V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/10, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine

if anyone is thinking about doing this, getting the right can makes the install a cakewalk. the 1st can i bought was a failure, this 2nd can i got had the right size fittings for the right size hose. this is the can i bought off ebay.
32.00 w/ shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

the bracket wouldnt work, the blue hose is junk, but the can is real nice.

i got the 19/32" crankcase vent hose from oreillys. it comes in 20" pc`s for about 3.00 ea. watch though, i bought 2 pcs and they folded the hose into the box which made most of one hose kinked up scrap. i had to fabricate a bracket that bolted in place with the bolt from the computer, which is a perfect out of the way spot, and wide open under to drain to the floor.

remove the hard plastic vent tube from the pcv valve and the intake by pushing the green button sideways and pulling off. i cut a slice in the hard tube to remove the 90 degree fitting to make the hose fit nicer to the catch can. the hose fit perfect on the stub out of the intake, the 90 elbow and the fittings on the can. a little teflon tape on the fittings, cut the hose and fit and clamp good. done. this should stop alot of oil from being pumped into the intake and throttle body i hope. now time will tell, testing 1,2,3
Attached Thumbnails 2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-install1.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-install2.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-install3.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-install4.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-installa.jpg  

2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-installb.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-installc.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-oil-can-installd.jpg   2005 V6 testing oil catch can on na engine-engine-bay.jpg  
Old 10/17/10, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the vent or PVC (whatever it is) on the other side. Doesn't that draw oil into the plenum also?
Old 10/17/10, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chronos
What about the vent or PVC (whatever it is) on the other side. Doesn't that draw oil into the plenum also?
ya there is a breather hose on the other side, and thats where i was gonna put the can, but i guess it works better in the pcv valve line. i need to check up on that other line. it comes right into the cai tube. not sure which direction it flows. maybe someone can answer this question?
Old 10/17/10, 07:34 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
A friend of mine had a catch can on the driver side of his 4.0. He didn't even know it was there (he had some work done to the car while he was deployed and that was part of what the shop did). So he had never checked it in almost a year - it was bone dry and no evidence of any oil in it ever.

The 4.0 needs the catch can on the passenger side, that is where the oil blow by happens on the 4.0. The 4.6 needs it on the driver side.
Old 10/19/10, 11:42 AM
V6 Member

Jim brings up an interesting point. I guess an easy way to check would be to look at the existing connections and lines. If the driver's side is dry, then that tells us it is not important. I can see on the pics you posted that the PCV and the hose has some oil residue indicating the blow by.

I have been contemplating the idea of doing this myself. Just don't want to have the CA smog test stations give me grief over it.
Old 12/20/10, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

What does this do? Obviously it catches oil but why do I need it to catch oil? Ami hurting my car by not having this? I'm just very unaware of this and wanted to know a lil bit more detail on it. Thx guys!
Old 12/20/10, 08:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
It is more an issue for cars running boost, and the oil vapors that are drawn into the intake to be burned off causing a potential drop in octane. On boosted cars the can will catch a lot of oil - mine is usually half full if I don't empty it for 3,000 miles or so.
Old 12/20/10, 09:51 PM
V6 Member

Oh ok gotcha! Thanks for the info! Very useful and I needed it so I can continue to learn something new everyday! Lol! Maybe one day I'll have boost... Better start saving. How do you guys do it? By that I mean afford it?? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 7/26/16, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Someone wanted to see this catch can install so I`m bumping it up, might as well add this has been many years now and it still works great!!!

Last edited by amustangrocks; 7/26/16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 5/6/17, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moostang08
What does this do? Obviously it catches oil but why do I need it to catch oil? Ami hurting my car by not having this? I'm just very unaware of this and wanted to know a lil bit more detail on it. Thx guys!
If I would have known the benifit of having this can, I would have done it a couple years before I did. Are you hurting anything? Not so much, the factory setup works, but you can plan on cleaning your throttle body much more often. If your car idles rough, clean your throttle body.

The reason to have this is to remove all the oil thats getting pumped into the intake, and contributes to the throttle body getting so dirty so fast. If you clean your throttle body, you`ll notice all the old built up in the plenum. Then theres the fact that that oil is ending up in the fuel getting injected, so that cant be such a great thing either.

Adding this can removes ALOT of oil from the vapors that pass on through. This is one of the best things you can do. Its has worked great now for alot of years. Once you see how much oil you drain out of it, you`ll be amazed. The key is the can is large enough to let the oil collect inside the can and drain to the bottom. It works great without having a boosted car.

Last edited by amustangrocks; 5/6/17 at 02:17 PM.