V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

4.3L V6

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poking around on SSM again and was surprised by the following:

They have a 3.8L engine stroked to 4.3L that is running in the 10's with a 125 shot of nitrous. It makes 278 RWHP NA.

If an old 3.8 can get into the 10's, so can we. Yes, it would be expensive, but a 4.0 stroked to 4.4/4.5 at 10.3 CR running a 150 shot of nitrous would be wicked fast. AND driveable daily at around 300 RWHP.

However, that would take a level of commitment I do not think I am ready for.

BUT if someone was willing to shell out $5K for the Stage 3 heads, billet crank, forged rods, and forged pistons, an extra $1,000 for the complete Zex kit, and a couple of grand in labor and tuning, you might be looking at a 10 second pony...

Does anyone have any other ideas for getting into the 10's? or 9's?
Old 1/11/06, 01:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Excepcion13
Poking around on SSM again and was surprised by the following:

They have a 3.8L engine stroked to 4.3L that is running in the 10's with a 125 shot of nitrous. It makes 278 RWHP NA.

If an old 3.8 can get into the 10's, so can we. Yes, it would be expensive, but a 4.0 stroked to 4.4/4.5 at 10.3 CR running a 150 shot of nitrous would be wicked fast. AND driveable daily at around 300 RWHP.

However, that would take a level of commitment I do not think I am ready for.

BUT if someone was willing to shell out $5K for the Stage 3 heads, billet crank, forged rods, and forged pistons, an extra $1,000 for the complete Zex kit, and a couple of grand in labor and tuning, you might be looking at a 10 second pony...

Does anyone have any other ideas for getting into the 10's? or 9's?
Excepicon 13 keep in mind that is an 88 3.8 (stroker) motor with a single cam push rod ( not a SOHC like the 4.0) engine which can live life in the 6k to 8k RPM range, (along with being poss. striped and gutted) to run 10.65.
Old 1/11/06, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TJ06@January 11, 2006, 4:38 AM
Excepicon 13 keep in mind that is an 88 3.8 (stroker) motor with a single cam push rod ( not a SOHC like the 4.0) engine which can live life in the 6k to 8k RPM range, (along with being poss. striped and gutted) to run 10.65.
Gotcha, thanks! Do you have any idea how much difference going with Stage 3 heads and new pistons would make (besides the difference to my bank account)?
Old 1/11/06, 09:55 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 11, 2006, 8:52 AM
Gotcha, thanks! Do you have any idea how much difference going with Stage 3 heads and new pistons would make (besides the difference to my bank account)?

All we need to break into the 10's, are the Forged and Dished Wiseco pistons... Mike @ Powerhouse has already gotten into the 11.5's with the stock engine setup.. The dished Wiseco forged Pistons would allow you to run more boost, which in turn would heatup the pistons more.. By cooling this off with some type of Aftercooler, or Intercooler along with a Water injection, we could make the 10's... Remember, Mike is at 11.5's with the stock setup.. The Wiseco Pistons by themselves could make up the .5 that is needed to get into the 10's.. We are alot closer to running 10's than most think... In fact, it is more than likley, that a good goal for us is 9's..

The forged and Dished 8.8:1 Wiseco Pistons are our ticket to the bigtime Excepcion13.. Trust me... Thats all you need...
Old 1/11/06, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Excepcion I wasn't sure if you knew that 3.8 stroker was not a SOHC engine like the 4.0 so I was just pointing it out.

I am not the person to talk to about getting a 4.3 stroker NA/nitrous in the 10's other than the basic things I can point to that I see as a problem. I really only know the 4.0 in terms of setting it up for a charger or slight build to go NA.
Old 1/11/06, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TJ06@January 11, 2006, 2:25 PM
Excepcion I wasn't sure if you knew that 3.8 stroker was not a SOHC engine like the 4.0 so I was just pointing it out.

I am not the person to talk to about getting a 4.3 stroker NA/nitrous in the 10's other than the basic things I can point to that I see as a problem. I really only know the 4.0 in terms of setting it up for a charger or slight build to go NA.
I didn't know, man, I am just getting into this stuff. that's why i post stuff and wait for the experts to point out the flaws. It is how I learn. And I value your input, TJ.
Old 1/11/06, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Excepcion13
I didn't know, man, I am just getting into this stuff. that's why i post stuff and wait for the experts to point out the flaws. It is how I learn. And I value your input, TJ.
Thank's

Excep if I could help you I would but I have only built Chevy N/A big blocks this is my first attempt to modified a Ford engine. This is fun getting to know this engine inside and out and researching the pro's and con's of each charger.

