GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Which One?!
Saleen Supercharger Package form Brenspeed (Stage 1 or 2)
83.61%
Paxton 2200 H.O. Package from Brenspeed
14.75%
Vortech Non-Cooled Package from Brenspeed
1.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

What Supercharger Should I Get?!

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/08, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Lee, curious why you would say that?

Need to get the Brenspeed guys on there, they're running 10s with a Saleen setup and 5r55 auto trans. I'm honored to be on that list at all after only going to the track 2x with the right tires LOL. Hopefully I'll get a couple tenths faster with practice.
I just think there is a lot of info that list is missing. Telling us ET's with a power adder, and neglecting a lot of other info kind of doesn't tell me anything.
Old 9/10/08, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pwny
That list doesn't prove anything.
Whatever...

Need to get the Brenspeed guys on there, they're running 10s with a Saleen setup and 5r55 auto trans.
Absolutely! All the car owner/driver has to do is sign up and post a timeslip!

I'm honored to be on that list at all after only going to the track 2x with the right tires LOL. Hopefully I'll get a couple tenths faster with practice.
More seat time always helps! And getting optimal weather conditions is a huge factor too. No doubt you'll see even lower ETs in the future.

The bummer for me is that I don't have easy access to a 1/4-mi track, so my attempts are few and far between. I have over 950+ runs on my car, but only 13 of those have been on a 1/4 (the rest were 1/8). In fact, the last time I was on a 1/4-mile track was 2 years ago.
Old 9/10/08, 01:31 PM

I just think there is a lot of info that list is missing. Telling us ET's with a power adder, and neglecting a lot of other info kind of doesn't tell me anything.
Like what else would you want to know?
Old 9/10/08, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Like what else would you want to know?
Engine build, displacement, cams, PSI, just to name a few.

Judging from the times there, a lot of those racers are very serious. I would go as far as call them professionals.

That list you provided does tell me something though... that serious drag racers tend to favor the twin screw type of supercharger.

It wasn't my intent to come off as hostile, I just think that that list doesn't really give the OP an idea of what unit he should buy.

I just don't think the list tells which is the better blower. I consider the types of blowers nearly identical. The only thing different is the power-band characteristics.

Last edited by Pwny; 9/10/08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 01:49 PM

Judging from the times there, a lot of those racers are very serious. I would go as far as call them professionals.
Well, since I know something about most of the top 25 on that list, I'd say maybe 3 or 4 don't see much (if any) street time. The vast majority though are just regular guys like you and me, who just happen to like to take their daily drivers to the strip and flog them... hard!
Old 9/10/08, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, since I know something about most of the top 25 on that list, I'd say maybe 3 or 4 don't see much (if any) street time. The vast majority though are just regular guys like you and me, who just happen to like to take their daily drivers to the strip and flog them... hard!
Maybe you can tell the OP about their engine specs and PSI? I think that would be enough to tell him which is better.
Old 9/10/08, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

Back on topic...
Old 9/10/08, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Just thought I would give my opinion here... I have looked at diff blowers for a while and their power curve. What I have concluded was if you want overall performance and a crap load of tq all over the rpm range and run awsome et\'s at the track, go PD supercharger (like the Saleen). If you want to put better numbers down on a dyno and do not care that you are down on power from idle to about 4500-5000 rpm (which is the rpm range 98% of us drive on the street) compaird to a twin screw then go centri. I talked to Brenspeed he recomended the Saleen, he said he has the Paxton in his stang and the two other stangs at the shop have Saleen blowers, he said the Saleen walks him every time.

Now if you even think about a centri, then push that idea out and go turbo. Turbo offers the best power to boost out of them all, will out perform a centri at the same boost level on a dyno and on the track, properly sized and it should have no lag. I would go twin turbo if you have the $$$$$$.

I found a write up that a mag did, they took a KB, Vortech, factory 2003-4 cobra blower, and twin turbo set up, put them on a 2003-2004 cobra 4v engine, ran the same boost, same timing and same fuel. The turbo took the cake by I think almost 100 hp. I will try to find the artical and post it.
Old 9/10/08, 05:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When and if I get another mustang it will get a centri or turbo. I like how the boost comes in gradually on a centri rather than the instant boost of a twinscrew. I love the twinscrew technology but I do not like how the boost comes in that low in the rpm band. Plus I get killer mpg with my centri and I love the sweet sound of the bypass valves in between shiftsYou can't go wrong with either system its just where you want boost...
Old 9/10/08, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

I got my Procharger Stage II used (2000 miles) for a little over 3 grand... I didn't see the point of investing over 6K when I can reach similar performance with a set of 4.10s and the turbo picks up after 3K rpms
Old 9/10/08, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The bummer for me is that I don't have easy access to a 1/4-mi track, so my attempts are few and far between. I have over 950+ runs on my car, but only 13 of those have been on a 1/4 (the rest were 1/8). In fact, the last time I was on a 1/4-mile track was 2 years ago.

