GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

would like some GT owners opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/09, 06:50 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see what everybody is saying. I reason why my friend got the 6 was because it was also cheaper on Insurance too. You can do any mod you wanted to the car or motor and the insurance would pretty much stay the same. Thats another way that you can look at it too.
Old 11/12/09, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Build up your 6, focus on cutting weight and getting the suspension to balance well with the car and its power. Keep in mind the 5.4 has the decided disadvantage of being heavy and really it's only use is in bulletproof high boost applications.

Also keep in mind the 6er next year will probably be around 300hp and lighter than the powerplant in your car.
Check out the Shelby Terlingua. THAT is pretty cool. Lighter, handles better. Got some grapes too.

It depends on what you want. Too many times we get fixated on straight line performance.

Personally, I'd check out a boosted V6. I am old enough to remember GN's and GNX's on the street.
Old 11/13/09, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoogieNights
I see what everybody is saying. I reason why my friend got the 6 was because it was also cheaper on Insurance too. You can do any mod you wanted to the car or motor and the insurance would pretty much stay the same. Thats another way that you can look at it too.
Ever test that theory with the insurance company's checkbook when it comes time for them to pony up? If your mods aren't reported they have you listed as owning a stock car. When they go to bring you back to the point you were at before the loss, you get what's on the contract. They probably won't do it, but technically they can have the option of flat out denying the claim based solely on what they see as a misrepresentation.

Better hope a $10k-$15k transplant wasn't stolen or totalled....
Old 11/13/09, 08:08 AM
GT Member

i was just thinking if i did the v8 swap my car would be like everyone elses. now it gets attention cause people walk up and say oh wow this guy really did up a sixer. thats why i was thinking of putting either a SC or a turbo on it. but as far as price, it would only be a small chunk more for me to do a swap and put boost on that and have an engine more likely to with hold the power. i know with the stock 6 any more than 9 PSI i might blow the engine. my thought is what makes one stang stand out from the rest? something you dont see everyday, i think. im appreciating all the feedback though. keep it coming! thanks guys
Old 11/13/09, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
saying you will keep it forever is just plain silly. It will never happen. You will sell it.. And every $$ you throw at a v6 is wasted cause you will have little chance of getting any of it back.. Sell it and buy a GT, you will be much happier.. If you wanted a Mustang to leave stock and drive every day the 6 is the right car. Top go fast the GT is the car. No other way around it.
Old 11/13/09, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
saying you will keep it forever is just plain silly. It will never happen. You will sell it.. And every $$ you throw at a v6 is wasted cause you will have little chance of getting any of it back.. Sell it and buy a GT, you will be much happier.. If you wanted a Mustang to leave stock and drive every day the 6 is the right car. Top go fast the GT is the car. No other way around it.
Not to mention that you could very well end up with reliability/driveability issues that never get completely ironed out after a drivetrain swap. It may sound fun now to pour the time and energy into diagnosing these issues, but I'd imagine it could get frustrating when you just want to go for a drive.
Old 11/13/09, 11:49 AM
Cobra R Member

what mods have you done, some you can swap out onto the new or newer GT and sell the V-6.
Old 11/13/09, 12:08 PM
GT Member

i ordered this car new with 7 miles on it. now it has 20,000 and is not a daily driver anymore. it is strictly for fun now. people say i wont ever sell it but i see people that have 69 mustangs they bought new and still have them. i enjoy building up this car, not selling it and starting over. i think some people are overlooking my original question. im not gonna sell it that is not even a question or thought in my head
Old 11/13/09, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangpowers
my question is what you gt owners would think was more impressive at say a car show, an extremly done up v6 500hp or a 5.4 put into what used to be a v6?
From a "show" standpoint I don't know that the type of engine really matters. It's what you do to whatever you have. I've been going to car shows since the 70's, & the type of engine never really mattered to me. That is, unless you went completely crazy & put a 427 side-oiler, or a 429 SCJ in it! I'm an old V8 guy. I recently sold my beloved '95 T-Bird Super Coupe. I loved hearing the blower whine, but just never cared for the V6 exhaust note. Nothing like the sound of 8 cylinders through dual exhaust!

