GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

vortech supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/05, 12:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on ebay for sale are vortech superchagers with diablo predator for $4500. claims 480 hp/420tq . is this good deal ?
Old 2/19/05, 12:51 PM

I think the Vortechs for the Stang '05 haven't been around long enough for you to be able to accurately measure their reliability. Unless you like the idea of being a guinea pig, wait a few months until the general consensus gets around of whether it's a good/bad choice.
Old 2/19/05, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

He's Right.
Old 2/19/05, 01:33 PM
V6 Member

Definitely. Also wait to see if that Ford supercharger with warranty story turns out to be true.
I'm thinking Vortech, Procharger or the Ford one depending on the looks.
I dig the looks of the polished Procharger.
http://www.procharger.com/2005_mustang.shtml
Old 2/19/05, 09:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by DarkRed@February 19, 2005, 12:54 PM
I think the Vortechs for the Stang '05 haven't been around long enough for you to be able to accurately measure their reliability. Unless you like the idea of being a guinea pig, wait a few months until the general consensus gets around of whether it's a good/bad choice.
My opinion is, You have no idea what you are talking about. The Vortech unit is very reliable. In regards to a Vortech for an 05 Mustang, The kit uses a very durable plate and spacer design. As well as the proven V2 S compressor, and Charge cooler.

If you are implying that problems will arise as the kits receive more and more miles, I believe you are also wrong. This kit is using many parts already proven on previous Vortech kits and/or factory Ford vehicles. One example is idler pulleys. The Vortech 05 kit will not have the previous idler issues from the gen 1 96 GT kit (,btw has been resolved), because Vortech is using Ford sourced idler pulleys for this kit.

You said the kit has not been out long enough to accurately measure reliability, and that we should wait a few months. Well, this kit has been available to select tuners, (but not the public) since early November. That's more than 3.5 months. I am sure if any problems have arrised, these tuners and Vortech already have resolved them. Vortech has an excellent track record for kit reliability. I doubt any of us 05 owners would be in your words "a guinea pig".

Here is a list of Guinea pigs currently in possession of a Vortech 05 Mustang GT system.

Street Scene Equipment
Bonspeed
Tiger Racing
JBA Racing
Steeda Autosports
Classic Design Concepts

Guinea pigs using a Paxton kit (same design as Vortech, but includes Novi 1200 compressor).

Xtreme Mustang Performance
MRT-Mustang Racing Tecnologies
Falken Tires

Uninformed posts like yours do nothing to benefit the forum. Please do some research or have proof to back up your bogus claims next time.

Go fast and be safe.
-Chris
Old 2/19/05, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TK421+February 19, 2005, 11:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK421 @ February 19, 2005, 11:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DarkRed@February 19, 2005, 12:54 PM
My opinion is, You have no idea what you are talking about. The Vortech unit is very reliable. In regards to a Vortech for an 05 Mustang, The kit uses a very durable plate and spacer design. As well as the proven V2 S compressor, and Charge cooler.

If you are implying that problems will arise as the kits receive more and more miles, I believe you are also wrong. This kit is using many parts already proven on previous Vortech kits and/or factory Ford vehicles. One example is idler pulleys. The Vortech 05 kit will not have the previous idler issues from the gen 1 96 GT kit (,btw has been resolved), because Vortech is using Ford sourced idler pulleys for this kit.

You said the kit has not been out long enough to accurately measure reliability, and that we should wait a few months. Well, this kit has been available to select tuners, (but not the public) since early November. That's more than 3.5 months. I am sure if any problems have arrised, these tuners and Vortech already have resolved them. Vortech has an excellent track record for kit reliability. I doubt any of us 05 owners would be in your words "a guinea pig".

Here is a list of Guinea pigs currently in possession of a Vortech 05 Mustang GT system.

Street Scene Equipment
Bonspeed
Tiger Racing
JBA Racing
Steeda Autosports
Classic Design Concepts

Guinea pigs using a Paxton kit (same design as Vortech, but includes Novi 1200 compressor).

Falken Tires

Uninformed posts like yours do nothing to benefit the forum. Please do some research or have proof to back up your bogus claims next time.

Go fast and be safe.
-Chris
[/b][/quote]

Actually you can't back up any of those claims. There is simply not enough actual data out there to make a claim that these S/Cer's are reliable. I wouldn't believe the manufacturers from what I have seen on other makes. I know procharger had quite a bit of problems with the 350Z. No one can right now say how much hp the 4.6 3V can hold reliably, until then it's all hearsay.
Old 2/20/05, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

Ummm, the Vortech supercharger is the same for the 05 that has been used for years, the ducting is pretty much the only change.

-Dan
Old 2/20/05, 01:31 AM
GT Member

wow, storm troopers sure are snippity little fellows
Old 2/20/05, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by TK421+February 20, 2005, 4:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK421 @ February 20, 2005, 4:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DarkRed@February 19, 2005, 12:54 PM

Street Scene Equipment
Bonspeed
Tiger Racing
JBA Racing
Steeda Autosports
Classic Design Concepts

Falken Tires

Go fast and be safe.
-Chris
[/b][/quote]

Touchy, touchy.