I enjoy talking about engines, mods, researching etc and reading the debates you guys have as I learn from you guys also on this 4.0. I think your stroker thread is a good to explore even more about the 4.0 and I love the sub title name stroking Jezebel

The only info I can offer and share on this motor is from my research or from my experience from building and setting up my engines/cars & engine building practices that would cross over and apply to this 4.0.
Old 1/11/06, 12:47 PM
MSP
Banned

Excepcion13

Most of the questions you ask, the answers to which we are all seeking.. At this point, we dont know of a 2005 SOHC 4.0 V6 in which these upgrades have been performed.. So it is not just you who is seeking to learn more info, and characteristics of the motor, we all are...

I can say that Stroking the SOHC 4.0 is indeed the long way around to more performance.. When elvaluating the best way to get HP, you must always consider the time and money which will have to be spent to achieve the objective... Which is why most are focused on power-adders at this point, as opposed to the stroking route...

Stroking the engine will consume more money than simply adding a power adder do to the labor cost invovled in stroking.. Stroking consist of removing the engine from the car and tearing it down which will conume alot of money in itself... As opposeed to a power adder which will only take about 8 to 10 hrs to install..

Most will try to acquire HP the most efficient way possible by way of power-adder...

I can also say, that a Stroked SOHC 4.0 to 4.3L is proabably not the best route to take in the short term, based on the gains acquired once the motors put back in the car, based on the money oltlay which would need to be exchanged to do the stroke..

With all things being equal such as the cam, heads and tune I would say roughly a stroked 4.0L to 4.3L would be about 241HP at the crank with about 275Ft. lbs of torque...

So all things being equal N/A you would be at 241HP and 275Ftlbs of torque.. The only benefit to this would then be the motor itself could handle more boost and shot of nitrous...

So as you can see, a mere stroke in itself is going to consume an awfull lot of money for little performance gain, in which case to make the stroke worth the money spent, you would still need a power-adder of some sort...

Now what you must take from this, is how much stonger HP and torque wise is the stroke going to get you as opposed to someone who just added pistons to the car, which may not necessarily mean pulling the entire engine from the car.. Adding pistons can be done by simply raisng the engine inside the car, and removing the oil pan.. I could be wrong on this.. But for sure its alot less money spent on labor...

In the quarter mile how much faster will the car be? 1 to 2 sec, maybe 3? I doubt 3 secs faster.. In fact I bet the difference would be in the .10ths....

So when looking at the situation in total, I would carefully consider all aspects of setting your mind on stroking the motor.. Put it this way, If my engine is ever removed from the chassis, do you think I would put a SOHC 4.0 back in it, as much as I love the motor? No way, I would look around for a used or rebuilt 2003 Cobra motor, or something similar..

Once the SOHC 4.0 is ever removed from my chassis, I'll wish you all the best of luck, cause it aint ever going back in..
Old 1/11/06, 01:13 PM
MSP
Banned

So here is what my point is.. If I was ever in a situation where I had to remove the motor from the chassis, and Ford said they were not going to pay for it, then I would be on ebay making some phone calls trying to make a deal on shipping...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

I'm just being honest... I am quite sure most of you would do the same thing...

This would be my first call!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-GT-...sspagenameZWDVW

Or perhaps this would be my first very anxious call!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2005-FO...sspagenameZWDVW

LOL!! See what I mean, forget about stroking... I'll do my best with the 4.0... If things work out good, I'll run 10's or 9's.. If I have to swap, well, thats a different story!!
Old 1/11/06, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

MSP,

I agree with you on the logistics and cost of stroking the car. Stroking and refitting IS the long way around. And I am leaning towards simply replacing heads, cams, pistons, when I add an SC. But that decision is for another day.

However, (and don't get mad about this ) I remember a time when you were excited about stroking the 4.0 and you thought that the car would only make 241 at the crank!

SSM says that stroking the motor will get you 280 RWHP, which is anywhere from 330 to 350 BHP. That is almost 100 BHP more than you originally thought.

Add the heads, which SSM say are good for 60HP (they did not specify BHP or RWHP, so we will assume BHP). Combined with the stroker kit, let's estimate 325 RWHP for everything.

Now we are sitting at around 380 BHP w/o nitrous. Now, the math is probably a little fuzzy and the numbers a little inflated and this is all pure conjecture, really. But let's say that with a good tune and new plugs, the stroker/cams/heads etc. put you at 325RWHP NA. You could still spray maybe a 125 HP shot. Maybe more.

IF the numbers I pulled from my bum are even close to factual, that is 400+ RWHP w/o a SC.

I am not talking bang for the buck, I am simply wondering how to make this car the fastest car at the track, capable of beating SC'd and TC'd cars. At this point, it is simply curiosity. I do not have the kind of money, time, or inclination to boast the fastest S197 V6 in the USA! But someone will. Wonder how they will get there... TC and spray, perhaps?
Old 1/11/06, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 11, 2006, 6:12 PM
MSP,

I agree with you on the logistics and cost of stroking the car. Stroking and refitting IS the long way around. And I am leaning towards simply replacing heads, cams, pistons, when I add an SC. But that decision is for another day.

