V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

05 V6 auto trans shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/12, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 V6 auto trans shift problem

i posted this elsewhere, but really need to find a trans guy. last week, installed some new plugs and went on a test run. at wot with the shifter in D, when it should have shifted into 2nd, there was nothing there. i was able to put it into 3rd and drive it home. reverse was gone as well. if i drop it into 3,2 or 1 it shifts hard into gear. i played with the shift linkage adjust. a bunch of times and reset the pcm and it started working fine all last week.(drove spirited but no redline runs)

sat night i got on it and the same thing happened. i havent had any luck getting it to work again. same exact thing, no R or D, 3,2,1 shifts into gear hard. the trans has been serviced a couple times with fluid and the level seems ok. i`m gonna order a filter and drop the pan myself this next week, and get a hand pump to replace the fluid. any other ideas?
Old 7/5/12, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure to check the electrical connection on the trans, disconnect it and look at the face of the connector and make sure all of the wires are fully seated in the connector.
Old 7/6/12, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I am pretty sure its not the filter or a low fliud problem. Take it to a trust worthy trans shop.
Old 7/9/12, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I am pretty sure its not the filter or a low fliud problem. Take it to a trust worthy trans shop.
ya, me too and my almost b-in-law said the same thing. ive got a filter coming this week and i`ll drop the pan anyway to get a look inside the pan. i guess the filters dont really filter much and if they are plugged, the trans is toast anyway. gonna be hard to find anything trustworthy down here. might be better off getting and installing a new trans myself.

i checked the connectors, tried adjusting the shifter again, uploaded a new tune, pulled the fill plug, fluid comes out. tried starting and shifting 5 times in a row, no codes. still the same, works in 3,2,1, no D or R. starts in park so its not the TR sensor. ive been reading up, need a special scanner for the trans. maybe the pan will tell something.

thanks for the replies guys, still searching for clues.
Old 7/16/12, 03:28 PM
Banned

Reverse is usually a manually engaged gear so if its not going in then that's not good news. Drive or Overdrive should I say is computer engaged but if there's other concerns in the trans its not going to go. I hate to say it but a trip to the trans shop is in order. If you do replace it dont forget to blow out the cooler lines!

Thanks, Doug
Old 7/17/12, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L
Reverse is usually a manually engaged gear so if its not going in then that's not good news. Drive or Overdrive should I say is computer engaged but if there's other concerns in the trans its not going to go. I hate to say it but a trip to the trans shop is in order. If you do replace it dont forget to blow out the cooler lines!

Thanks, Doug
hey doug, just welcomed you back in another thread. thanks for that info. ya, i replaced the filter over the weekend, topped off the fluid, and swapped the tci back to the oem shifter with no changes. the pan was very clean and the oil still kinda red, but i did find 4 teeny tiny brass or bronze flakes in the pan. thanks for the tip on the cooler lines, i just might be replacing it myself, but not sure yet. i`m really missing my car right about now though, and a little disappointed it only lasted 105k, after being serviced a couple times.

still a mystery why the first time it happened, it came back to life after playing with the shift cable and resetting the computer. and worked great for another week till i gave it another wot takeoff??

anyone know if there are any deals out there for a new "crate trans"?? (if there is such a thing)

Last edited by amustangrocks; 7/17/12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 7/23/12, 12:03 AM

My solenoid pack was starting to go out on my trans but the only symptoms I had were very rough shifts and sometimes it would lose a gear or not want to shift at all. Idk if yours did these also but I replaced it and its just fine now
Old 7/29/12, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by enjoirichard
My solenoid pack was starting to go out on my trans but the only symptoms I had were very rough shifts and sometimes it would lose a gear or not want to shift at all. Idk if yours did these also but I replaced it and its just fine now
sounds a little different, but i`m thinking about trying that before i buy a new trans. did you replace it yourself?
Old 8/2/12, 08:12 AM

Yea in the driveway with a jack and some stands. Its pretty simple
Old 8/3/12, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by enjoirichard
Yea in the driveway with a jack and some stands. Its pretty simple
hey cool and thanks. i`m gonna order one tonight and change it next week. maybe i`ll get lucky. if not, it sounds like it will be a good part to have on hand for the long haul or if i rebuild my original trans down the road for a backup. i wont core it, i`ll just keep it.

if R is a manually operated gear like doug said, its not gonna fix me, but i`ll try the solenoid first, just cause my pan was real clean and from what ive been reading, this part last about as long as the plastic t stat housings.