V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

CAI vs K&N Filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/05, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that there are other threads on this topic, but I just want to get the facts here and not listen to guesses or theories. My next upgrade will be the intake, and can't decide to either go with the CAI from MMR, or just replace the stock filter with a K&N replacement. The CAI by MMR looks as if it would bring in alot of hot air from under the hood especially in the summertime. They also claim your car will NOT require a "tune" after install, but I read a thread here that it should be "tuned" because it would run lean(er). Could it run like this without the "tune" and be alright over a long period of time?? The K&N replacement claims to flow better than stock, and goes into the factory airbox that actually brings in cool air from the fender not the engine bay like the CAI from MMR. Does this seem to make more sense ???
Old 3/18/05, 11:19 AM

I dont know about all that. It seems the mmr is a short-ram not CAI if it takes in heat from the engine bay. You will get more performance from an intake that brings in air from the fender. Anyway I'm going with a K&N becuase it doesn't void your warranty.
Old 3/18/05, 11:36 AM
V6 Member

I got the K&N and I can't say I've noticed any difference from stock compared to K&N yet.
Old 3/18/05, 11:54 AM

The difference will come in when there alot of miles driven with it in. K&N performes better when dirty compared to the stock when dirty.
Old 3/19/05, 08:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Will the CAI void the warranty?
Old 3/19/05, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by yur1279@March 19, 2005, 10:13 AM
Will the CAI void the warranty?
Its really going to depend on the dealer you take the car too. Most of them wont void the warranty over a CAI. But keep in mind, if you used something such as the JLT CAI that stinks down a lot more air than the stock box you could have trouble in the long run. If the car runs too lean for too long its just trouble.

Short answer: Ask your dealer. If he says yes, take it to another
Old 3/19/05, 07:59 PM

I had some time to kill yestaerday, so I called 6 Ford dealers in my area and none of them had a problem with the K&N drop in replacement filter, but when it came to the CAI which should be "tuned", they said if I fool with the computer by "self tuning" or "reflashing", then kiss your waranty good bye. I'm gonna go with the K&N or Steeda drop in filter. The little bit more gain that you might get with a CAI, is not worth the risk.
Old 3/31/05, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by 6 Banger@March 19, 2005, 9:02 PM
I had some time to kill yestaerday, so I called 6 Ford dealers in my area and none of them had a problem with the K&N drop in replacement filter, but when it came to the CAI which should be "tuned", they said if I fool with the computer by "self tuning" or "reflashing", then kiss your waranty good bye. I'm gonna go with the K&N or Steeda drop in filter. The little bit more gain that you might get with a CAI, is not worth the risk.
Hey Six your sig says "CAI" but your post says "no CAI". :scratch:

I guess you changed your mind? Did you reflash?

I'd love to get CAI for my V6 but I'm not going to buy or use a tuning device. I'm installing two GT take-off mufflers (I'm the genius that melted his bumper) and intake is the only other thing I'll consider doing most likely. Does anyone know if the combination of GT mufflers with custom dual exhaust along with the MMR intake will be a decent mod? Maybe 10 or 15 more ponys?
Old 4/1/05, 03:25 AM
Cobra Member

the MMR kit looks like it uses the stock tubing and just replaces the box with an "open" air filter. $199 seems a bit high for that unless I am mistaken