However, (and don't get mad about this ) I remember a time when you were excited about stroking the 4.0 and you thought that the car would only make 241 at the crank!

SSM says that stroking the motor will get you 280 RWHP, which is anywhere from 330 to 350 BHP. That is almost 100 BHP more than you originally thought.

Add the heads, which SSM say are good for 60HP (they did not specify BHP or RWHP, so we will assume BHP). Combined with the stroker kit, let's estimate 325 RWHP for everything.

Now we are sitting at around 380 BHP w/o nitrous. Now, the math is probably a little fuzzy and the numbers a little inflated and this is all pure conjecture, really. But let's say that with a good tune and new plugs, the stroker/cams/heads etc. put you at 325RWHP NA. You could still spray maybe a 125 HP shot. Maybe more.

IF the numbers I pulled from my bum are even close to factual, that is 400+ RWHP w/o a SC.

I am not talking bang for the buck, I am simply wondering how to make this car the fastest car at the track, capable of beating SC'd and TC'd cars. At this point, it is simply curiosity. I do not have the kind of money, time, or inclination to boast the fastest S197 V6 in the USA! But someone will. Wonder how they will get there... TC and spray, perhaps?
Those numbers sound awefully optimistic. I'd like to see an actual 4.0 stroked with the heads and whatnot on an actual dyno making those kind of numbers.
Also, MSP said pretty much the exact same thing as I did several posts ago, he just used more words.
Old 1/11/06, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Execep

That HP rating seems low to me for a stroker with heads and cam's.

I don't know 4.3 strokers but I am curious.

1. They say 60HP w/heads what about the high lift cam's or are they including that in the heads figure?
I would like to know if the 60HP P&P bigger valves comp 3 angle valve job is without the cam's.

2. What about with LT's HP?

3. With a custom tune?

4. What about going 11.0.1?

5. If they not including high lift cams what HP are they say with cam's?

I would think you would be at 425+RWHP without spray or S/C

What RWHP HP is the Mustang 4.3 stroker running 10.65 hitting without spray? This is the vital info you need.

To run 10.65 you would think 550+RWHP min.
Old 1/11/06, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

My take would be to do the power adder... and take the money you save to beef everything else up... I can tell you while Mike's car when in the 12's with a stock motor and tranny there was certainly a lot of stuff underneath the car... I'm not technical enough nor do i remember clearly... but it was there... Getting the HP is only half the battle...
Old 1/11/06, 04:06 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by TJ06@January 11, 2006, 2:42 PM
Execep

That HP rating seems low to me for a stroker with heads and cam's.
I don't know 4.3 strokers but I am curious.
1. They say 60HP w/heads what about the high lift cam's or are they including that in the heads figure?
I would like to know if the 60HP P&P bigger valves comp 3 angle valve job is without the cam's.
2. What about with LT's HP?

3. With a custom tune?

4. What about going 11.0.1?

5. If they not including high lift cams what HP are they say with cam's?

I would think you would be at 425+RWHP without spray or S/C

What RWHP HP is the Mustang 4.3 stroker running 10.65 hitting without spray? This is the vital info you need.

To run 10.65 you would think 550+RWHP min.
Yes, I didnt base it on heads and cams.. This was if all things were equal..

But the same holds true for the 4.0 setup... If you were to add all of that to the 4.0 the differences would be minimal in terms of raw N/A HP...

My point is stroking the car is not in and of itself going to produce anything above and beyond what the engine at 4.0 couldnt already do...

Sure your numbers may look alittle better on the dyno, but as scrming points out, using the money to beef up the surrounding parts is a better solution...

Dont get me wrong, I am all for stroking it, if thats what ones wants to do.. My thing is for the amount of money spent, the only way to be competitive, you would still have to fork out more money... Now if you intend to just use nitrous, then you can save alittle bit, and reap the rewards of the stroker real quick... The stroking situation is normally something people do when they are forced to rebuild there engines... I dont think most guys opt to tear down a good engine just to increase the stroke.... Or if your building a new engine, the stroking option is there as a choice...

But tearing down a new 4.0 to stroke it by .3 is not normal... Yes, you buy a new block, and get it prepped for stroking.. But not remove a good engine, and the strip the block down, and prep it for stroking though... That doesnt happen...

Also, the 3.8L stroker to 4.3L stroker is not the same.. This is due to the more HP and torque which is more prevelant to the 4.0 over the 3.8.. So comparing a 3.8L stroked to 4.3, cant be compared to a 4.0L stroked to 4.3... They are 2 different engines which respond differently to power adders, and stroker...

