V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

4.3L V6

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/06, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@

I believe the 4.6 is a strong motor and power and TQ is good in stock trim, its just a weak motor to build up vs. other performace V8's from automakers Ford needed to drop in a better built engine in the Mustang GT IMO.
Old 1/12/06, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@January 12, 2006, 1:13 PM
The current 4.6L 3V found in the GT was built using rods which were designed for no more than 400RWHP safely..

This was a calculated move on Fords part mostly to save money possibly..

The 4.6L as an engine is very strong.. But its only as strong as its weakest component, which just happens to be the rods..

This is the only reason the current GT engine is rated safe at 400RWHP.. Thats it.. If someone were to take a new 3v 4.6L and install new rods, they could make more power safely..

Actually, the debate bothers me somewhat.. Somehow we have all confused what makes a good street car, as opposed to a track car.. Somehow, we are going to have to make a distinction between the 2.. A good track car has numerous things about it which are quite different from a street car...

A 400HP street car, is not as fast as a 400HP track car.. This should be understood by all.. The problem around here is, some guys talk about street satisfaction, then get bashed from guys who are more goal oriented with track satisfaction...

Guys we have to make a distinction, and stick to it.. We cant keep going on like this.. It makes it hard for those not in our circle to keep up.. It makes it seem like we are all screwed up... LOL!!

I agree, that is why I mentioned what is our goal here and specified mine. We should all agree on which aspect we are investiaging.
Old 1/12/06, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Comon guys. Alot of what Im reading as "fact", is in fact just opinion.

No way, I will say it again, no way that any of you will run a 12psi blower on a daily driver without beefing up the internals.

Rods, pistons, head bolts, head gaskets, main bolts/caps, all those things dont have anywhere near that kind of a safety margin in a stock 220hp engine.

12psi puts a termendous amount of pressure in a cylinder. High pressure seeks low pressure, something is going to give. Its going up or down, which ever way is easier.

I commend you all for seeking ways to increase hp, but these threads tend to get a bit far fetched.

Im impressed with my 4.0, but lets face it, we are giving up 2 cylinders and .6 or 1 litre to the previous GTs, dollar for dollar we still cant compete.

My 88 GT manual had a catback, intake, mass air, gears, and tuning. About $1200 in mods. No way is my 4.0 or any other I have seen on these boards so far anywhere near as quick as that car with only $1200, call it $2000 in todays dollars, in mods.

Keep the ideas coming, but no one is going to slap a 12psi blower on a 4.0 and have an instant 400rwhp.

heck for what it costs to get 400rwhp, I may as well trade up to a 04 Cobra or a 06GT, it would be cheaper.

Im not bashing anyone here, so dont take offense, Im just trying to put a little reality into this madhouse.
Old 1/12/06, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

BurntPony
No way, I will say it again, no way that any of you will run a 12psi blower on a daily driver without beefing up the internals.
Burnt who has said they are going to run 12PSI here or for that matter on stock internals?

Maybe MSP mention something but I don't remeber if he was going beefed up, I am only looking at 6psi fo myself.
Old 1/12/06, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

BurntPony
Burnt who has said they are going to run 12PSI here or for that matter on stock internals?

Maybe MSP mention something but I don't remeber if he was going beefed up, I am only looking at 6psi fo myself.
Old 1/12/06, 11:43 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
I agree, that is why I mentioned what is our goal here and specified mine. We should all agree on which aspect we are investiaging.

Yes, I guess what I was trying to say is this... What is our goal as a community?

I can remember in the early days, success was measured on the ability for us as V6'ers to run toe-to-toe with a stock GT... Perhaps alittle faster.. This would place us at 300RWHP... This was accepted as a good set of circumstances.. I think its about a 13.5 to 13.6 is what we all wanted to be able to do...

Scrming was the first to achieve this with a 13.4.. Now we have moved up the bar on ourselves and have placed the true meaning of success at 400RWHP... Ok, but this means for the street or track..? For me it means, using the stock 7.5 axle girdled...

So if I were to race a GT which also has 400RWHP, I would expect to lose, because it is granted that he would be launching at 3500RPM, and I would have to launch at 2500RPM..

My goal has always been to run somewhere around 11.5ET.. My only problem is, my goal is alittle conflicted with part of my setup which is the rear-end.. So I think... I dont know guys... To be honest, I'll be happy never making any runs at the track... I love my car, and really dont want to risk hurting it.. Whether it be the engine, clutch, transmission, or the rear-end...

I am guilty as well of crossing the lines between street and strip.. Its real easy to do..

My focus in the very short term is to just out perform a stock Mustang GT.. When I can prove I can do this, I will concentrate on the next level, which is beating a slightly modded GT.. After that, set my sights on 400RWHP...

