GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Warranty Help

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/05, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent a few hours searching the forums for anything that could help me but didn't really come up with much. I want to start doing some simple bolt ons like the K & N CAI and Borla axle backs...But the dealership I bought the car from isn't exactly supportive. I called around to other dealerships including a few SVT dealerships (you would think they would understand). Basically, they all said that anything besides wheels and tires will void my warranty. I know this is total BS since the Magnusson-Moss warranty act says otherwise. One dealer even said that swapping the exhaust would require me to "break the seal of the engine computer." Anyway, does anyone know a way around this or know of a dealership in the tri state area that won't void my warranty because of a few simples mods? Thanks.
Old 7/18/05, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Zach,
Use the search box and read some of the former posts. There is GOBS of opinions....but it boils down to "getting to know" your dealer. I am not sure what mine will say with all I have done but I don't think they can prove I broke anything. That would be like the jeep dealership refusing to warranty work on a Cherokee that had "mud tires" on them...and down here there's more of them than you can shake a stick at.

Keep asking around....try the local mustang club too.

Jay
Old 7/18/05, 09:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by onetorquedhorse@July 18, 2005, 5:39 PM
I spent a few hours searching the forums for anything that could help me but didn't really come up with much. I want to start doing some simple bolt ons like the K & N CAI and Borla axle backs...But the dealership I bought the car from isn't exactly supportive. I called around to other dealerships including a few SVT dealerships (you would think they would understand). Basically, they all said that anything besides wheels and tires will void my warranty. I know this is total BS since the Magnusson-Moss warranty act says otherwise. One dealer even said that swapping the exhaust would require me to "break the seal of the engine computer." Anyway, does anyone know a way around this or know of a dealership in the tri state area that won't void my warranty because of a few simples mods? Thanks.
where you live at?
Old 7/19/05, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Westchester county.
Old 7/19/05, 08:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Exhaust will not void your warranty. Under the section of Ford Factory Specs of warranty work, removing any part of the exhaust system, not including stock factory catalytic converters will not void Factory Warranty. So in other words, don't touch the stock cats or you will voide your warranty for the exhaust. K&N also does not void factory warranty. Besides they cant do anything about your warranty unless something goes wrong with the car, just do it!
Old 7/19/05, 08:22 AM
GT Member

I'm waiting for a call back from the dealership but I might just probably do it anyway. Besides if I switch out the K & N before servicing, there is no trace that it was ever there right? For the exhaust, where does it say that in wrting about the warranty?
Old 7/19/05, 08:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

the info given about exhaust deal was given to me by a Ford Mechanic & Service Manager. Every other part you put on the car falls under the Magnusson-Moss warranty Act, something has to go wrong with the car and the part has to be the area of the fix in order for them to void ur warranty, so go with it, put the borla's on and put the K&N on, and if they refuse to do work on your vehicle, I'd flash them the warranty act in their face and go for a lawsuit or somethhing
Old 7/19/05, 09:04 AM
FR500 Member

Nobody will give you a straight answer on a hypothetical question. Just do it, and don't worry about it until you MAY have some problem down the road that MAY have something to do with a mod you did.

Break the seal on the computer.... that's a good one!
Old 7/19/05, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess it all depends on the dealer. I took the opposite approach - full disclosure. My dealer is aware of all my mods. The dealer and I have an agreement - if the mods are not the cause of an issue the dealer will cover the problem under warranty. If my mods are the cause I pay the bill. So far none of my issues are a result of the mods and all visits to the dealer have been covered by warranty.

PS: The one ABS issue I had resulted in a $2,000.00 repair bill - covered by warranty.