V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

BamaChips Dyno of a ASP pulley..and AEM intake

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/05, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys,

Well I went to the dyno today to develope a tune for the AEM intake and to see what gains could be had from the UDP.

With the stock program and the AEM air intake we made nothing more then stock. The graph lines were almost exactly the same, although the a/f was rich at around 11.8-12.2:1 at WOT.

With the AEm and my 87 program we made nothing more then with my normal 87 program, 5rwhp and 7rwtq, and that was with the a/f ratio corrected to 12.7-13.0.

Next we bolted the ASP pulley on, we made about 4rwhp and 6rwtq accross the board with the stock tune. No tune is really needed with the pulley.

The gains will probably be higher on a manual car because of less drivetrain loss but we'll have to see. The installation was pretty straight foward though.

Larry, the Stang I use for testing, had a few other concerns with the pulley though like increased steering effort at low speeds but I dont think it was that bad. I've let him use it for a few weeks so we can get some true feedback on not only the horsepower gains but on the daily driving habits as well.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 12/31/05, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Cool, thanks doug. Dissapointing results for the aem intake though (cant say i didnt expect it lol).

UPD is nice easy gains, i like that.
Old 12/31/05, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I'm glad I went with the C&L!

And, it looks like ASP's dyno is full o' ....let's just say their advertised 12 hp/16 tq increase is a bit of an exageration.
Old 1/1/06, 05:37 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the info, Doug...

This pretty much confirms my guess... When the car is sitting on a dyno, with the A/C off and your not turning the steer wheel you get the most gain by slowing down the alternator... We seen a 3 to 5 RWHP gain with the PHP Alternator pulley... Adding the ASP pulley showed no real gain since there was no load on the A/C or P/S pump and the alternator had already been slowed way down... make sense to anyone else?

I think I'll keep the ASP pulley on since it is a hassle to take off... but I guess i'll get the satisfaction of knowing I'll have perhaps a little more power going through turns with my A/C on! LOL!!!

I think if you want 3 to 5 RWHP gain than the PHP alternator pulley could be a better deal...

OK... just got home from a little drive in the car... roads were still wet so I can't tell anything off the line... but I did a bunch of slow speed turns and manuvers... Also a did a number of pulling in and out of parking spots and the power steering seems to be unaffected...
Old 1/1/06, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmm many thanks to you guys for the valuable time and testing.. seems the ASP pullies are a huge let down.. real bummer; especially for the price. =( Now we know..
Old 1/1/06, 02:06 PM
Cobra R Member

any news on when PHP's alternator pulley is out? cuz i really want one lol.
Old 1/1/06, 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 1, 2006, 4:09 PM
any news on when PHP's alternator pulley is out? cuz i really want one lol.

Been out for a while... I've had my for a few weeks... here's the dyno sheet from my testing:

BTW, the included belt is long enough to run the A/C...

Right now however the pully and belt is setting in my trunk...
Old 1/1/06, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Scrming, I have the mule Doug's been using, Yes the reduction in PS effect is minimal at best, but I did notice it at low speed. The other thing I noted was a slight dimming of the headlights when the car is placed in drive. Wouldn't be a problem on a manual equipped car. On the positive side it did produce a Hp and torque gain, not as much as stated by ASP, but was their test done on an automatic or manual equipped car? As we have seen the automatic equipped car doesn't respond as well to tunes/mods as the manual does. I have noticed one other thing with my car (since Doug is letting me drive the UDP for a while) my engine seems to accelerate very quickly, the car doesn't lose RPM as readily either when pulling hills, can't say for sure that this a caused by the UDP or not, I'll be able to tell when Doug and I pull it off. Whether or not the ASP UDP is worth the money for automatic owners given the minimal hp/torque increase will of course be an individual call. On the other hand it's a quick mod ( 20 minutes) and it does enhance the seat of the pants feel( for me anyway). Now just for the record I have a stock car only change is Doug's 87 tune, so other owners my feel something more.....who knows
Old 1/1/06, 03:05 PM
Cobra R Member

scrming i havent seen it on his site yet, so i didnt think it was officially released.
Old 1/1/06, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05V6@January 1, 2006, 4:54 PM
Scrming, I have the mule Doug's been using, Yes the reduction in PS effect is minimal at best, but I did notice it at low speed. The other thing I noted was a slight dimming of the headlights when the car is placed in drive. Wouldn't be a problem on a manual equipped car. On the positive side it did produce a Hp and torque gain, not as much as stated by ASP, but was their test done on an automatic or manual equipped car? As we have seen the automatic equipped car doesn't respond as well to tunes/mods as the manual does. I have noticed one other thing with my car (since Doug is letting me drive the UDP for a while) my engine seems to accelerate very quickly, the car doesn't lose RPM as readily either when pulling hills, can't say for sure that this a caused by the UDP or not, I'll be able to tell when Doug and I pull it off. Whether or not the ASP UDP is worth the money for automatic owners given the minimal hp/torque increase will of course be an individual call. On the other hand it's a quick mod ( 20 minutes) and it does enhance the seat of the pants feel( for me anyway). Now just for the record I have a stock car only change is Doug's 87 tune, so other owners my feel something more.....who knows
ASP's graphs were with an automatic (the tell tale convertor lock-up spike).

I've also got the automatic... To me it appears the alternator pulley swap gives you about the same results, without out affecting the P/S... the alternator pully is also only $159 and is a 5 minute job...

I wish we had done a back to back test of the pulley... because then I would be a more vocal here... so for now I'll just say I'm disappointed with the ASP... and leave it at that... Doug showed that in back to back test it's only good for 4RWHP... I'll let everyone make up their minds... LOL!
Old 1/1/06, 03:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 1, 2006, 5:08 PM
scrming i havent seen it on his site yet, so i didnt think it was officially released.
Lot of these small shops don't update their websites all the time... I find that if someone doesn't have something on their website it's best to call... which is what I did... I called them (PHP) and they shipped it the next day...

Now if you're interested in taking mine off my hands for a reduced price send me a PM... LOL
Old 1/1/06, 03:29 PM
Cobra R Member

is that graph with the a/c bypassed or with the a/c not bypassed?
Old 1/1/06, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@January 1, 2006, 5:32 PM
is that graph with the a/c bypassed or with the a/c not bypassed?
That is with the A/C NOT bypassed... Only thing that changed between runs was the alternator pulley was swapped.. These were back to back runs..
Old 1/1/06, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by scrming@January 1, 2006, 4:20 PM
ASP's graphs were with an automatic (the tell tale convertor lock-up spike).

I've also got the automatic... To me it appears the alternator pulley swap gives you about the same results, without out affecting the P/S... the alternator pully is also only $159 and is a 5 minute job...

I wish we had done a back to back test of the pulley... because then I would be a more vocal here... so for now I'll just say I'm disappointed with the ASP... and leave it at that... Doug showed that in back to back test it's only good for 4RWHP... I'll let everyone make up their minds... LOL!
Good Point, didn't notice the spike on their dyno sheet. Well, since neither of us came close to their numbers, I'll have to agree the Alt pulley swap looks like a better value. However, it does feel like the engine spools up faster with the ASP pulley installed, no data to support that claim ....worth 3 bills I quess if you're about squeezing every Hp out of the 4.0 you do what you have to.