V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Brake assist on V6?

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
At the top of page 149 of the owners manual (at least the PDF version I have found online) it talks about Brake Assist.

Brake Asist (if equipped)
The Brake Assis system provides full braking force during panic braking situations. It detects a rapid application of the brake pedal and maximizes the amount of brake booster assist, helping the driver to achieve maximum braking pressure. Once a panic brake application is detected, the system will remain activated as long as the brake pedal is depressed. The system is deactivated by releasing the brake pedal.

When the system activates, the brake pedal will travel with very little effort; this is normal.

I can't seem to find any information anywhere on whether this is on the Mustang (V6 or GT). I was hoping someone on here would have the answer.
Old 5/2/05, 10:34 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure, but I would think that is part of the ABS system. So if you have a V6 with ABS, then you would have that feature.

GT's all have ABS brakes, so they would all have it.....

Originally posted by AWmustang@May 2, 2005, 9:56 AM
At the top of page 149 of the owners manual (at least the PDF version I have found online) it talks about Brake Assist.

Brake Asist (if equipped)
The Brake Assis system provides full braking force during panic braking situations. It detects a rapid application of the brake pedal and maximizes the amount of brake booster assist, helping the driver to achieve maximum braking pressure. Once a panic brake application is detected, the system will remain activated as long as the brake pedal is depressed. The system is deactivated by releasing the brake pedal.

When the system activates, the brake pedal will travel with very little effort; this is normal.

I can't seem to find any information anywhere on whether this is on the Mustang (V6 or GT). I was hoping someone on here would have the answer.
Old 5/2/05, 11:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and Traction Control (TC) come together as one system. It is standard on the GT and optional on the V6 (Deluxe and Premium)

If you have a "Traction Control" on/off button to the right of your power outlet above your stereo, then you have ABS/TC.

You cannot turn off or disable ABS like you can the TC.

This is option "552" and is $775 MSRP and $690 Invoice.

Why they refer to it as "Brake Assist" I don't know.
Old 5/2/05, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Snets@May 2, 2005, 11:30 AM
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and Traction Control (TC) come together as one system. It is standard on the GT and optional on the V6 (Deluxe and Premium)

If you have a "Traction Control" on/off button to the right of your power outlet above your stereo, then you have ABS/TC.

You cannot turn off or disable ABS like you can the TC.

This is option "552" and is $775 MSRP and $690 Invoice.

Why they refer to it as "Brake Assist" I don't know.

The ABS is talked about on the previous page and is called ABS. The Brake Assist appears to be a different feature. It does not say whether it comes with the ABS package or not. Though, I agree, that would make sense.

Or is it possible that this is meant for another Ford vehicle and was place in by accident. (Other parts of the mustang manual refer to a moonroof, and the rear power window lockout button, neither of which are available on the car.)
Old 5/3/05, 04:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

I read the same section and have to assume I do not have it. I do have ABS. Try calling ford customer service. I assume if you have your VIN they can tell you what you have.
Old 5/3/05, 08:44 AM

Curiosity got the best of me. Drove down my road and slammed on my brakes at about 50. Pedal went much farther than usual, with little resistance. Was almost a little wierd feeling. But car came to a very nice, anti-lock stop. Could not get pedal to move as far down as it had while pushing on the brake pedal slower.

Yes, V6 with ABS/TC.
Old 5/3/05, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by openminds@May 3, 2005, 8:47 AM
Curiosity got the best of me. Drove down my road and slammed on my brakes at about 50. Pedal went much farther than usual, with little resistance. Was almost a little wierd feeling. But car came to a very nice, anti-lock stop. Could not get pedal to move as far down as it had while pushing on the brake pedal slower.

Yes, V6 with ABS/TC.
As you can see from my sig I don't have my car yet. If no one came up with the answer I was going to do just that. Thanks for being the gunnea pig.
Old 5/3/05, 02:21 PM
Cobra R Member

I opted for no abs or tcs in my car, i like the feel of being in control, not the car.

In case you are curious what happens when you do the 50mph stop without abs, basically the same thing, the wheels didnt lock up at all, but it was a hair raising (back end moving) stop.
Old 5/4/05, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 3, 2005, 2:24 PM
I opted for no abs or tcs in my car, i like the feel of being in control, not the car.

In case you are curious what happens when you do the 50mph stop without abs, basically the same thing, the wheels didnt lock up at all, but it was a hair raising (back end moving) stop.

I opted for no ABS on my current car and I had a hard time not locking the front wheels on a panic stop. Maybe that is because the focus carries 63% of its weight up there. Plus traction control will be nice come winter here in Wisconsin. It's like power windows, I could get the job done without, but it's more convenient this way.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that the brakes on the Mustang are not powerful enough to lock up the wheels in a full panic stop. I actually find that very disturbing. Not to cut you down or anything, but are you sure you were pressing on the brakes as hard as possible?
Old 5/4/05, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AWmustang@May 2, 2005, 11:46 AM
(Other parts of the mustang manual refer to a moonroof, and the rear power window lockout button, neither of which are available on the car.)
I did a search of the manual and didn't find anything about a moon roof and the only thing referring to the rear power window is valid. Could you reference the pages that you found the errors on?
Old 5/4/05, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by AWmustang+May 4, 2005, 7:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ May 4, 2005, 7:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fazm@May 3, 2005, 2:24 PM