Last edited by mcate; 11/13/09 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11/13/09, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

as you can tell there are quite a few opinions, looks like all are mostly positive, I am in the process of taking my modded, s/c'ed 2005 V6 back to a stock motor with just some bolt ons, even took the 8.8 out and went back to a stock 7.5, which I am going to put a tloc in. what you do to your car is of course up to you, true enthusiasts will appreciate your car if its a nicely done one of a kind no matter if its a V8 or V6, I have about a dozen or so tropheys to prove it, my car has also been in 3 magazines, something that is difficult no matter what. also you will always have someone make fun of what you have, especially if you spend a lot of money, arm chain opinions will always be, the best thing you can do is what you can afford

heres a shot of my V6, ran 13.2@105 at the track, I spent 3 1/2 years on the build with my son, he gets it in less than two years, he will still be happy with the way it looks and its has been better than any mastercard commercial

heres a shot with its brothers,

Old 11/13/09, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

I think it if youre looking to keep it between 350-400hp, stay with the v6. I plan on doing exactly what youre doing. I plan on staying with the car as long as i can and hopefully hand it down to my son. I think that if youre going to be going to the track often, then i'd go with a v8. I dont know if its me but it feels great to beat a v8 with our little v6's. Ive done it multiple times at the 1/8 mile and i just have bolt ons. I say be different, dont take the easy way out and stay with it as a v6.

Last edited by nitecrawler27; 11/13/09 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11/15/09, 05:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustangpowers
i understand buying a GT would be an easier route, but im not looking for easy. i have NO intention of ever selling this car EVER. im gonna build it up and hand my son the keys when he is older. i personally give more respect to people that build up a car than buy it already done. i have no problem doing a gt swap or a 5.4 liter. my question is what you gt owners would think was more impressive at say a car show, an extremly done up v6 500hp or a 5.4 put into what used to be a v6? i know now when i go to shows, i get the shock factor. people cant believe its a sixer. does that make sense?
Based on that quote there is no question that you should get the 5.4!
Old 11/15/09, 07:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by topbliss
I don't understand people who say you can't keep a car forever.
My car has less than 10K mi. after almost 4 years.
My last car was 30 years old when I sold it and it still ran like new.
I only sold it for the garage space.
My friend has a daily driver (seen all sorts of salt and ice) that is 25 years old.
When my Mustang is 30 years old I will most likely not be able to drive anymore.
That would be FOREVER for me for sure.

The only way my car will be sold is if it is wrecked.
(Not to say I won't buy a 2011 or another additional car next year.)
Old 11/17/09, 05:05 AM

I've been down the road you're on right now.

I had a 2003 SVT Focus. Kept it for 6 years, did some modding in the form of a s/c, coilovers, clutch, flywheel, and so on. All in all including, stereo, exterior bits, paint, 3 sets of wheels/tires, and so on I had maybe $15,000 in it.

Around the time I was wrenching and spending money left and right WRX STIs hit the streets. After buying my Focus and spending all that cash I could have gotten an STI that was faster stock than my heavily modded SVT, with much, much more room to grow for the same amount of money.

Do what makes you happy. Personally, I'd up for a GT. In terms of potential and cost it's a better buy. Do what I did. Find a good condition used 05/06 and love the bargin price.
Old 11/17/09, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Chris, talk to someone that can build up your engine right with good internals and do a really nice turbo on it. I'd def take a look at that at a car show and so would others. I agree with the other poster, take the road less traveled, be unique, and do it right.
Old 11/19/09, 08:28 PM
GT Member

after reading all your suggestions, i think i decided to keep the sixer and build it into a monster, till it blows than ill probably do the engine swap lol. so now im starting to get money together for my build. thanks to everyone for your feedback, i read it all and highly considered each idea and comment. greatly appreciate it
Old 11/19/09, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Chris now keep us all informed as you progress. I'd really like to see what you make of it.
Old 11/20/09, 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
If your set on not selling your car I would say throw a turbo on your 6 or build that engine up however you see fit. If your leaning towards the engine swap I think your best bet there would be swap out the whole car. I would be more impressed with a built up 6er over doing a 4.6 or the 5.4 swap, also I think you would have fewer problems/costs working on your 6er
Old 11/21/09, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Torque is addictive. If you like torque, the V8 is the way to go.