GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Who else here hides parts at work from your wife

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/06, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dustindu4@January 24, 2006, 9:10 AM
My boss keeps accusing me of running an auto parts business on the side. I had to rearrange my file cabinet so nobody can see anything when they walk by, but if they walk in it looks like the back room at Pep Boys. The pile was bigger last week until last weekend I installed my LCAs and flowmasters. It will get bigger in 2 weeks when my drag radials, autometer gauges, and line lock stuff comes in.

[attachmentid=43579]

Yes I know the stuff is supposed to be on the car but it's 18 degrees and snowing out. It just happened to be 55 last weekend and I managed to get some parts on.
LOL! I hide them in the garage. Thought it was just me.

John
Old 2/1/06, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by afcop13@January 24, 2006, 10:14 AM
That is double freaking fantastic!

I have to skim the $$ first, then I try to get the part on while she is at work! She got in and seen my MGW stuff and was like......"Hey, was that there before?"

She bought my 1/4 window scoops though.

Springs and BMR Panhard bar next.
Try hiding brand new 18" wheels ("The originals are flawed and these are the replacements. I get to keep the originals...") or a boxed x-pipe. I told her the Hurst shifter was "always there" and just got the t-handle and exterior emblem for nostalgia. The springs have been sitting in a box for months behind the idle riding lawn mower. I've got a 60" package with my S&S a-pillar pod coming shortly--not sure where that can go. I'm thinking the attic portion of my garage...

John
Old 2/2/06, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slammer223 @ January 24, 2006, 11:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I promised my wife I wouldn't start putting on mods till a few other bills get paid off. So the incentive is to hurry up and get them paid! And since she does the books, so its tough to hide credit card purchases. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Same boat here. Add 2 kids under 4 and mods are pretty much non-existant. At least ones of any real value. Any time I mention the Cervinis side exhaust kit my wife just gets this scared look on her face. She's convinced that I'll just order them on they fly at some point. Unfortunately, I have too much sense to do that. Need to finish the home theater and pay off the boat first. Then I'll resort to begging for parts.....
The positive? Everytime my 3-year old daughter rides in the car she says "Go faster daddy!" Music to my ears. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 08:15 PM

Wonderful thing about putting the wife in the driver's seat in competition. She wants parts pretty much as bad as I do. Heck, having a wife like mine is pretty much like bieng married to your best college buddy but not as gross during intimate moments. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Some of you guys should give it a try, some will unleash a monster and some will find out if their wife/girlfriend is a liability driving their car. Good luck, just tell her to put it to the wood, there is a rev limiter anyway, just make sure you are in no danger of harming innocent bystanders. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhof303 @ February 2, 2006, 7:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wonderful thing about putting the wife in the driver's seat in competition. She wants parts pretty much as bad as I do. Heck, having a wife like mine is pretty much like bieng married to your best college buddy but not as gross during intimate moments. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Some of you guys should give it a try, some will unleash a monster and some will find out if their wife/girlfriend is a liability driving their car. Good luck, just tell her to put it to the wood, there is a rev limiter anyway, just make sure you are in no danger of harming innocent bystanders. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I hear you, my friend, I hear you!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 02:06 PM
GT Member

I used to hide parts for my motorcycle all the time , until she would go to work on a day I had off, so my solution was DIVORCE before I ordered the Mustang, now I can keep the goodies right on the living room floor!!!
Old 2/3/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I got my SLP Loudmouths and the've been hiding in my trunk. I'm hoping my wife won't notice the diffrence when I put them on. (she dosen't drive the Stang) Now all I need to do is figure out what to do with my old mufflers. Got room in your office Dustin?
Old 2/3/06, 06:25 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

As you can see I don't have much room. Only my close co-workers even know the stuff is in there. Nobody else sees it. I almost got nailed by HR the other day because she was snooping around for empty boxes. I politely offered to help her out, while I stood in front of my stash blocking it the whole time.

The heater got really hot in the office the other day and the smell of rubber was wafing in the hall. I need to put the smelly M/Ts in garbage bags or something to contain it.

My boss is cool with it but I know HR would freak out. The lady is a dungeons and dragons freak on a power trip.
Old 2/3/06, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I will usually send one part to the house so that she does not think that I am hiding anything. The rest of the part though, get delivered to my mother's house. That is where I typically do the installs. Take the wife over to my mothers house, send them out shopping for a bit, Jimmy (step-father) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] and I install them on the car while they are gone.

Gotta love a mother's love [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 09:46 PM

I would totally hide the parts from my wife if only I could figure out how to hide the money from her... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 12:17 AM
V6 Member

I have a wife and 5 kids and we waited a LONG time to buy this car... She's 100% behind me getting mods as long as we've got the money and the house stays in one piece! She's a real doll and loves my car as much as I do. She's my best friend and I wouldn't think of hiding something from her... Been married for 23 years and that's WAAAAY more important to me than my car!
Still, I still sing the same song to her each day - "thank you, thank you, thank you for my car..."
It seems that she has as much fun watching me play with my car as I do playing with it!!

Joe
Old 2/4/06, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

My BMR springs arrived Thursday--big, heavy, clanky box, so no hope of that one slipping through unnoticed. I got home from work and my wife gave me "the look" and asked what I ordered this time. Of course I was completely honest and told her it was a part for the furnace. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] (I'm in the middle of finishing our basement).

She believed me for about 30 seconds until I started laughing. Then I changed tactics and went for the "but they were half off" line of reasoning. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 06:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Import-Slaya @ February 4, 2006, 7:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My BMR springs arrived Thursday--big, heavy, clanky box, so no hope of that one slipping through unnoticed. I got home from work and my wife gave me "the look" and asked what I ordered this time. Of course I was completely honest and told her it was a part for the furnace. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] (I'm in the middle of finishing our basement).

She believed me for about 30 seconds until I started laughing. Then I changed tactics and went for the "but they were half off" line of reasoning. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

That's a good one about the furance parts. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ February 3, 2006, 5:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

The heater got really hot in the office the other day and the smell of rubber was wafing in the hall. I need to put the smelly M/Ts in garbage bags or something to contain it.

[/b][/quote]

That's funny right there... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Co-workers to Dustin: " Why does it smell like a tire store around your office??". Dustin: " [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] "....Don't mind the big black bags, nothing to see here folks... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] LOL
This could have been a seen out out of Office Space...
Old 2/4/06, 03:57 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Import-Slaya @ February 4, 2006, 5:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Then I changed tactics and went for the "but they were half off" line of reasoning. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Perfect... a woman would definitely understand that logic!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Instead of hiding the parts, I hid my wife. Permanently. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wavey.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]