GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What are the disadvantages of lca's w/rod ends?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/07, 11:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the disadvantages of lca's w/rod ends?

What are the disadvantages of lca's w/rod ends? I ask because what I've been reading about bushings failing is a bit of a concern. Just curious.

Jon
Old 1/6/07, 11:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
What are the disadvantages of lca's w/rod ends? I ask because what I've been reading about bushings failing is a bit of a concern. Just curious.

Jon
Road noise is transmitted directly to the body. Suspension movement is more precise, but that comes with suspension harshness (no give).
Old 1/7/07, 12:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah, the only thing i am getting with rod ends is the pan hard bar because i have to with the BMR relocation bracket, but what stops road noice is the bushings, whithout them road noise is noticable
Old 1/7/07, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Jon
+1 More NVH (Noise Vibrations Harshness), but they flex less and do there job better.

I, personally, have not heard of a CHE bushing fail yet (though I'm sure it has happened and I'm sure it is possible), but I have heard of the Steeda and BMR's failing, a lot.

I had the BMR lowers, and though they didn't fail, they were loud and noisy (poly ends too). The Steeda's are MUCH quiter, but I've heard people popping bushings on launch (repeatedly) with the Steedas, but on the street they work great and really quite.

I'm going with all CHE stuff, allready got the panhard bar on, and have the UCA, LCA's, Anti squat brackets, and K-member brace with torque limiters going on next. Lots of good feedback from other users.
Old 1/7/07, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

steeda and BMR's failed because peopel greased them too much or didnt use the grease BMR sold and used marine grease or some other type. you need the engergy suspension grease BMR sells for the bushings. it is thick, white, and feels like glue. also dont use the grease fittings to grease the components. take the bushings out of the piece prior to installation and using a brush coat the bushings with a thin layer of the grease. this will ensure your bushings dont split or break
Old 1/7/07, 10:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

One more lca question, billet aluminum or tubular steel?
Old 1/7/07, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally, I would leave the Heim joints pieces for "race only" applications. I've rarely seen them stand up long term to the rigors of a street driven car, even when they are just used in swaybar links.

Racers normally keep a very watchful eye for wear on all their suspension pieces, most street cars don't get that kind of attention.

JMHO
Old 1/7/07, 11:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

billet aluminum has been proven stronger but only certian guages
Old 1/7/07, 11:58 AM

The bushings in all brands of LCA's are made of the same materials.

I like the LCA BMR makes that has a poly on one end and solid on the other (the end that people tend to split with poly).
Old 1/8/07, 12:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hadn't given CHE much thought until your post Hatchman. What impressed me is their more detailed installation instructions. Whilst BMR's are good, CHE provided pictures for newbies like me.

Jon

Originally Posted by Hatchman
+1 More NVH (Noise Vibrations Harshness), but they flex less and do there job better.

I, personally, have not heard of a CHE bushing fail yet (though I'm sure it has happened and I'm sure it is possible), but I have heard of the Steeda and BMR's failing, a lot.

I had the BMR lowers, and though they didn't fail, they were loud and noisy (poly ends too). The Steeda's are MUCH quiter, but I've heard people popping bushings on launch (repeatedly) with the Steedas, but on the street they work great and really quite.

I'm going with all CHE stuff, allready got the panhard bar on, and have the UCA, LCA's, Anti squat brackets, and K-member brace with torque limiters going on next. Lots of good feedback from other users.
Old 1/8/07, 11:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I hadn't given CHE much thought until your post Hatchman. What impressed me is their more detailed installation instructions. Whilst BMR's are good, CHE provided pictures for newbies like me.

Jon
Yep, color pictures for each step are good for me, since I can't read so good.
Old 1/8/07, 11:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i like the BMR stuff, so what side do people tend to split, the connection to the axle or to the brace?
Old 1/10/07, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bump, anyone find out where the rod end usally splits
Old 1/10/07, 10:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, do the aftermarket LCA's require grease as a maintenance item at certain intervals, or are they greased for life at install??