GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Why Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Reasons I ordered an automatic:
1- lots of city traffic and stop and go.
2 - want my wife to enjoy driving our Mustang and she does not like driving a stick
3 - had a stick on a Toyota Celica and got a little tired of shifting all the time
4- I'm sort of an old fart (58).

I do feel that with a stick you have more control and sort of become one with the car. Sort of Zen like I guess. :worship:
Old 5/24/05, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic.
Old 5/24/05, 01:53 PM
V6 Member

A guy in a '03 GT raced me up the two lane on-ramp to the highway. When I reached 70 I was ahead by over a car length and never let go of my Coca Cola.

I won and, at the same time, enjoyed a refreshing sip of my beverage. He was second... and probably parched.
Old 5/24/05, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Teruzane@May 24, 2005, 12:06 PM
Probably shouldn't, doesn't mean people don't or won't!
If more people were aware that using a cell phone makes you as likely to have an accident as 4 drinks(avg size person) they might "hang up and drive".

Back on topic...manual puts you more in touch with the driving experience.Traffic is a good reason to go auto,like so many have said.

If there is more than one driver of the manual car...somebody is going to get the blame for wearing out a clutch.Keep the peace in your family and go auto.
Old 5/24/05, 02:04 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by holderca1@May 24, 2005, 3:30 PM
The Mustang is a 2+2, not a 2 seater.

busted! i actually meant to say two DOOR. :bang:

good catch
Old 5/24/05, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

MANUAL!

I smoke, drink coffee, eat a doughnut, talk on cell phone (Bluetooth hands free though) and drive a stick! :drive:
Old 5/24/05, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Traffic, Size 13 feet, and that ADD kicks in way to much for me to worry about shifting...ha... If the manual was a 6speed or the Auto a 4 I would have a manual. The automatics hold their resale better too.

If I could do it all over again I would order a manual because I didn't realize the limits on the Automatic. I am going to supercharge this beast, and the auto is a big ?????
Old 5/24/05, 02:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cdemot02@May 24, 2005, 2:16 PM
Size 13 feet
What does that have to do with getting a auto over a manual. I have no problems with the pedals and my feet.
Old 5/24/05, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just curious...you think there are stats of stolen vehicles that are automatic vs manual?

Reasons I see people that want an automatic:
  • Congested traffic
  • Can't/won't drive a manual
  • Extra hand free
  • Enjoy 2-3 less MPG
Old 5/24/05, 02:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@May 24, 2005, 2:22 PM
Just curious...you think there are stats of stolen vehicles that are automatic vs manual?
Well, I would think that more autos would get stolen just for the fact that not all theives know how to drive a manual. I don't know about stats for it though.
Old 5/24/05, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@May 24, 2005, 2:24 PM
Well, I would think that more autos would get stolen just for the fact that not all theives know how to drive a manual. I don't know about stats for it though.
I would think that too...just want to test that hypothesis. (Would be another good reason to have a stick )
Old 5/24/05, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Here goes again:

First, I wanted a stick, but got the auto because I found one on the lot exactly the way I wanted it, but with an auto. Also, the wife wanted to drive it and she cannot drive a stick. I though it was a small price to pay to make the wife happy since she was letting me buy a 30K toy that I absolutely did not need...

However, as much as I want to hate the auto. I found little if anything to complain about. If I were to buy another one, I would still get the auto for the following reasons:

1) It shifts better than my 40 year old reflexes could. Few stick drivers can consistantly beat this auto in the 1/8 mile ( more common traffic light heads up ) although the male ego prevents most from admiting this. The taller gear in 4th allowes the stick to win in the 1/4 with a reasonable driver.

2) It makes the cup holders usable ( unless you like dipping your sleeve in your cup while shifting )

3) Atlanta Traffic is horrable. A few hours of stop and go gets old fast with a stick.

4) Any chick impressed by the car could care less about the auto vs stick... ( ok this one is a joke )

5) I do not like changing clutches anymore...

6) I guess the real reason that I like this auto is that I have lost some of my "I have to be macho" quality as I have gotten older. I do not feel the need to try and impress people with my driving skills any more. As a result, I found that I like not having to shift gears all of the time....
Old 5/24/05, 02:31 PM
GT Member

I would pick an automatic. If u had a manual and their was someone u knew that needed to borrow ur car like a relative maybe.. and the person didnt know how to drive manual.. then ya thats a problem. Plus the fact that theirs more of a distraction when using a stick shift especially if ur a new driver. Imo for people who think the car should be manual to race easier.. remember the streets arent a race track.. thats how i see it
Old 5/24/05, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1@May 24, 2005, 3:20 PM
What does that have to do with getting a auto over a manual. I have no problems with the pedals and my feet.
Was a J/k
Old 5/24/05, 03:12 PM
GT Member

LAZY that's it nothing else.
Old 5/24/05, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

I got the manual because:

1. I think you get better control over the car.
2. The gas mileage is a little better.
3. The manual transmission is cheaper.
4. I think manuals help you focus better on driving.
5. I like choosing when I've wrung enough power out of each gear.
6. I think the manual transmission fits better with the image of the car.

And yes, there are times when driving a stick is a pain. Such as in traffic. However, I would never choose to buy an automatic just so I can have a hand free to juggle food and drinks. I don't eat in my car and I'm not too keen on drinking in my car either. If I have to make a call on my cell, I pull over. If I receive a call while I'm driving, I let voicemail pick it up. I am appalled by what some people do while driving!
Old 5/24/05, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

Commuting in heavy rush hour traffic daily and I become possessed when I drive a manual, all of a sudden I'm a race car driver and everyone on the road is an opponent that I have to pass.
Old 5/24/05, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I learned how to drive a manual and after the process I decided I didn't want to deal with a stick in some places and traffic that I drive in. Of course I'm not the car buff some folks are that post here.
Old 5/24/05, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Manual for me because:

1) This is NOT my daily driver. I'm buying this car for fun.

2) My 4x4s are an automatic. I heard that automatics are better suited for off-road (easier to get out of the mud--but I don't want to hijack your thread with that topic!)

3) I am selling my 30mpg 5-speed manual car ('84 subaru GL, so it's about time!!!), and that's what I used to drive to work each day, and I never had a problem with using the clutch. With the lines backed up to get onto a military base, I learned how to just crawl in 1st gear and hardly ever have to use the clutch.

4) I feel more in tune with a car with manual transmission, and I'm buying this one for fun! (I said that twice, didn't I? Well, 'cause it's true!)
Old 5/24/05, 04:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Rondosa@May 24, 2005, 10:32 AM

To me, sports car = manual tranny.

I would agree with you if I viewed the Mustang as a sports car, which IMO is not. The Mustang is a speedy car more in line with Muscle Car, that Sports Car, so it was a no brainer for me to get the Automatic, for stop and go traffic as well as the driving characteristics of this car. Sports Cars (and I've had plenty), I prefer manual trannys - smaller cars - suspensions built for the twisty-turny's as well as speed.

Quick Reply: Why Automatic