GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Which One?!
Saleen Supercharger Package form Brenspeed (Stage 1 or 2)
83.61%
Paxton 2200 H.O. Package from Brenspeed
14.75%
Vortech Non-Cooled Package from Brenspeed
1.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

What Supercharger Should I Get?!

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/08, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I found that artical about boost comparison and dyno comparison done by MMFF. They did the test on a 03 4v cobra crate engine on an engine dyno, but you can expect the same shaped graphs that they produce on the 3v. This is an excellent artical to read and a big help in deciding how you want your boost to come in and where you want the bulk of the power. I'm still all for twin screw, power everywhere!!

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ion/index.html
Old 9/12/08, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

To add to my last post....there is a part 2 to the artical, should be easy to find on there web site.
Old 9/12/08, 07:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I suggested the Saleen for you, but thought you might want to know why on Earth I choose the Vortech centrifugal blower...

I already had 4.10 gears and a big stall converter (thinking I'd never afford a blower). So, when the money came along to get a blower (unexpectedly), I decided to buy a blower that worked well with the gears and converter I already spent good money on. So...

Centrifugal starts making great boost/power by 4,500 rpm's. The 4.10's really help get the car going and my stall converter flashes to at least 4,500 rpm's, so at WOT I'm always at 4,500 rpm's minimum. The centri pulls hard all the way to redline, then the stall converter keeps the rev's at 4,500 rpm's minimum on each shift, so my car is always in the centri's powerband at WOT.

A car with a centrifugal and the right combination of parts (that work in the same rpm range) can be quite fast. It's all about matching the right parts together.
Old 9/13/08, 02:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
A car with a centrifugal and the right combination of parts (that work in the same rpm range) can be quite fast. It's all about matching the right parts together.

Or just running a little bit more than 350rwhp can be quite fast
Old 9/14/08, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

IMO, if your going to spend $6K for a twin screw, get a Whipple or KB. They arnt limited to only 15 psi. I dont see why people buy the Saleen blower when its the same price as other TC's and cant keep up.
Old 9/14/08, 10:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I suggested the Saleen for you, but thought you might want to know why on Earth I choose the Vortech centrifugal blower...

I already had 4.10 gears and a big stall converter (thinking I'd never afford a blower). So, when the money came along to get a blower (unexpectedly), I decided to buy a blower that worked well with the gears and converter I already spent good money on. So...

Centrifugal starts making great boost/power by 4,500 rpm's. The 4.10's really help get the car going and my stall converter flashes to at least 4,500 rpm's, so at WOT I'm always at 4,500 rpm's minimum. The centri pulls hard all the way to redline, then the stall converter keeps the rev's at 4,500 rpm's minimum on each shift, so my car is always in the centri's powerband at WOT.

I like Brain's reasoning look at all aspects performance and even how it will look in your engine bay. Definitely go intercooled or Meth injection is an option. Don't get too caught up in the HP numbers game. Not sure if you have forged internals if not you will probably arrive at 440 RWHP or something close to that, most of the blower out there will get you here on 91 pump gas with a conservative tune. You really can't go wrong today with the choices of blowers out there. Some models have more forward capability but depending on what your performance plans are you’re in a good place.

Jed
Old 9/14/08, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
IMO, if your going to spend $6K for a twin screw, get a Whipple or KB. They arnt limited to only 15 psi. I dont see why people buy the Saleen blower when its the same price as other TC's and cant keep up.
I ruled out the Whipple due to the price increase that happened a week or 2 ago. Now about a thousand dollars more expensive...
Old 9/14/08, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

People buy the Saleen because unless you're ultimately looking for 550-600+ rwhp, it will do the job and make tons of torque down low. When you say "can't keep up" you should preface that by saying "can't keep up if you want more power than 99.9% of any street car will have" lol, plus you can start off with it and maintain your factory warrenty, which that is of interest to some people.
Old 9/14/08, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
People buy the Saleen because unless you're ultimately looking for 550-600+ rwhp, it will do the job and make tons of torque down low. When you say "can't keep up" you should preface that by saying "can't keep up if you want more power than 99.9% of any street car will have" lol, plus you can start off with it and maintain your factory warrenty, which that is of interest to some people.

True. I guess the fact that it cant go past 15 psi while its competitors can go up to 24 is what turns me away from it.

Now if I found one for uber cheap, then yeah I'd get it haha.
Old 9/14/08, 01:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

True. I guess the fact that it cant go past 15 psi while its competitors can go up to 24 is what turns me away from it.

Now if I found one for uber cheap, then yeah I'd get it haha.

That's cool, I dig it...... I see you have a turbo planned, it will certainly make mega boost if you want it to.
Old 9/14/08, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm a KB guy myself, wanted the option of going 20+ psi once I blew my stock motor up and went built, plus I liked where the put the air filter, outside the engine compartment. And, polished aluminum is purty!

But, for your choices, Saleen Breenspeed kit is the way to go. I'd get an intercooler without a doubt! Then again, I just jogged 6 miles in 97F/110F heat index, so maybe I'm just hot? Ha!

One look under Tom's hood and his track numbers would make up my mind.
Old 9/14/08, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

saleen!!!!
Old 9/14/08, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I
But, for your choices, Saleen Breenspeed kit is the way to go. I'd get an intercooler without a doubt! Then again, I just jogged 6 miles in 97F/110F heat index, so maybe I'm just hot? Ha!

Dang man, that's crazy nuts...... I tried exercising but it's hard to run and drink beer simultaneously.
Old 9/14/08, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Dang man, that's crazy nuts...... I tried exercising but it's hard to run and drink beer simultaneously.
Funny you mention that, drinking a beer now: RedHook Sunrye. Yum! It's all about balance, ha!

Back on topic: Saleen FTW!
Old 9/14/08, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Saleen
Old 9/14/08, 03:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HAHAHA...Nice Tom...
Old 9/14/08, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just drove a Saleen Stage 1 today. Man it rocks... Go for this one...
Old 9/14/08, 03:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Poll numbers are quite overwhelming, not that I'm bias to the Saleen or anything
Old 9/14/08, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

With what you got listed. I'd pick Saleen. Don't settle for non-intercooled.

Although I will say I do enjoy my Vortech, going to have it retuned(again) in two weeks with a new smaller pulley. Love how the power takes over and listening to the blow-off vavle inbetween shifts.

I don't know why others are saying there not getting any boost until 4500RPM, I see boost at under 3500 RPM. If I were to do it again, I'd go Turbo.
Old 9/14/08, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

"That List" doesn't show rear end ratio. I know the NA (Jimmy 3s) car has some 4.8- ratio which is nuts! Suspension setup, gearing, and how power is made combine to make a perfect setup. Strip setups aren't always what everyone is looking to achieve.

I know I wouldn't be dissappointed with Don's setup (seen his videos), but I personally have an NA car that I'm looking to do 350 hp to the wheels with and then fix the trans to make it fast on a road coarse.

From the choices listed above, the Novi 2200 makes hella power to the wheels and is driveable all day on the street. The Saleen gets my vote for sexy install and tire melting fun.

Quick Reply: What Supercharger Should I Get?!