V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

5 Speed Auto

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of all it's FREE. Thanks for the tip. B)
Old 1/20/05, 07:21 PM

This is also very adjustable with a SCT tune. They can adjust many Trans & Engine parameters including adaptive learning rate, shift points, part throttle and WOT response, pedal senativity, etc, etc...
Old 1/20/05, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by gordonmaupin@January 20, 2005, 7:45 PM
I've seen posts about the V6 5Speed Auto and "Tip-In". If I understand, the complaint is about how far the pedal has to be depressed for the car to down shift and begin to accelerate. Ford says nothing in the manual, but on the CD that comes with the car it mentions that the transmission is "adaptive". This is because there is no is kick-down on the gas pedal because there is no throttle cable. The disk informs you that if the battery is disconnected the transmissions will have to relearn you driving habits.

This means break the car in, disconnect the battery, then take the car out and run the heck out of it for an hour or so. It worked for me. The transmission holds shift points to a much higher RPM then when I brought it home and it downshifts with only about a third of the throttle travel than before.

It might work for you.
My use of tip-in hesitation is the hesitation one would get after rolling through a stop sign and then steping on the gas slightly. The car kind of does nothing then lurches. No kick down needed at 3 miles an hour. I think the problem I have is the drive by wire. I however really like the idea of reseting the trans after breakin. I think I will give it a try just to keep it out of overdrive at 25...
Doug
Old 1/26/05, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great tip thanks! Is the info on the CD downloadable anywhere?
Old 1/27/05, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Be aware the OBD II system will register a battery disconnect code. No big deal but worth knowing. The 5R55S is a great transmission. Tip in is a term that relates the angle of the throttle body or carb plate and the amount of pressure on the accelerator to make it occur. I have found the overdrive engagement at low speeds to be annoying. Thank goodness for the OD on/off button.
Old 1/27/05, 10:55 AM

My use of tip-in hesitation is the hesitation one would get after rolling through a stop sign and then steping on the gas slightly. The car kind of does nothing then lurches. No kick down needed at 3 miles an hour. I think the problem I have is the drive by wire. I however really like the idea of reseting the trans after breakin. I think I will give it a try just to keep it out of overdrive at 25...
Doug
[/quote]

I tried to start a discussion on this topic under V6 Problems-engine hesitation but not much interest. See the following where there are a few comments.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=11051
Old 1/28/05, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Just a note on this problem:
I put some serious miles on my automobiles thanks to where I live. I baught my car 12/2/04, and since then (mostly thanks to the holidays), I put almost 6500 miles on my V6 5 speed auto. Now, I DID notice the hesitation very early on , but the more I drove the car, the more it disapeared, until now I do not notice it at all. She is smooth and fine tuned.

I think the tranny takes a while to learn your style, and the most important thing to remember is that most of us (being enthusiasts) actually babied our cars through at least the first 1k. The car learned your style for 1k, and now you have to teach it differently. Just be patient... like a parent teaching a child.

Your cars will all learn what they need to know in due time. I also noticed that as it has learned my style, it is MUCH more fun to drive and MUCH smoother on acceleration. I really enjoy the fact that the tranny feels like it knows EXACTLY where I want it to shift. There are only a few times where I miss the mark I set to have it down shift.

Just be patient. Your cars will settle down. There's no need to worry about making adjustments, pulling battery cables, etc. Resetting it is a VERY clever idea If it's a huge problem for you, but just know that the tranny WILL learn your style in time, and if you wait, it will adjust itself.
Old 1/31/05, 12:08 AM
V6 Member

Does this stuff apply to the 5-Speed Auto on the GT? If not, is there a similar feature or is the link between pedal and car completely different?
Old 1/31/05, 04:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by canyoumatrix@January 31, 2005, 1:11 AM
Does this stuff apply to the 5-Speed Auto on the GT? If not, is there a similar feature or is the link between pedal and car completely different?
I would assume so since the automatic transmision in the GT and V6 are the same.
Old 3/4/05, 01:13 PM

Well, I have 15,000 miles now and I am still having the hesitation problem. This is getting very aggrevating and kind of embarrasing. I rolled up to a four way stop on the highway yesterday and made it before the two other cars. So when I went to take off, yep, there it was again. I am sure the stinkin Trans Am and the Dodge Ram had a nice chuckle. Anyone know if Ford is working on this? I have heard very little in the Forum about this.
Old 3/26/05, 09:14 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by AZ_05STANG@March 4, 2005, 2:16 PM
Well, I have 15,000 miles now and I am still having the hesitation problem. This is getting very aggrevating and kind of embarrasing. I rolled up to a four way stop on the highway yesterday and made it before the two other cars. So when I went to take off, yep, there it was again. I am sure the stinkin Trans Am and the Dodge Ram had a nice chuckle. Anyone know if Ford is working on this? I have heard very little in the Forum about this.
I think its more than an embarrasment ...it could be dangerous and I think Ford should address this problem. It happened to me approx. 5 times while I was traveling on my vacation.
Old 4/14/05, 09:35 AM
GT Member

Regarding this topic I have the same problem. I almost got broadsided the other day because of it. My wife just about my hiney! I hate it when it does this crap.

Another problem I have, I don't know if any of you have the same, is when running down the freeway at say 65 mph and want to engage passing gear, I'll get on it and the engine revs (I call it winding up) to really high RPM's (hesitate) and passing gear will finally kick in. Will the battery disconnect fix this problem??