GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Want to upgrade Tires, what is the best 255 50 17

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/07, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Want to upgrade Tires, what is the best 255 50 17

Trying to pick a tire is driving me nuts, I am looking and reading about the kuhmo SPT, Fusion ZRI, BFG KDWS, Hankook Ventas, Bridgestone RE750,Riken.
I am open to other tire suggestions as well. I actually liked the stock Pirelli's, but after 15,000 miles the wet traction went away QUICK, especially taking off from lights!!
I want a good looking tire that perfoms , has a fat tread pattern, will make noise and smoke when doing that rare burnout on takeoff...lol, and must be good in the rain, hopefully having a tread pattern that will not lose the wet traction after 15,000 miles....cmon guys, steer me in the right direction!

Thanks...Dave
Old 7/11/07, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto NT 555 or NT 450.
Old 7/12/07, 12:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have the Fuzions and I like them so far. I have about 15,000 miles on them and the still grip really well in the rain. I would buy them again.
Old 7/12/07, 12:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I would not go with nitto considering you live in Connecticut... I bet you see your fair share of cold weather... Is your mustang a daily driver? If so the Nittos are not very good for weather around or below freezing defiantly more of a summer tire... I have heard basically nothing but good things about the BFG KDW2s... I am about to put a set of KDW2s on my car 255 50 17 as well
Old 7/12/07, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

but the only trouble is I am having trouble finding KDW2s in that size... forgot to mention that little bit... Is it possible to find the KDW2s in this size anyone?
Old 7/12/07, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From a design standpoint you'll find that the ZRIi's and RE750's are very similar... Bridgestone used the RE750 design as a template when designing the ZRi's. From experience I can tell you that the ZRi's are summer tires. After running the ZRi's for the last couple of months I can say without hesitation that the ZRi's are awesome tires. They're quiet and they really fill up the wheel wells!
Old 7/12/07, 08:26 AM

I have BFG KDW-2's and am happy with them as far as dry traction/wet traction/tread pattern design (looks)/price, but I wish they were a little quieter. I've never driven my car with any other tire, but the KDW-2's are a little louder than I'd prefer. Only have 7600 miles on them though and don't drive it when it's below freezing.

As far as using them drag racing...see time in sig.
Old 7/12/07, 08:56 AM

When a company says its a summer tire and not good for temps below freezing, does that mean you can't drive it when it is 28 degrees outside and dry? I DD my car but do not drive it in the snow, sleet, or ice. Am I safe using the Bridgestone 750s in a 255 50 17? In OK we rarely see temps below freezing but when we do it is usually dry.
Old 7/12/07, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by cobra4548
When a company says its a summer tire and not good for temps below freezing, does that mean you can't drive it when it is 28 degrees outside and dry? I DD my car but do not drive it in the snow, sleet, or ice. Am I safe using the Bridgestone 750s in a 255 50 17? In OK we rarely see temps below freezing but when we do it is usually dry.
Your "V" patten tire ( like the 750) are the best in rain. The Good Year F1 is probably the best, but pricey. 99% of the "V" pattern really channel the water out. However, if you drive in snow forget it... Most aggressive "V" Tread pattern does empty for poo. I think that's why the manf. say don't use in winter. You might wanna look the Potenza Re950. Seems to handle all conditions well.

We live in OK Jeff... really how much does it snow!
Old 7/12/07, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
but the only trouble is I am having trouble finding KDW2s in that size... forgot to mention that little bit... Is it possible to find the KDW2s in this size anyone?
No KDW's for you in that size, if you wanted BFG in that size, you will have to go with KDWS all season/ Z rated!
Old 7/12/07, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Scott
I have the Fuzions and I like them so far. I have about 15,000 miles on them and the still grip really well in the rain. I would buy them again.
Do you have the ZRI or the HRI, also, when you do burnout taking off, do the tires scream ( make noise) or are they quiet, how about smoke
Old 7/12/07, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hoops
I have BFG KDW-2's and am happy with them as far as dry traction/wet traction/tread pattern design (looks)/price, but I wish they were a little quieter. I've never driven my car with any other tire, but the KDW-2's are a little louder than I'd prefer. Only have 7600 miles on them though and don't drive it when it's below freezing.

