GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

who has the best deal on a clutch and a flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/08, 03:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i need a new clutch and flywheel,can someone please post a link of everything i need?

my clutch is done after 20k and of corse its not covered under warrenty. can anyone tell me everything i need and post a link for a good price please. thank you
Old 1/29/08, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by touring
my clutch is done after 20k and of corse its not covered under warrenty. can anyone tell me everything i need and post a link for a good price please. thank you

Hey E,
I am curious why you think you need a new flywheel? If you want to rev quicker you can go with an aluminum flywheed. But there good clutches out there that will work with the stock flywheel.
Scott
Old 1/29/08, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

you probably dont know the story so here goes...

well after my wife told me she heard a snap then feeling grinding when her foot was on the pedal and the car not engaging and felt like the car didnt want to get into gear,i think it was safe to make the assumption that my clutch was done.So after she finally comes home i smell the clutch from a mile away,that only added to my theory. So i bring it to crown and of corse as soon as i pull in a mechanic starts to walk to the car and says " you know your clutch is done right"? Because he can smell it a mile away so i agree and the paper work gets started when the manager comes out and tells me it might not be covered under warrenty!!! this car has 10k miles,is a 07,and i spent 30k and your gonna tell me it might be covered WTF. So short story long. i get a call back from them saying they no longer smell the problem WTF !!! So i go back there and drive the car myself and sure enough the smell is back!! So they accepted that there was a problem and hopefully get the clutch taken care of.

well it was the clutch,it was almost done completly and it started to affect the flywheel. they said it was getting hot spots guessing thats where the smell was coming from.not only is it not covered under warrenty but i got a great call from service telling me how much it would come out to 1200!!!!! so much for nothing being wrong with it. So i told them no thank you and to just put it together and i would take care of it. Can anyone guess what happened next????? "Ok the labor fees for checking out the problem will be here when you pick up the car" Labor fees!!!! after that i lost it.They wanted to charge me $500 for labor fees on something that didnt get fixed and i had known nothing about. after telling the service manager what i thought he agreed not to charge me for labor cost but not before letting me know that he disagreed with what i told him. So i pick up the car tomorrow

thats the story,i can have the machine shop fix it for about 25$ or get a new flywheel.

that being said what should i get??? and where is the best price i can get it for? thanks
Old 1/29/08, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

you probably dont know the story so here goes...

well after my wife told me she heard a snap then feeling grinding when her foot was on the pedal and the car not engaging and felt like the car didnt want to get into gear,i think it was safe to make the assumption that my clutch was done.So after she finally comes home i smell the clutch from a mile away,that only added to my theory. So i bring it to crown and of corse as soon as i pull in a mechanic starts to walk to the car and says " you know your clutch is done right"? Because he can smell it a mile away so i agree and the paper work gets started when the manager comes out and tells me it might not be covered under warrenty!!! this car has 10k miles,is a 07,and i spent 30k and your gonna tell me it might be covered WTF. So short story long. i get a call back from them saying they no longer smell the problem WTF !!! So i go back there and drive the car myself and sure enough the smell is back!! So they accepted that there was a problem and hopefully get the clutch taken care of.

well it was the clutch,it was almost done completly and it started to affect the flywheel. they said it was getting hot spots guessing thats where the smell was coming from.not only is it not covered under warrenty but i got a great call from service telling me how much it would come out to 1200!!!!! so much for nothing being wrong with it. So i told them no thank you and to just put it together and i would take care of it. Can anyone guess what happened next????? "Ok the labor fees for checking out the problem will be here when you pick up the car" Labor fees!!!! after that i lost it.They wanted to charge me $500 for labor fees on something that didnt get fixed and i had known nothing about. after telling the service manager what i thought he agreed not to charge me for labor cost but not before letting me know that he disagreed with what i told him. So i pick up the car tomorrow

thats the story,i can have the machine shop fix it for about 25$ or get a new flywheel.

that being said what should i get??? and where is the best price i can get it for? thanks

Well first thing you need to get is a new dealer!! Is there another dealer anywhere close to you can get another opinion??? You know you don't have to take it back to the same place you bought it!!! That is pretty Fu*ked up.
Scott
Old 1/29/08, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

there is but either was i need a new clutch,it just sucks because the car just hit it's 20k mark. oh well. im putting a SC inside when i get back from a deployment so i needed one anyway. i just didnt think it would be so soon.

