all the time but other then that I doubt I will have a problem.
I am just curious as to why you aren't just getting a GT and doing all those mods to the GT and getting 350-375 hp from it?
Old 12/14/04, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

because there are a lot of things that I dont like about the current GT motor.

Charge Motion Control Unit
Throttle by Wire
ECU hiccup that is causing the motor to jump time
unfinished or misaligned rear diffy
Coil on Plug
crappy electrical tape junk in the engine bay that makes the motor look half finished
Ease of Maint on the V6 vs the V8 ie access to exhaust manifold bolts, spark plugs, oil filter etc
Amount of spare room in the engine bay for things like Sc piping.
Ease of access to front end suspension components, so I can swap out the control arms easier etc
Lack of bottom end bog found in the current GT motor attributed to the "parental guidance program" in the ECU.

And the thrill of building a capable GT killer out of the V6.
Old 12/14/04, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@December 14, 2004, 11:49 AM

Throttle by Wire
Coil on Plug
crappy electrical tape junk in the engine bay that makes the motor look half finished
Ease of Maint on the V6 vs the V8 ie access to exhaust manifold bolts, spark plugs, oil filter etc
Ease of access to front end suspension components, so I can swap out the control arms easier etc
Lack of bottom end bog found in the current GT motor attributed to the "parental guidance program" in the ECU.

So the only reason is to beat another Mustang? Hmm, that's interesting, I would much rather make a Mustang capable of beating a Vette, ect..., but that's just me.
Old 12/14/04, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@December 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

The '03 Cobra has a 6-spd, the T-56, which I am thinking about putting in my GT. According to the manufacturer, the T-5 is only good up to 230 ft-lbs, but that doesn't really make sense, since the V6 stock has 240. So who knows.
Old 12/14/04, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Tremec T5's are rated up to 300ft lbs of Torq. The reason they did not use it in the GT is because the GT stock is already at 285 ft lbs and if you mod it and increase the torq to lets say just 315 or 320 then there will be lots of failures, hence the reason why they went with the T3560 in the GT

You should always have at least 15% to 20% margin on the handling of your drivetrain to power output. So you take 80% of the rated Torq figure on "said" trans and then that is the MAX -typical load that your motor should put through the drivetrain. ie (300 ft lbs rated x 80% = 240 ft lbs matches pretty close to the V6) but not enough safety margin for the output of the V8 GT motor.
Old 12/14/04, 01:30 PM

Definitely eager to see your car after all the mods, make sure and take plenty of pics.
Old 12/14/04, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@December 14, 2004, 2:12 PM
Tremec T5's are rated up to 300ft lbs of Torq. The reason they did not use it in the GT is because the GT stock is already at 285 ft lbs and if you mod it and increase the torq to lets say just 315 or 320 then there will be lots of failures, hence the reason why they went with the T3560 in the GT

You should always have at least 15% to 20% margin on the handling of your drivetrain to power output. So you take 80% of the rated Torq figure on "said" trans and then that is the MAX -typical load that your motor should put through the drivetrain. ie (300 ft lbs rated x 80% = 240 ft lbs matches pretty close to the V6) but not enough safety margin for the output of the V8 GT motor.
GT stock has 320 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 12/19/04, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

I just thought everyone would like to see something alittle different.... Nobody likes everything, but to each their own. At least he's having fun playing with his car.
Old 12/20/04, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@December 14, 2004, 11:49 AM

Throttle by Wire
Coil on Plug

sure you could spend upwards of $5k to beat a GT with a V6 but why?
Old 12/20/04, 02:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't find that relfashing the GT was much of a pain at all for the changes it made. Seems like that list I read on possible V6 mods would be much more time consuming and expensive. I would concur that if power is your mission then the extra 2 cylinders is a more logical choice...I have ZERO problems with the V6 and would have never jumped in here and bashed it like some did. I enjoyed the test drive I took in one before buying my '05 GT. I love all mustangs and certainly wouldn't go out and bash a fellow stanger for what's under his hood. I do think it's odd that the V6 owners seem so threatened or defensive on these issues though.. I was just calmly reading along on page 1 and taking in what people thought of the modded V6 stang and then I catch somebody start saying how GT owners are snobs etc. I never even thought to look down and see what kind of stangs the people commenting were driving. I took their post as what they thought about the car and not what they thought of it vs. the big GT v8 that they own. I guess some people look down and take exception if a person's opinion is different and they happen to own a more expensive stang. Seems crazy to me to get worked up.....I mean why should you? If you are happy with your purchase then be happy with it and don't start taking pot shots at others just because they wanted something else. Some people wanted V6 coupes and that's all good in my book. But I don;t want to be called a snob because I spent for the GT. The comment about how he hoped Cobra owners would bash us GT owners was interesting. You hope that other people bash me that have mustangs that are pricier then mine? So you would like the cycle of ignorance to continue then? Great....If that's what some shallow person wants to do then let them. I'm happy with my purchase and it doesn't matter whether they like it or hate it...We all just want to own a nice '05 stang and there are different choices for everyone....Personal attacks and assumptions aren't necessary at all and if need be let's use them on those cars we're being compared to instead of on eachother (everything from Cobalts to Corvettes)......Be nice if Stangers could "all just get along" .....I hope everyone thoroughly enjoys their '05 purchase and isn't forced into feeling like they have to second guess the hard earned money they are spending... Hope I haven't offended anyone...just terrible to see us badgering eachother... :notnice:
Old 12/20/04, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Mustang69-05@December 12, 2004, 11:48 AM
I've been surfing all over waiting for my new GT to come in to see what I want to do to it. This stuff looks pretty cool. I don't know where he got this stuff I'm waiting for a response.