As far as using them drag racing...see time in sig.
Please dont trake this wrong, but I would like to keep this thread strictly about 255 50 17 size tires and nothing else.

The 255 going on the stock wheel looks great and improves handling, increases width, and maintains stock height.
I just cant justify all that money for new rims right now, so with the 255's, I can make a gain in performance and looks, and not break the bank!
Besides, with my one inch spacers in the back and spinners, it looks like they are staggered sizes anyway, and look great...I happen to like the bullits ...one of the few, I know...lol
In my opinion, this is the size tire the car should have came with stock!
Not a lot of people make tires in this size though
Old 7/12/07, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
I would not go with nitto considering you live in Connecticut... I bet you see your fair share of cold weather... Is your mustang a daily driver? If so the Nittos are not very good for weather around or below freezing defiantly more of a summer tire... I have heard basically nothing but good things about the BFG KDW2s... I am about to put a set of KDW2s on my car 255 50 17 as well

My Stang is a DD, but it gets put up as soon as it snows for the first time, usually for about 3 months. Last year I drove it right into Feb due to the lack of snow...but it did see some cold though.

And thank you everybody for the reply's to this thread, keep em coming!!!
Old 7/13/07, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I run BFG KDWS 245/45/17s up front, 255/50/17 in the back, car has a nice rake with this setup, the tires however are not a good tire for winter, pretty rough riding and poor traction, they do seem to be ok when its warm, ride is improved somewhat and traction is fair, I decided that I would get the cheapest tires I could find the next time out, something like the Riken Raptor ZR, no tires seem to last like you think anymore, especially if you burnout a little bit and the cost of some of these so-called better tires arent worth the extra money.
Old 7/15/07, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by soitsav6
I run BFG KDWS 245/45/17s up front, 255/50/17 in the back, car has a nice rake with this setup, the tires however are not a good tire for winter, pretty rough riding and poor traction, they do seem to be ok when its warm, ride is improved somewhat and traction is fair, I decided that I would get the cheapest tires I could find the next time out, something like the Riken Raptor ZR, no tires seem to last like you think anymore, especially if you burnout a little bit and the cost of some of these so-called better tires arent worth the extra money.
I dont know if I would give up tire rotation for such a little change, i have read mixed reviews on the KDWS's
Old 7/16/07, 11:40 AM

To muddy up the water a little more you can add the
Kumho Ecsta ASX to your list. The reviews show a better and more quiet ride than the BFG KDWS. Maybe someone has some input on these?
Old 7/17/07, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If i was to go with the Kuhmo's, it would be the SPT,s. they actually got pretty good reviews on tire rack!
Old 7/17/07, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I just ordered some Bridgestone Potenzia RE750s in 255/50-17 all around... I have heard nothing but good things about them!
Old 7/18/07, 11:58 AM

Let us know how the Potenzia's work out. I have been interested in them also. When I asked about them at the local tire shop they where not real interested in talking about them, but I think it was an availability thing.

Maybe some pics if you can.

The SPT's look like a good tire too. The reviews do seem
to be better on these than some of the more expensive name brand tires.
Old 7/18/07, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

The Potenzias were not easy to find! I called and called and called different tire stores to find them... Noone could find them anywhere close to here... Which is in Mississippi by the way... Turns out the RE750s are a special made to order tire by Bridgestone... So they have to be ordered directly from Bridgestone and shipped to the store... One store found 4 of them in Waco, Texas but they were going to be charged 40 bucks a tire to ship them supposidly and they were going to charge me 1000 bucks mounted and balanced... The store that ordered them for me from Bridgestone said it was only 9 dollars a tire to ship... and only 825 mounted and balanced... That store got my business... Just waiting for them to arrive in 3-5 days!

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade Tires, what is the best 255 50 17