GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Why Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 04:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm open enough to know why people get autos, but they will never be for me. I still like to tease my sister, she knows I'm joking.
Besides the Mustang has such a smooth manaul, it's crazy. I have driven my bosses Freightlener FL-50, and now that's a clutch.
Old 5/24/05, 04:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

I purchased an auto. because after driving sticks for my first 20yrs. of driving I am tired of shifting. I have a Harley now that if I want to shift I can ride it. Also wife likes auto. better.
Old 5/24/05, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@May 24, 2005, 2:58 PM
Daily Driver, lots of traffic, not a racer........if you never drove the new mustang GT with the auto....you are missing out, it is quik , fast, easy, and shifts very smoothly.

PLUS...I am getting to old (35) for shifting all the time.............

Hey, 35 isn't old!!! :nono: Get the auto if you want a cruiser and the manual if you want all out performance. Me, I have a 5spd on order.
Old 5/24/05, 05:13 PM
V6 Member

It's funny that people still refer to the manual as the "5-speed" when the new 05 automatic is also 5-speed.

I grew up driving automatics, that's just what I'm comfortable with. And like others, my 05 is my daily driver and I face a lot of stop and go traffic. The 05 GT automatic is also a 5-speed and shifts very aggressively, so you're really not giving up very much. Unless you're the type who insists upon having a manual, in which case there's no question.
Old 5/24/05, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went auto because my wife can't drive a stick. :bang: And there is no way in heck that Im gonna try to teach her AGAIN on a new Stang...Aint gonna happen!!! That being said I really do like this auto...shifts nicley and very clean feel to it !
Old 5/24/05, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by My Blue Heaven@May 24, 2005, 12:53 PM
Automatic = never missing 3rd gear
decent driver = never missing 3rd
Old 5/24/05, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Here's my take, there's just something that feels luxurious about getting in my 'stang popping it in gear and letting it do all the tranny work. It's a little bit of Cadillac. I test-drove 3 different manual tranny 'stangs and there just wasn't anything special about the experience (beyond the kick of being in a 'stang of course ) A big selling point of the auto is it is 5 SPEEDS!! A 5 speed auto!! Back in my musclecar days I never would have dreamed of such a thing. Anyway, for me there was nothing extra about the experience in driving a stick. Maybe it's because I've driven many, many sticks over the years and it's lost it's appeal. I actually wasn't limiting myself to the auto when I looked around, but I am very happy that I did get the auto.

And there's this:

Auto = two useful drink holders
Manual = 2 holes in the console for storing stuff that doesn't stick above the console because it will block your arm

Old 5/24/05, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I wanted auto trans b/c I tried driving a manual GT and had a hard time pushing the clutch far enough down to change gears...I'm 5'2, and to have the seat where I won't bite the steering wheel, I have to really stretch the foot to push the clutch in all the way.
Not too comfortable on the foot. Besides, hubby has a bad left knee from football injuries in high school, and will soon need knee replacement surgery.
We both are very happy with auto trans...very smooth change of gears......
Old 5/24/05, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pushing in a clutch after doing squats in the gym ain't fun
Old 5/24/05, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I have owned both 05 GTs. The first was a manual, the second an automatic. Both cars identical other than transmission. To be honest you might say I out grew the thrill of shifting. It just not the same as when I was young and racing. Old farts like myself need their creature comforts and the auto is so much less work. An added bonus is being to actually use the cup holders with big, tall super size cups.
Old 5/24/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with Tres on his points. I have had two previous manual GTs in the past and my first and only test drive in the 05 was a manual. I chose the auto because after doing some pre-ordering research, I found it to be a tight transmission that would deliver. I have not regreted the auto once and I have had the car over 5 months now. It is not a daily driver and everytime I go for a drive I still feel my heart race and I get that big grin.
The car is a blast to drive with either 5 speed. The power is there to play with and the looks of the car make it all the better. As far as mileage goes on my last road trip down I 95 I got 27.5 mpg, for an auto with a V8 that is okay in my book. Enjoy those 05 Mustangs.
Old 5/24/05, 09:13 PM

My next Mustang will be an auto because Ford still uses the Tremec 3650 as the manual.
Old 5/24/05, 09:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Reasons I got an auto:
1. Long Island Expressway
2. I needed a new car asap and the v6 maual wasn't available yet
3. I have never driven manual and noone was able to teach me.
4. 90% of the time I am sitting in traffic here.
Old 5/24/05, 10:48 PM

With modern engineering and technology what it is, soon the automatics will outperform autos. In this month's Popular Science, "What's new -Auto Tech" section, is a short snippet about a new automatic tranmission technology called Direct-Shift Gearbox(DSG) that uses twin clutches which permits shifting in two tenths of second (faster than humanly possible) without interrupting torque during acceleration. The 2006 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro will have this (costing about $30K).

I say let technology do all the work... I just wish my automatic Mustang would feed me too!
Old 5/25/05, 03:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@May 24, 2005, 3:30 PM
Not hating but:

1)You shouldn't be eating or using a cell phone while you drive(talking on the phone is actually outlawed in NJ)

2)And not knowing how to drive a manual is not a reason to get Auto...never know if you'll like it unless you try it.

3)"With 300+ HP an auto will serve me just fine." Not sure about this, but I tihnk you lose more HP in the drive train with an auto than manual, dont you? Not sure about this one. Don't quote me on it.
They should go federal with this law and outlaw talking on the cell phone while driving in all 50 states.

Yes, an automatic does rob power from the motor. More energy on its way to the wheels is bled off through the more complicated drivetrain of an auto. It's a loss of probably around 10 - 15 HP in a stock Mustang GT. It's also added weight. Around 60lbs or so.
Old 5/25/05, 03:20 AM

Went with the auto for the same reason a few others here did--my wife, although she can drive a manual when needed, doesn't like to. Since the Mustang's her dream car, she got to choose the transmission.
Old 5/25/05, 03:46 AM
GT Member

I drive automatics because i have arthritis and severe joint pain in my left knee after ACL surgery and im only 22
Old 5/25/05, 03:58 AM
Bullitt Member

5 speed auto was a must for me! I drive some 11 hours a day in traffic. When I get in my 05, It's time for cruzzin! Done the manual thing for enough years, it was time for the change and could'nt be happier!
Happy Trails!!! B)
Old 5/25/05, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

My reason was pretty simple. Wife said No Auto, No Mustang So auto it was. There have definitely been a couple times where I miss having a stick but for the most part I love having the auto in Atlanta traffic. Also, this auto rocks. Hopefully in the next year or so I can get a tuner and correct the minor deficincies it has.

Jason
Old 5/25/05, 05:54 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

You can still play around pretty good with an auto though. I have had a ball with mine!

Quick Reply: Why Automatic