Yeah I here you, the closest track to me is about 2 hours away, plus I work at an ice cream factory LOL so the summer months are pretty busy, hard to get away either during the week OR the weekends. Anyway, back on topic.
Old 9/10/08, 06:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
Just thought I would give my opinion here... I have looked at diff blowers for a while and their power curve. What I have concluded was if you want overall performance and a crap load of tq all over the rpm range and run awsome et\'s at the track, go PD supercharger (like the Saleen). If you want to put better numbers down on a dyno and do not care that you are down on power from idle to about 4500-5000 rpm (which is the rpm range 98% of us drive on the street) compaird to a twin screw then go centri. I talked to Brenspeed he recomended the Saleen, he said he has the Paxton in his stang and the two other stangs at the shop have Saleen blowers, he said the Saleen walks him every time.

I . Now if you even think about a centri, then push that idea out and go turbo. Turbo offers the best power to boost out of them all, will out perform a centri at the same boost level on a dyno and on the track, properly sized and it should have no lag. I would go twin turbo if you have the $$$$$$.

I found a write up that a mag did, they took a KB, Vortech, factory 2003-4 cobra blower, and twin turbo set up, put them on a 2003-2004 cobra 4v engine, ran the same boost, same timing and same fuel. The turbo took the cake by I think almost 100 hp. I will try to find the artical and post it.
I wasn't going to say anything but this bugged me!

Thats funny that you said the whole saleen paxton thing because I raced my
buddies whippled s/c mustang a few months ago from a roll and dig ( I can't imagine the results of a whippled s/c being too much different than a saleen). Hes putting down 450rwhp ( I'm putting down 430rwhp). From a dig I had 1 car on a car on him by the time I hit mid second. Shut down at about 90 with about 3/4 length. He said he did not hook in first and when hitting second, not suprizing to me. From a roll he pulled on me which was also not suprizing. He also had a one-piece driveshaft installed after his 450rwhp dyno. I did get him from a dig but hes also running stock suspension with decent tires. Hes getting lca's and brackets so soon we will run again. HOT OFF THE PRESS!!!!, Vid comming soon of SONICBOOST heads up with a 450rwhp whippled mustang!!!

Edit- We are pretty much the same drivers

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 9/10/08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 9/10/08, 08:43 PM

Adam... since you are in Temecula, do you ever get down to the tracks in San Diego?
Old 9/10/08, 09:37 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Yeah I here you, the closest track to me is about 2 hours away, plus I work at an ice cream factory LOL so the summer months are pretty busy, hard to get away either during the week OR the weekends. Anyway, back on topic.
OMG Tom. An ice cream factory. Holy ****! How do you even fit in your car anymore? I would be so freakin' huge. Do you get to take the product home? I can't imagine all the ice cream I could eat.

You rock Tom. Now you need to moonlight in a brewery and live in a titty bar, and you'd be my hero.
Old 9/10/08, 10:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Adam... since you are in Temecula, do you ever get down to the tracks in San Diego?
When you gonna be there next Don?
Old 9/11/08, 12:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Saleen Stage 1
Old 9/11/08, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

You rock Tom. Now you need to moonlight in a brewery and live in a titty bar, and you'd be my hero.

That is the goal.....hahahaha

That is the goal.....hahahaha
I don't each too much ice cream though..... it doesn't go good with beer and whiskey.

Last edited by tom281; 9/11/08 at 09:25 AM.
Old 9/11/08, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well crap I've been planning on going centri for quite awhile now been doing everything around that idea. But I didn't realize that the twin was instant torque I thought they both kicked in around 3500 rpm.... If the centri doesn't even get pumpin till 4500 rpm I think I'd prefer the twin because I almost never get above that....
Old 9/11/08, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by buck
Well crap I've been planning on going centri for quite awhile now been doing everything around that idea. But I didn't realize that the twin was instant torque I thought they both kicked in around 3500 rpm.... If the centri doesn't even get pumpin till 4500 rpm I think I'd prefer the twin because I almost never get above that....
That's why you get gears, to compensate... twins pull evenly across the band where centris at least 'feel' that it pulls harder at the top of the rpms (I say feels because some dyno graphs have proven that to be just a feel, not the truth)
Old 9/11/08, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
When you gonna be there next Don?
Not for a few weeks. We're going to Fun Ford Weekend in Fontana next weekend (9/19-9/21). The next event at Barona after that isn't until 10/17-10/18. We might go to Qualcomm on 10/3.

Quick Reply: What Supercharger Should I Get?!