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ry.ten?id=4393

Any help would be nice!!!
Did you ever hear back from the guy about where he got the stuff?
I'd like to know where he got the tail light trim.
Maybe they offer them in black.
Old 12/24/04, 12:49 PM
GT Member

I like it with the exception of the chrome trim on the exterior, except on the front, that looks really neat and adds a retro touch. The scoop, stripes, and corral in the grill look nice to me.
Old 12/27/04, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by swingle007@December 20, 2004, 3:09 PM
I didn't find that relfashing the GT was much of a pain at all for the changes it made. Seems like that list I read on possible V6 mods would be much more time consuming and expensive. I would concur that if power is your mission then the extra 2 cylinders is a more logical choice...I have ZERO problems with the V6 and would have never jumped in here and bashed it like some did. I enjoyed the test drive I took in one before buying my '05 GT. I love all mustangs and certainly wouldn't go out and bash a fellow stanger for what's under his hood. I do think it's odd that the V6 owners seem so threatened or defensive on these issues though.. I was just calmly reading along on page 1 and taking in what people thought of the modded V6 stang and then I catch somebody start saying how GT owners are snobs etc. I never even thought to look down and see what kind of stangs the people commenting were driving. I took their post as what they thought about the car and not what they thought of it vs. the big GT v8 that they own. I guess some people look down and take exception if a person's opinion is different and they happen to own a more expensive stang. Seems crazy to me to get worked up.....I mean why should you? If you are happy with your purchase then be happy with it and don't start taking pot shots at others just because they wanted something else. Some people wanted V6 coupes and that's all good in my book. But I don;t want to be called a snob because I spent for the GT. The comment about how he hoped Cobra owners would bash us GT owners was interesting. You hope that other people bash me that have mustangs that are pricier then mine? So you would like the cycle of ignorance to continue then? Great....If that's what some shallow person wants to do then let them. I'm happy with my purchase and it doesn't matter whether they like it or hate it...We all just want to own a nice '05 stang and there are different choices for everyone....Personal attacks and assumptions aren't necessary at all and if need be let's use them on those cars we're being compared to instead of on eachother (everything from Cobalts to Corvettes)......Be nice if Stangers could "all just get along" .....I hope everyone thoroughly enjoys their '05 purchase and isn't forced into feeling like they have to second guess the hard earned money they are spending... Hope I haven't offended anyone...just terrible to see us badgering eachother... :notnice:
well said.
Old 12/27/04, 03:34 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12/27/04, 03:35 PM
I'm people, and I like.

x2
Old 12/27/04, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've owned a Redfire V6 ('05) with charcoal interior...way too much black (like sitting in a hole). I would have added the chrome stripes along the dash for some added color. I like the chrome trim around the wheel well (may depend on the color of the car). I sold it and purchased a Windveil blue GT because I wanted side airbags and the IUP.
Many of the comments about V6s were totally uncalled for. More folks stopped and looked at the V6 than the GT (the color, I think). There is no reason to degrade another club member for his or her choice of the V6 - or how the owner wants to customize it. If you are a GT owner and you want to continue thinking that way....go start another club/Mustang source just for GT owners.
Old 12/28/04, 06:14 AM
FR500 Member

I like some of the things he did, but I subscribe to the design paradigm of less is more. I think he went a bit overboard, it's starting to resemble a rolling J.C. Whitney advertisment.

And thanks for your comment Swingle, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the reaction was a bit too much over what amounted to 2 posts.

Check yourself before you Wreck yourself

Quick Reply: Check out this V-6!