The 3.8L engine supercharged tops out at about 260HP to the crank.. While the 4.0L supercharged tops out at 350HP to the crank.. This is them both pushing about 8PSI of boost... So as you can see, the 4.0 is a more robust engine...

Now it must be said that the 3.8L block can be used in 550HP situation... We are not sure if the 4.0 can handle this yet... So there are still some things left undiscovered by most...
Old 1/11/06, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Stroked 4.3 estimated

Stroked 280RWHP 10.5:1 is this correct Excep from SSM?
Heads 60RWHP SSM
LT’s 30RWHP Estimated
Cams ?
Custom Tune 15RWHP Estimated
Pully 5RWHP Dyno
_____
Total 390RWHP

Cams 30RWHP Estamated
_________
Total 420RWHP

This is at only 10.5:1 not 11.0:1

Even if we are off shouldn’t be by that much.

Does anyone have MM&FF magazine November 05 and can tell us the RWHP on this car?

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/P...05WriteUp3.pdf

@Jimp/other people

If you think the above numbers are high or SSM numbers are high how is that Mustang running 10.65 on a stroked 4.3 and 125 shot? What RWHP do you think you would need to run 10.65 N/A without the 125 shot? then with the 125 shot?

What am I missing here guys? The TQ produced by the nitrous?
Old 1/11/06, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TJ06@January 11, 2006, 7:45 PM
Stroked 4.3 estimated
Stroked 280RWHP 10.5.1 is this correct Excep from SSM?
Heads 60RWHP SSM
LT’s 30RWHP Estimated
Cams ?
Pully 5RWHP Dyno
_____
Total 390RWHP

Cams 30RWHP Estamated
_________
Total 420RWHP

This is at only 10.5.1 not 11.0.1

Does anyone have MM&FF magazine November 05 and can tell us the RWHP on this car?

@Jimp/other people

If you think the above numbers are high or SSM numbers are high how is that Mustang running 10.65 on a stroked 4.3 and 125 shot? What RWHP do you think you would need to run 10.65 N/A without the 125 shot? then with the 125 shot?

I subscribe to that magazine, unfortunately it is at work. But I will post the numbers from it shortly.
Old 1/11/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

(TJ06 @ January 11, 2006, 7:45 PM)
Stroked 4.3 estimated
Heads 60RWHP SSM
LT’s 30RWHP Estimated
Cams ?
Pully 5RWHP Dyno
_____
Total 390RWHP

Cams 30RWHP Estamated
_________
Total 420RWHP

@Jimp/other people

Rygn
I subscribe to that magazine, unfortunately it is at work. But I will post the numbers from it shortly.
Thanks

Rygn what do you think about the above? and how much RWHP do you think it would take to run 10.65?
Old 1/11/06, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by TJ06@January 11, 2006, 7:57 PM
Thanks

Rygn what do you think about the above? and how much RWHP do you think it would take to run 10.65?
Give me a bit (want to read al the replies first), I havent been keeping up with the forums as I usually do. Work has been kicking my butt. LOL.
Old 1/11/06, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TJ06@January 11, 2006, 7:45 PM
Stroked 4.3 estimated
Heads 60RWHP SSM
LT’s 30RWHP Estimated
Cams ?
Pully 5RWHP Dyno
_____
Total 390RWHP

Cams 30RWHP Estamated
_________
Total 420RWHP

@Jimp/other people

Don't forget driver skill... Take a look at PHP's V6... He ran a 13.9 with just 206RWHP!!! And a 12.8 with just a 75HP shot!

My understanding is Paul is a great stick shift driver....

You've got to build the rest of your driveline, frame and suspension to be able to handle a 6000 RPM launch on slicks! I mean they pulled a 1.6669 60 foot! I can't break 2.0!! LOL!
Old 1/11/06, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by scrming@January 11, 2006, 8:23 PM
Don't forget driver skill... Take a look at PHP's V6... He ran a 13.9 with just 206RWHP!!! And a 12.8 with just a 75HP shot!

My understanding is Paul is a great stick shift driver....

You've got to build the rest of your driveline, frame and suspension to be able to handle a 6000 RPM launch on slicks! I mean they pulled a 1.6669 60 foot! I can't break 2.0!! LOL!

Yep!!! Funny how you posted this. I just re-read all the replies, and I went to SuperSix site to get the HP numbers. None to be found. After not finding anything, my thought was along the same lines as scrmings!

Which was really really hard launches on slicks, with a re-worked rear end, probably LCA's or other upgrades designed to allow the car to hook well. Plus, with the stroked engine, at what RPM are they spraying? All of these are details we need.

Quick Reply: 4.3L V6