I know we all desire the same thing, I just dont want to blow up an engine to get there.. Or blow out the spiders in my 7.5 rear-end.. LOL!!

We will see.. But for now, I will focus on a stock GT.. For now, I will try and atleast get to a 13.4 like Scrming.. Once I'm there, the knowledge of what my next move should be will be more clear..
Old 1/12/06, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@January 12, 2006, 1:40 PM
So what does this mean RaginStormlocke? This means that we must figure out what it takes, besides running 12PSi on a daily basis to run reliable @ 400RWHP... Part of this equation will relate to the need to install headers... Cams, heads?

Or could it be, that we can just simply run about 12psi everyday..? Now granted the only problem is the use of 104 octane race fuel Mike used... We cant run that everyday.. However, I feel with atleast headers and cams, we can safely run pretty close to 400rwhp on a daily basis...

So much still to learn about our lil 4.0's.. LOL!! I guess it is going to be important that I get the headers soon... Most seem to like the JBA.. They are the street legal version... I guess the part which is important is that I must use only CA legal parts... Afterall, a GT can run 400RWHP and still remain legal... Very interesting swing in the debate for us...

Getting to 400RWHP legally, and running reliably... This shall be my new focus.. Can it be done?
The nice thing about the turbo is that, if you wanted, you could run at 6 or 9PSI and then crank it up to 12PSI for the track. And it's a fairly easy adjustment I believe. That being said, I don't believe 12PSI is really safe for the 4.0. I'm not being negative here, just realistic. We know that Mike took the car to the track at least once and ran it on the dyno at least once at 12PSI. I may be wrong here, but Mike hasn't said anything else since he ran 11s. Maybe he runs it at 12PSI all the time, maybe he hasn't done it since. We just don't know. Hopefully he'll say more when the turbo is released.
Old 1/12/06, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Rygn
I am also aware that our V6's, the 4.0 version of the engine started thier lives in Explorers and Rangers.

Rygn
LOL!!! this is to fuuny.

I hate when people do that to me, when guys tell me something I already know they know I know it from prior disscussions but yet they tell me like I didn't know that.

I just did it to you! LOL
Old 1/12/06, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by TJ06@January 12, 2006, 2:33 PM
Rygn
LOL!!! this is to fuuny.
I hate when people do that to me, when guys tell me something I already know they know I know it from prior disscussions but yet they tell me like I didn't know that.

I just did it to you! LOL

It's all good man, the group we have here is great. Besides, this thread is 5 pages long!!!!

LOL.
Old 1/12/06, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

BurntPony
Most of us here preface our repsonses with words such as "opinion," "pure conjecture," and "I believe." Others say things such as, "I'm no expert but...." or "My experience lies in another area.." or "According to XXX from YYY.."

My 88 GT manual had a catback, intake, mass air, gears, and tuning. About $1200 in mods. No way is my 4.0 or any other I have seen on these boards so far anywhere near as quick as that car with only $1200, call it $2000 in todays dollars, in mods.
A 1988 GT is a 5.0!!! Not a surprise that a few mods will make her scream...

I commend you all for seeking ways to increase hp, but these threads tend to get a bit far fetched.
We are exchanging ideas, mostly. Not many facts in this area yet, as everything is so new. We have to dream big and shoot high, so even missing the mark we have gone farther than we would have by being reasonable. Boundaries have always been pushed by unreasonable men

Not trying to single you out, BurntPony, you have a lot of good points. A voice of reason in these forums is necessary and welcome. These discussions usually build up, get unrealistic, and then cycle down. It is like brainstorming, where we throw a lot of stuff out there at once, the good and the bad, the reasonable, and unresonable, and see what sticks. If we didn't allow the unrealistic part, we would discourage the free flow of ideas and lose the good ideas along with the bad.

But that is just my opinion!!!
Old 1/12/06, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Ok... I will deny ever having said this... LOL!

Lidio and Mike BOTH popped motors because they GOT GREEDY!!!

You will find a number my posts where I have stated my mantra: " I will not get greedy! I will not get greedy! I WILL NOT GET GREEDY!"

Both of these guys, who I have the utmost respect for, where at major racing events and with their very competitive nature simply pushed to hard when they knew better! They felt they really need to make a showing... They had their goals and they weren't going to let anything get in their way!!!

For Lidio, it was bad race fuel... He actually took some gas to a lab in Livionia... basically said the octane was not as high as it was supposed to be... On the track Lidio heard the detonation but instead of packing it up for the day, he pulled a little timing and ran again... Still detonating but he was determine to hit his goal and didn't let off the pedal... which resulted in popping a piston...