Yes, they've been available to a selection of tuners, but not to the public. I'd rather hear some honest feedback from Joe Schmoe, than a large tuning company that have all the resources, and expertise neccesary at their disposal.

Personally, I don't have a workforce of mechanics in my garage, and I'd feel more comfortable purchasing something like a supercharger (which no matter how much you preach, DOES put the engine under increased stress) after it has been available to the public for at least a 6 month period.
Old 2/20/05, 07:15 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by TK421+February 19, 2005, 9:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK421 @ February 19, 2005, 9:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DarkRed@February 19, 2005, 12:54 PM
My opinion is, You have no idea what you are talking about.

[/b][/quote]

Well my opinion is YOU don't know squat either....

He never called into the question the unit itself..... DUH, Vortech has been around for years, and I'm sure plenty trustworthy.

Maybe if you pull you're head out of your buttocks, you'd consider the FACT that nobody has heard ANYTHING about these new kits YET.

Vortech hasn't changed, but the engine has. There are plenty of good sound reasons to play wait and see.
Old 2/20/05, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think anyone is questioning the reliability of the Vortech unit or related parts.

Reread the original post: "480 hp/420tq"

The *BIG* question is whether the stock engine can handle this type of power. Based on previous years, that would be a big, fat NO. But, this is somewhat of a different engine, so it will be interesting to see if they can actually hold up with this kind of power if they have a very good, safe tune.

I have my doubts. B)
Old 2/20/05, 01:16 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by black gt 2005@February 19, 2005, 12:35 PM
on ebay for sale are vortech superchagers with diablo predator for $4500. claims 480 hp/420tq . is this good deal ?
480 to the flywheel or to the wheels?
Old 2/20/05, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I read somewhere that is was to the flywheel. Correct me if I am wrong though.
Old 2/20/05, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Import-Slaya@February 20, 2005, 8:32 AM
The *BIG* question is whether the stock engine can handle this type of power. Based on previous years, that would be a big, fat NO. But, this is somewhat of a different engine, so it will be interesting to see if they can actually hold up with this kind of power if they have a very good, safe tune.

I have my doubts. B)
i am planning on being a guinea pig soon... but we are going to do some forged internals... what do you think? Whole new rotating assembly, or just pistons?
Old 2/20/05, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rods and pistons, definitely. The stock crank is supposed to be good to ~500rwhp, so you could leave it.

That said, if you are already in there, might as well throw in a cobra crank for a few hundred bucks more. That way, when you get bored with 450rwhp, you can up it to 600 without a worry.
Old 2/20/05, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+February 20, 2005, 1:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 20, 2005, 1:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TK421@February 19, 2005, 11:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DarkRed
@February 19, 2005, 12:54 PM

Street Scene Equipment
Bonspeed
Tiger Racing
JBA Racing
Steeda Autosports
Classic Design Concepts

Falken Tires

Go fast and be safe.
-Chris
Actually you can't back up any of those claims. There is simply not enough actual data out there to make a claim that these S/Cer's are reliable. I wouldn't believe the manufacturers from what I have seen on other makes. I know procharger had quite a bit of problems with the 350Z. No one can right now say how much hp the 4.6 3V can hold reliably, until then it's all hearsay.
[/b][/quote]
The only reason ATI had problems was from the timing, they should have held off on the release date...not to mention the crank and cam angle sensor wire problem that ALL f/i 350Z's are now experiencing problems with, this is why most of the people have blown motors.

Now ATI includes a J&S safeguard timing solution.
Old 2/20/05, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just wondering, what is the stock crank made of?

Also, I agree, pistons and rods are a must, it's starting to look like a VQ35DE.
Old 2/20/05, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Import-Slaya@February 20, 2005, 8:32 AM
I don't think anyone is questioning the reliability of the Vortech unit or related parts.

Reread the original post: "480 hp/420tq"

I have my doubts. B)
I agree. I think the Vortech kit will be great w/ very minimal problems but the big question I have is the engine. Can it handle boost regardless how good/great the tune?
Old 2/21/05, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

That is the $$$$ question, but there aren't really any boosted 05's out there with enough abuse, time, and miles for anybody to say for sure.
Until then, it is just going to be educated guesses and opinions. I would take the safe road by waiting for others to test the waters.
Old 2/21/05, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-BABY+February 20, 2005, 2:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-BABY @ February 20, 2005, 2:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-black gt 2005@February 19, 2005, 12:35 PM
480 to the flywheel or to the wheels?
[/b][/quote]

If it is 480/420 at the flywheel, then this is not too different than previous kits. Take a 15% driveline loss and that gives you 408rwhp, which is right where you want to be.

I still won't be the first one to boost these engines, though.