V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Buying an '06 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/05 | 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

So, i'm looking at ordering an '06 mustang V6. Reasons for getting V6 - price of car and insurance. I drove a V6 and it had plenty of power, a great sound and smooth ride, nothing to complain about. No rattles or shakes in the interior. Seemed like everything was built strong. I'm looking at getting an '06 mustang premium v6 coupe with the pony package, interior upgrade package, and a few other enhancements. I'd like to ask all the '05 owners here, is it a good buy?

I know the GT has had some engine problems, but what about the V6? From what i've read the '05 V6 is supposed to be quicker than the '04 GT. And when i test drove it, it had the power to make me believe. Has anyone experienced any major or even little annoying problems with their '05 V6 mustang? I also have a question concerning the shaker systems, which is - is there any difference between the shaker 500 and 1000, other than the 1000's extra 2 speakers and subwoofer? And does the shaker 1000 subwoofer take up alot of room in the truck, sacrificing trunk space isnt somehting i like doing, especially since heavy bass isnt something i really am looking for, as far as audio goes, i just like a clean, noise good quality sound. The 8 speakers of the shaker 500 i figure should provide that. Also, i've noticed in some pictures mustang seats have ridges in them, are these ridged seats available for the V6 or is that a GT only feature?
Old 7/29/05 | 11:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That seems like a great buy.
Now the V6 has no real major problems, except some minor rattles on a few car's, on the 06 I bet everything will be perfect.
I don't know where you read that this V6 is quicker that last years GT, but it isn't. It is no slouch however.
I have the Shaker 1000, but haven't compared it with the 500. The woofers on the trunk don't take much space, I've taken my mom to the grocery store, and we fit an overflowing cart full of stuff on there.
As for the ridges, yes they are there, but are fatter.
I know you'll love this car when you figure out what you want
Old 7/29/05 | 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The minor rattles, is there any fix for these. If there's one thing i hate in a car, its interior plastic rattling around.
Old 7/29/05 | 11:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I guess I worded it wrong, the interior is solid, but there have been minor cases of the mains in the crank to be noisey when clutch is out & on neutral. It is normal, but if too much get dealer to check thrust bearing. This is not a big deal, so I don't want to make it seems like it is.
I suppose there are no rattles, rather a few cases of a few noises like whines from the drivetrain, especially the rear differential. These are not big things, but things that you may want to keep in mind.

If you happen to get these on any recently build 05 or on the 06 (very unlikely), then the dealer will take care of it and make it perfect.

It's a great solid car, you'll be pleased.
Old 7/30/05 | 01:02 AM
Cobra R Member

This years auto v6 is only .2 seconds slower in the quarter mile than last years gt auto. The only reason for that is the new 5 speed trans (old one had a 4speed). I cant say for certain, but ive raced my father's 01gt auto against my 5 speed manual v6 and i've beat him everytime from a stop up to 80 or so. From a roll, anything over 50 and he usually pulls a bit on me. His car is stock except for nitto 450 tires on cobraR rims and a K&N drop in. My car only has a K&N dropin.

All in all i love my car, ive only had 3 probs with it so far, my seat recliner was broken before i got it from people playin with it at the dealership, my evaporator needed replacing, and my alarm goes crazy (dealer installed alarm, not ford alarm). Its got 14000 (i know i know!) miles on it and still running strong.
Old 7/30/05 | 09:04 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@July 30, 2005, 12:05 AM
This years auto v6 is only .2 seconds slower in the quarter mile than last years gt auto. The only reason for that is the new 5 speed trans (old one had a 4speed). I cant say for certain, but ive raced my father's 01gt auto against my 5 speed manual v6 and i've beat him everytime from a stop up to 80 or so. From a roll, anything over 50 and he usually pulls a bit on me. His car is stock except for nitto 450 tires on cobraR rims and a K&N drop in. My car only has a K&N dropin.

All in all i love my car, ive only had 3 probs with it so far, my seat recliner was broken before i got it from people playin with it at the dealership, my evaporator needed replacing, and my alarm goes crazy (dealer installed alarm, not ford alarm). Its got 14000 (i know i know!) miles on it and still running strong.
Did you notice any differnce with the drop in K&N?
Old 8/8/05 | 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

I know about K&N drop ins I would recommend them to any one. I put one in my 03 Tacoma (hey my mustangs not here yet) a year back and the difference was noticible and thats in a V6 truck with 4 wheel drive and a double cab. I put one in my uncles V8 chevy truck and that thing havs more HP that is easily felt not to mention it slightly improves gas mileage. My Tacoma went from 19 in the city to 22 and from 21 to 26 on the highway.