Yes, Lidio is very conserative when it comes to his customers cars! Heck he let off the gas in MY car when he heard the Grand Prix in the next lane pinging just because he thought there was a very remote change it was my car pinging! He's the same way at the shop...Very very safe! But on the track he will absolutely push his own vehicles to they break!

Now for Mike... Same kind of thing... Big event... The pressure was really on for big showing! Unfortunately the pressure was also on the Zex bottle too! The bottle pressure was 1200PSI... made a pass with a very agressive tune and popped a piston!

So both of these guy a hardcore and will push and push until things break! At a big even having a good showing is not an option, it's a MUST!

Not the other thing about Lidio's car is the best run so far is an 11.23... with about 475RWHP (no idea on TQ, sorry)... Now here's the kicker!! That's on STREET TIRES!!! I was there.. I seen it! LOL! And 11.23 on a run where he walked the car out! LOL!

phwew... ok... long post... sorry... LOL!
Old 1/12/06, 03:16 PM
MSP
Banned

My hat definatley goes off to both Mike and Lidio... They are out there doing what we talk about.. Scrming has actually been there so I have a great respect for him...

The bottom line is, all of us can talk about it, but putting your motor on the line and going out there to do it, is another story.. I will admit, I talk alot of smack to get everyone fired up, but I honestly know it takes alot more guts to force your motor to drag your car down that lane, when you have everything invested in it..

We all wont know until its our turn to pull the trigger on a car we need to drive to work on the following Monday.. Its a tough pill to swallow...

I say we stick to 300RWHP for now, until we know more about our engines.. This summer should yield more info.. Hopefully we all make through this summer in one piece.. Hopefully we will all sit down later on in the year and talk about things which are more realistic for our cars, with all of our cars intact.. The last thing I want to see is someone talking about how Ford is not willing to replace the engine because of this or that.. LOL!!

But I think we all know this already... Personally I like the short term goal of chasing after stock GT's.. Lord knows chasing GT's with any kind of aftermarket mods is going to get dicey! Let the GT guys have their thrown for awhile.. We will race in our meager 300RWHP and below world, until the dust settles..
Old 1/12/06, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought you guys already new about the Lidio's car didn't know it was breaking news, you guys find out things within hours it seems like.
Old 1/12/06, 04:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 12, 2006, 5:19 PM
My hat definatley goes off to both Mike and Lidio... They are out there doing what we talk about.. Scrming has actually been there so I have a great respect for him...

The bottom line is, all of us can talk about it, but putting your motor on the line and going out there to do it, is another story.. I will admit, I talk alot of smack to get everyone fired up, but I honestly know it takes alot more guts to force your motor to drag your car down that lane, when you have everything invested in it..

We all wont know until its our turn to pull the trigger on a car we need to drive to work on the following Monday.. Its a tough pill to swallow...

I say we stick to 300RWHP for now, until we know more about our engines.. This summer should yield more info.. Hopefully we all make through this summer in one piece.. Hopefully we will all sit down later on in the year and talk about things which are more realistic for our cars, with all of our cars intact.. The last thing I want to see is someone talking about how Ford is not willing to replace the engine because of this or that.. LOL!!

But I think we all know this already... Personally I like the short term goal of chasing after stock GT's.. Lord knows chasing GT's with any kind of aftermarket mods is going to get dicey! Let the GT guys have their thrown for awhile.. We will race in our meager 300RWHP and below world, until the dust settles..

Yeah, I'm kind of at the crossroads right now.... It was 55 and Sunny here today (should be 30 and snowing here!!!) So I took the car out for a spin... To be perfectly honest my car has enough guts to get me in enough trouble around town... I really don't need more HP... Yeah, it would be cool... but.. do I really need it??? Not really...

Now with a new baby on the way my budget will be very limited and my time will be even more limited... so I'm more likely to hit a car show than a race track.. Now I must have done 20 car shows last year... When I first started doing the car show there was really nothing special at all... I've got the feeling this season will be very different! I mean this year I get to say (with a straight face) I'm faster than a stock GT! LOL! My goal was 13.5 and the car has done that! Like I mentioned it the other thread... I must not get greedy! I've got my trophy timeslip... now move on... LOL!

So now, here in the middle of winter.. with 2 or 3 months to go before the car show season starts I'm thinking less about performance mods and more about dress up stuff... Got my eye on a couple of things... LOL!

I'll still take the car down the strip... no doubt about that... But I really think I'm at my own personal comfort level... I keep saying I'm going to put on DRs... but I don't know if I really have the nerve to pull the trigger...

