GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple or Magnacharger

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/06, 01:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickvaz
Yeah, I saw your post. The whine on your blower is awesome. I'm thinking of going with the base whipple. Their website states 405HP. Is that number to the crank or wheels?
thats the non-intercooled kit, and thats 415 @ the wheels @ 6 or 8psi
Old 12/20/06, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

it has nothing to do with the tune. your spending all that money to be limited to a power level. you cant increase it ever. its not a versatile system. its not adaptable. if your gonig to spend 5400 on a magnacharger spend 600 more and get the KB kit.
Old 12/20/06, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
There's A LOT more power to be had with a whipple. You're limited below 400rwhp with the magnacharger.
Ours on our Q525 makes 520+ to the wheels. So you can definitely make more than 400rwhp with these.

While I agree there is more ultimate power potential with a whipple, not everyone wants to make 600+ horsepower. That is a niche market compared to the daily driven customer looking to make around 400+

The Magnacharger will also make better torque below 4600-4800 rpm or so. Take a look at any before and after graph on an 03-04 Cobra making 13psi with the stock supercharger vs a whipple upgrade. The stock eaton makes more torque until the rpm I mentioned, after that the whipple takes over and starts making more power. For the daily driven application you spend more time down low anyway. So with a better price and more than adequate power output, you cant go wrong with the Magnacharger.

Gus
Old 12/20/06, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Well, I've made up my mind. I'm gonna go with the Whipple model that puts down 415RWHP. It'll be plenty of HP for me until I get use to it. The good thing is Whipple has an upgrade kit to transform it to the high output model. I plan on changing the internals in a couple of years and I heard a twinscrew system does better with engine mods. Now just have to get the wife on board.
Old 12/20/06, 05:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by nickvaz
Well, I've made up my mind. I'm gonna go with the Whipple model that puts down 415RWHP. It'll be plenty of HP for me until I get use to it. The good thing is Whipple has an upgrade kit to transform it to the high output model. I plan on changing the internals in a couple of years and I heard a twinscrew system does better with engine mods. Now just have to get the wife on board.

good choice!
Old 12/20/06, 05:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94tbird
it has nothing to do with the tune. your spending all that money to be limited to a power level. you cant increase it ever. its not a versatile system. its not adaptable. if your gonig to spend 5400 on a magnacharger spend 600 more and get the KB kit.

See that's it i'm not looking for a crazy amount of horse power. At the maximum I want 400 at the wheel's. I want to be extra EXTRA safe. I would go with the whipple but I don't want the extra horses and the magna could give me what I want for a cheaper price
Old 12/20/06, 05:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Ours on our Q525 makes 520+ to the wheels. So you can definitely make more than 400rwhp with these.

While I agree there is more ultimate power potential with a whipple, not everyone wants to make 600+ horsepower. That is a niche market compared to the daily driven customer looking to make around 400+

The Magnacharger will also make better torque below 4600-4800 rpm or so. Take a look at any before and after graph on an 03-04 Cobra making 13psi with the stock supercharger vs a whipple upgrade. The stock eaton makes more torque until the rpm I mentioned, after that the whipple takes over and starts making more power. For the daily driven application you spend more time down low anyway. So with a better price and more than adequate power output, you cant go wrong with the Magnacharger.

Gus

Better said
Old 12/20/06, 07:32 PM

if your going to do it do it right. go whipple. it is the most complete kit, down to the plugs, fuel system and all. add in all the stuff to make the magnacharger safe and ill bet your at the price of the whipple kit or close to it. the magnacharger is a roots type blower. Whats the first thing many on the cobra guys did in 03/04? remove the crappy stock Roots type blower and go with a twin screw.
Uhhh You might want to read up on the magnacharger kit. It comes complete... I got installed and tuned for $5500 plus tax at one of the best shops in the country... Not sure how you can beat that. We had ZERO issues with the install and tune... From what I have read/researched, if you want to go way above 10 to 15 PSI, then get the whipple.... If you want to save some money and will stay below 15PSI, the magnacharger is an excellent option. Now time will tell which blower is more reliable, jury is still out, but my install feels and behaves like it was installed from the factory.

Also, the magnacharger does not run at boost 100% of the time, you got to gas it a bit just like the whipple...

Will
Old 12/20/06, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree with the thought that I don't need more than 10lbs of boost. Going over that or over 450rwhp and you're just asking for trouble. What does an engine build cost? Most people will tell you to plan on around $10,000 for a strong block, bottom end, etc and assembly. You can get to those levels with either kit, even including a centri-style unit if you want.

I understand that some people buy kits designed for easy upgrading to super high output, but for me and likely most people, it doesn't make the most sense. Spending $7000 on a blower so that later I can upgrade to a built bottom-end for another $7k to $10k is outta the question. Plus, if I wanted to spend $14k+ on an engine combo to go fast, it wouldn't be in a car that I planned on driving everyday like this one.
Old 12/20/06, 11:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am loving my Roush more and more ater reading these posts. Serious;y, if your not racing the car, no need to go after 450+ RWHP unless it's all bout driving around with an oversized........"Package" :P
Old 12/21/06, 06:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

if he gets the NON-Intercooled kit, which is what he claims he's getting, he's getting a terrific kit and COMES COMPLETE!!!

complete to the blower, 0 degree spark plugs, Ford Racing tune, Ford Racing fuel injectors all hardware, cold air intake, everything!

Good luck with the whipple bro, its a great kit and its reliable!
Old 12/21/06, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if your going to do it do it right. go whipple. it is the most complete kit, down to the plugs, fuel system and all. add in all the stuff to make the magnacharger safe and ill bet your at the price of the whipple kit or close to it. the magnacharger is a roots type blower. Whats the first thing many on the cobra guys did in 03/04? remove the crappy stock Roots type blower and go with a twin screw.

He's right. Roots is 40 or 50 yr. old technology. Get twinscrew!!