GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Wheel Spacers for Big Brake Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/07, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Spacers for Big Brake Kit?

I dont know alot about brakes, spacers, wheel offset etc... So Im not sure this is even possible. Anyways

Anyone here used spacers in order to clear a big brake kit? The rims I have now wont take a larger kit(due to offset) and instead of buying new rims(I like mine) I was wondering if anyone has just done spacers to clear a 14" kit and if so how much work am I looking at? Tips?

I think I'm currently running a 38MM offset.
Old 10/16/07, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't see the need for big brake kit if you don't supercharger, the stock brakes are good.
Old 10/16/07, 04:19 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by buffguy
I don't see the need for big brake kit if you don't supercharger, the stock brakes are good.
Yea, but BIG brakes are better Have a set of 6 piston front and 4 piston rear AP Racing brakes on our '05 GT - HUGE difference over the stock stuff.
Old 10/17/07, 06:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
Two things. I do plan on supercharging within the next year or two. But until then I want the car to be ready to handle all that extra power. So in the mean time I'll be working on brakes and suspension to make sure all the money I put into a s/c goes to good use.

But as of right now I run 20" torque thrust rims which are quite abit larger then the stock 17's the brakes used to stop. Bigger rims, bigger brakes. And it'll look better with brakes which fill the wheel better.

So no one has any experience with spacers?
Old 10/17/07, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I am planning on the SSBC V8 kit which is an 8-piston front brake kit and still have not decided on rear brake kit. almost all big brake kits only require an 18" wheel but i know someone on here posted that they used a spacer so they could use their fanblades with the GT500 brembos
Old 10/17/07, 11:47 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Hey there,

Shoot me an e-mail (pnicholson@stillen.com) and I can get you some info on the AP Racing big brake setup for the Mustang. Have them on one of the cars here at work - amazing. Front and rear brakes available (6 or 4 piston front, 4 piston rear).

Thanks

Page
Old 10/26/07, 07:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Hey there,

Shoot me an e-mail (pnicholson@stillen.com) and I can get you some info on the AP Racing big brake setup for the Mustang. Have them on one of the cars here at work - amazing. Front and rear brakes available (6 or 4 piston front, 4 piston rear).

Thanks

Page
Upgrading the brakes are on my wish list too. Some poeple have say to only do the front as that is the end that does most of the braking. What is your opinion? I always thought that if I'm going to do I would do both ends.

Jon
Old 10/26/07, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-BIL...hippingPayment
These are what I used
Old 10/26/07, 11:26 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
Upgrading the brakes are on my wish list too. Some poeple have say to only do the front as that is the end that does most of the braking. What is your opinion? I always thought that if I'm going to do I would do both ends.

Jon
Hey there,

All 4 corners of the car provide braking to slow the car. If you have the option to do all 4 corners thats always best. Not everyone has a 4 corner kit available though (AP Racing does).

I figure if specialty car manufacturers such as Aston Martin, Bugatti, Caterham, Holden HSV, Koenigsegg, Lotus, Noble, Spyker, TVR and more rely on AP Racing on all 4 corners - why wouldnt I if I could

Page