So for now I think I'll stay at this level... and just have fun... pass the torch on to one of you guys! LOL!
Old 1/12/06, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by scrming@January 12, 2006, 6:41 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of at the crossroads right now.... It was 55 and Sunny here today (should be 30 and snowing here!!!) So I took the car out for a spin... To be perfectly honest my car has enough guts to get me in enough trouble around town... I really don't need more HP... Yeah, it would be cool... but.. do I really need it??? Not really...

Now with a new baby on the way my budget will be very limited and my time will be even more limited... so I'm more likely to hit a car show than a race track.. Now I must have done 20 car shows last year... When I first started doing the car show there was really nothing special at all... I've got the feeling this season will be very different! I mean this year I get to say (with a straight face) I'm faster than a stock GT! LOL! My goal was 13.5 and the car has done that! Like I mentioned it the other thread... I must not get greedy! I've got my trophy timeslip... now move on... LOL!

So now, here in the middle of winter.. with 2 or 3 months to go before the car show season starts I'm thinking less about performance mods and more about dress up stuff... Got my eye on a couple of things... LOL!

I'll still take the car down the strip... no doubt about that... But I really think I'm at my own personal comfort level... I keep saying I'm going to put on DRs... but I don't know if I really have the nerve to pull the trigger...
So for now I think I'll stay at this level... and just have fun... pass the torch on to one of you guys! LOL!

Cool!!!! Now I can catch up in the arms race.

By the way, I'm not buying it. You are just trying to convince yourself you won't get the DR's or won't do any more upgrades because you want to save some cash.

Yea, there was the day after I ordered the Zex...thinking sure, this is all I need. Five minutes later I was thinking about what I want, SC or TC.

But really, good luck. No really, good luck.
Old 1/12/06, 04:59 PM

But, despite what I say, I do get the family first thing. My children and family come first, even before the stang. LOL.
Old 1/13/06, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Tom from SSM said that the Stroker Kit and Heads would be good for 300 RWHP NA because of their current 211/211 cam.
Old 1/13/06, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Ahhh, a little reality.

I toss the mod coin every couple days or so myself. We invest alot of our disposable income into retirement accounts. Im not into my car so much that Im willing to play today and forfit a comfortable lifestyle in my later years, which BTW arent that far off.

This morning I read the Feb 06 issue of Mustang Monthly. There are some super nice, bone stock 60s Stangs featured. I ask myself "what if". What if I bought a 85GT, the last of the carby Mustangs. What if I babied it and kept it bone stock-ish. Today, 20 years later, I would have a great criuser/car show Mustang to enjoy.

My car has GT bumpers, sways, wheels, tint, leather seats . I may do nothing else except maintain it. Im only putting about 300-500 miles a month on her anyway.

Since I like to tinker, Im looking for a second project Stang. Maybe a 4.0 into a 2.3 Fox, in the next year or so, the 4.0s will start hitting the salvage yards. I can flog the heck out of that, and not feel to bad.

I dont know alot about supercharging. I do know that increasing pressure by 6-9-12 psi can have explosive results. I used to pressure test tanks, anywhere from 1 gallon up to 1500 gallons. We filled the tanks to a maximum of 3 psi, then capped them off for 10 minutes and watched a pressure gauge to see if they had any leaks.

Once a new guy screwed up and inflated a 500 gallon tank to 6 psi. The tank had a manhole cover held on by 15, 1/2 inch swing bolts. Grade 5. The pressure in the tank stripped the threads off all 15 bolts and blew the cover clean off.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the pressures involved in supercharging. I do know it gave me a new respect for air pressure.
Old 1/13/06, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

TYom at SSM had this to say about the stoker kit (Just in case anyone was still interested).

Q: Is this a kit or a completely new engine? Would I just get the parts and have my mechanics here install it, or do I need to take out the engine and get a whole new one? Thanks!

A: We'll probably offer it both ways.

I am sking if that changes the price that he quoted.

If it does..... :scratch:
Old 9/18/06, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Hahah, hate to bring up an old thread... but I had to reply to this even though it's months old...

It's all in the tune...

Originally Posted by BurntPony

Rods, pistons, head bolts, head gaskets, main bolts/caps, all those things dont have anywhere near that kind of a safety margin in a stock 220hp engine.

12psi puts a termendous amount of pressure in a cylinder. High pressure seeks low pressure, something is going to give. Its going up or down, which ever way is easier.

Im impressed with my 4.0, but lets face it, we are giving up 2 cylinders and .6 or 1 litre to the previous GTs, dollar for dollar we still cant compete.

Keep the ideas coming, but no one is going to slap a 12psi blower on a 4.0 and have an instant 400rwhp.

heck for what it costs to get 400rwhp, I may as well trade up to a 04 Cobra or a 06GT, it would be cheaper.

Im not bashing anyone here, so dont take offense, Im just trying to put a little reality into this madhouse.

Quick Reply: 4.3L V6