HEY SPONSERS GIVE ME A GOOD DEAL ON A CLUTCH!!!(BREN)
Old 1/29/08, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Most dealers won't warrenty a clutch after like 12k miles..... similar to brake pads, etc. I do feel for you though- that sucks!!

You can try Brenspeed (email them, remember they don't post much) and also try Modular Depot. I know Ken is a great guy to talk to, although after he joined here he pretty much stopped posting too. Either one can set you up with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel for less than the factory pieces I bet.
Old 1/29/08, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Most dealers won't warrenty a clutch after like 12k miles..... similar to brake pads, etc. I do feel for you though- that sucks!!

You can try Brenspeed (email them, remember they don't post much) and also try Modular Depot. I know Ken is a great guy to talk to, although after he joined here he pretty much stopped posting too. Either one can set you up with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel for less than the factory pieces I bet.

What the heck happened to the 36/36 bumper to bumper warranty guys??
Scott
Old 1/29/08, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Scott

i have no idea..... What do you guys think about this ?
Old 1/29/08, 04:59 PM
Cobra Member

found one

http://www.lmperformance.com/7420/73.html

free shipping and cheapest price!!!!

Have you guys been to this site!!!!! Everything is cheaper than everybody!!!

you guys know if i can use this with the stock flywheel?
Old 1/29/08, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The stock flywheel or the aluminum version will be the same size...so I would say YES it will work with the stock flywheel. But I don't know anything about how good they are????????
Scott
Old 1/29/08, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

well i finally found what i want

http://www.lmperformance.com/7682/73.html

and one have or know where i can find a pdf on this project,or have one they can send me via email? ill send a paypal right away for your trouble. thank you
Old 1/29/08, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scott
LOL, it never existed.

I shop at LM at the time...... they always have great deals.

and one have or know where i can find a pdf on this project,or have one they can send me via email? ill send a paypal right away for your trouble. thank you

Sorry man, can't help you.....
Old 1/29/08, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Ok the labor fees for checking out the problem will be here when you pick up the car" Labor fees!!!! after that i lost it.They wanted to charge me $500 for labor fees on something that didnt get fixed and i had known nothing about.

You can't honestly expect a tech to do all the labor involved with pulling a clutch for no charge. $500 is really high for that labor though.
Old 1/31/08, 12:31 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Hope this helps...
Old 1/31/08, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I have that clutch with 2000 miles on it that I could ship for $150... I also have a 5000 mile perfect stock flywheel I could send for $50.. This stuff is perfect. Many people on here would confirm the condition of these parts as well as my ethics.
Old 2/1/08, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

pm sent, let me know soon because im looking at anotherone also.
Old 2/2/08, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

thanks S197 GT
Old 2/3/08, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Scott
Ford does not warranty the clutch at all. If you trash the clutch on the way home after buying the car, Oh well too bad.

Here is the New Car Factory Warranty http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/warranty/07/

Here is what they don't cover even on there Premium Care Extened Warranty.

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/premiumCare.cfm
Components Not Covered by Ford ESP PremiumCare Mechanical:
Service adjustments/cleaning; battery/cables, belts, hoses, Brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, lining, disc rotors and pads); coolant; exhaust system (including catalytic converter); lights (bulbs, sealed beam and lenses); filters, fluids, lubricants, manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs/wires; squeaks and rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, wheel studs, wiper blades

It sucks but Ford knows that the a Manual Mustang GT is going to have its clutch run hard on a good % of them.