V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

4.0/v6 Spark plugs w/vortech s/c w/cooler!

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/08, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.0/v6 Spark plugs w/vortech s/c w/cooler!

Hey guys!
I just got my 4.0/v6 2006 mustang back from the shop that installed the Vortech v3 HO. I still have the stock plugs with 22,000 miles and the can tune from Vortech.

Tell me something, I should try to stay out of boost right now, because of the plugs and can tune?

The mechanic at the shop is telling me about one step colder motorcraft spark plugs are better for my car then the NGK TR-6, could this be true?

What plugs do you think would be good for my ride?
Thanks
Old 9/2/08, 10:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently had a Vortech V2 installed on my '07 GT and the Vortech canned tune was not so good. Took it to a local dyno tuner and he found an additional 57 rwhp and 50 rwtq over the canned tune - all at a very safe and conservative Air/Fuel ratio.

The factory spark plugs on my 15K mile GT aren't liking the boost. I'm getting some fouling, so I ordered a set of Ford Racing plugs today (one heat range colder) that are specifically designed to withstand the increase cylinder pressure of the blower. You'll likely want new plugs, as well, and there should be several companies offering 1 or 2 heat ranges colder for your 4.0L V6.

And, yes, be judicioius in your use of boost until you have a better tune and new plugs in the car!
Old 9/3/08, 07:46 AM
V6 Member

I have the v2 charge cooled on my v6, I use autolite 5143's gapped to .032. Keep a smaller gap as the supercharger could blow out the spark.

My car ran 13.3 with the canned tune.
Old 9/6/08, 06:57 AM

Question about my New NGK TR6 Plugs?

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I recently had a Vortech V2 installed on my '07 GT and the Vortech canned tune was not so good. Took it to a local dyno tuner and he found an additional 57 rwhp and 50 rwtq over the canned tune - all at a very safe and conservative Air/Fuel ratio.

The factory spark plugs on my 15K mile GT aren't liking the boost. I'm getting some fouling, so I ordered a set of Ford Racing plugs today (one heat range colder) that are specifically designed to withstand the increase cylinder pressure of the blower. You'll likely want new plugs, as well, and there should be several companies offering 1 or 2 heat ranges colder for your 4.0L V6.

And, yes, be judicioius in your use of boost until you have a better tune and new plugs in the car!
Hey Brian!
I had the same problem with the stock plugs, in & out of boost. So I swap out the stock for the NGK Tr6
And we did the relocation of the IAT sensor, and now the ride runs much better, think god!

Now check this out! The new plug are shorter then the stock, why is that? And everyone I talked with says that these plug work great with the s/c'er. How could this be possible?

One more thing, are the ford racing plugs the same size in length?

And for boss 244, what about the autolite 5143's are the plugs the same size in length?

A 13.3 on a canned tune, Wow! I think thats a great time for a ct.
I guess that was around 8 psi of boost?

Was the 13.3 with the stock vortech 3.25 pulley?

Thanks a lot guys

Last edited by dennycarlton; 9/6/08 at 07:21 AM. Reason: To add something else!