I opted for no ABS on my current car and I had a hard time not locking the front wheels on a panic stop. Maybe that is because the focus carries 63% of its weight up there. Plus traction control will be nice come winter here in Wisconsin. It's like power windows, I could get the job done without, but it's more convenient this way.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that the brakes on the Mustang are not powerful enough to lock up the wheels in a full panic stop. I actually find that very disturbing. Not to cut you down or anything, but are you sure you were pressing on the brakes as hard as possible?
[/b][/quote]

Yup, I stabbed them pretty hard. You can hear the tires putting alot of stopping force on the road, but there is a pulsating sensation coming out of the pedal from the ABS. I did not hear the tires sliding by any means, but today I went out to look, and there are some tire marks. Unlike the normal lockup where the mark is just a smear of sliding rubber, these were tread-marks, similiar to a very hard turn. Did I get that out for anyone to understand? Very hard to explain.
Old 5/4/05, 09:55 PM
Cobra R Member

I never said i smashed on the pedal, just a hard stop. Ill let you know what happens when i smash on the pedal, when that time comes that i need to. Until then i like my tires

EDIT: And by hard stop i mean about 85% braking force.
Old 5/5/05, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 4, 2005, 9:58 PM
I never said i smashed on the pedal, just a hard stop. Ill let you know what happens when i smash on the pedal, when that time comes that i need to. Until then i like my tires

Ok... that makes more sense. Good point about the tires too, they are pricey to replace.

holderca1 -- rear window lockout switch, see page 9
moonroof, see page 27

I will grant you that these were not entire sections as the brake assist was, so one may argue that my comparison was a bit flawed. Nevertheless they were in the manual for a car that doesn't have them, so it led me to be suspicious about other things in the manual.
Old 5/5/05, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by AWmustang@May 5, 2005, 7:04 AM
rear window lockout switch, see page 9
moonroof, see page 27

Page 9 of the owners manual just looks like a general list of all symbols used and is probably the same in all Ford owners manuals.

The part about accessory delay on page 27 looks like the same deal, but does say (if equipped) after moon roof.
Old 5/5/05, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by AWmustang+May 5, 2005, 7:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ May 5, 2005, 7:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fazm@May 4, 2005, 9:58 PM

Ok... that makes more sense. Good point about the tires too, they are pricey to replace.

moonroof, see page 27

I will grant you that these were not entire sections as the brake assist was, so one may argue that my comparison was a bit flawed. Nevertheless they were in the manual for a car that doesn't have them, so it led me to be suspicious about other things in the manual.
[/b][/quote]

And on the topic of stuff in manual tat car doesn't have, I would like to see if I can get the DRLs that the Canadian version has, to work on mine.....

And I was NOT offered that Moonroof :scratch:
Old 5/5/05, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by openminds+May 5, 2005, 7:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(openminds @ May 5, 2005, 7:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AWmustang@May 5, 2005, 7:04 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fazm
@May 4, 2005, 9:58 PM

moonroof, see page 27

And on the topic of stuff in manual tat car doesn't have, I would like to see if I can get the DRLs that the Canadian version has, to work on mine.....

And I was NOT offered that Moonroof :scratch:
[/b][/quote]
I will cut a hole in your roof for you free of charge.
Old 5/5/05, 01:57 PM
GT Member

:bang:

For those of you who have never had ABS or if you are reluctant to get ABS:

ABS IS the one of the most amazing things, one of the sefest things you can have in a car.

ABS creates "rolling friction" that is, the tires keep spinning ant the minimum speed to still steer. locked wheels do NOT steer.

Yup, it feels funny, but LOCKED WHEELS DO NOT STOP FASTER.

If you really want to try it out, find an open road, get it up to about 80 MPH and slam on the brakes. NO, I do not mean hit them hard, I mean push the freakin petal through the floor like you are about to go off a 10,000 foot cliff......put a dent in the floorboard like you would in a panic. Put your foot through the floorboard!

Now, do the same in the rain.

Now, do both in a non-ABS car and see if you can stay on the road. Try steering left and right to avoid an object.

You will never realize the benefits of ABS until you test it, and I maen test it to it's maximum. I have done this at 115 MPH and it is amazing how fast and CONTROLLED you can stop.

I would never buy a car without it.
Old 5/6/05, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Snets@May 5, 2005, 2:00 PM
:bang:

For those of you who have never had ABS or if you are reluctant to get ABS:

ABS IS the one of the most amazing things, one of the sefest things you can have in a car.

ABS creates "rolling friction" that is, the tires keep spinning ant the minimum speed to still steer. locked wheels do NOT steer.

Yup, it feels funny, but LOCKED WHEELS DO NOT STOP FASTER.

If you really want to try it out, find an open road, get it up to about 80 MPH and slam on the brakes. NO, I do not mean hit them hard, I mean push the freakin petal through the floor like you are about to go off a 10,000 foot cliff......put a dent in the floorboard like you would in a panic. Put your foot through the floorboard!

Now, do the same in the rain.

Now, do both in a non-ABS car and see if you can stay on the road. Try steering left and right to avoid an object.

You will never realize the benefits of ABS until you test it, and I maen test it to it's maximum. I have done this at 115 MPH and it is amazing how fast and CONTROLLED you can stop.

I would never buy a car without it.

I see your car was built this week. Congrats. I have 17 inch OEM Bullits from EBAY waiting for my car to arrive as well, though mine are in the dining room. Much to the annoyment of my roomate, but we don't have a garage to put them in.