GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Vert Rear Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/10, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vert Rear Rattle

Okay, been having a problem for the last four months I need help with. I installed new Shocks, Springs, and exhaust recently and I am getting a tinny buzzing rattle from the passenger rear of my 06 GT vert. It seems to come on around 45mph, and seems to be localized to the wall where the vert supprts are (don't remember what its called, but where the speaker and plastic is). Has anyone else had/solved this problem. Sounds exactly like blowing air through window blinds at high speed.

It's not the muffler hanger, I checked those and none are close to the sheet metal

Not sure if it's the seat belt mechanism, can someone elaborate what that involves?

Looked at the shock nut and it appears to be tight.

HELP!!!
Old 1/31/10, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I won't be any help since I can't find my annoying noise either. My is in the drivers side rear and has been there every winter. When it warms up the noise goes away. I can't find it, Ford couldn't find it. I wouldn't exactly call mine a buzzing noise more like squeaking. My suspension is completely stock. I'll be watching as when you find yours it may point the way to my problem. Good luck!
Old 3/3/10, 07:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Finding the problem??

Okay, I finally broke down and took off the interior panel to find this **** rattle. I had my daughter ride with me to narrow it down, and it appears to be coming from here:

Best I can figure right now is the buzzing is coming from the hard plastic wires rubbing up against the metal, but all i know is this assembly area is the locus of the problem. I'm looking for any expert opinions?
Attached Images  
Old 3/3/10, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think I would make an insulated sleeve between the offending parts and test drive it. Foam would work well, if you can secure it in there
well.
Old 3/4/10, 06:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Tried wrapping it last night, the wires are not the source of the sound. Incidentally for anyone who hasn't seen how the vert top works, that silver cylinder moves up and down, and the wires get stretched a bit from the motion, so you have to be careful what you lock down. This is definitely a major bug hunt, glad I didn't go to a dealer....
Old 3/5/10, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you get someone to drive the car with you searching for the noise with the cover off? If you can't find it then, must be traveling to that area from somewhere else, yuck! I hope mine stays quiet!
Old 3/5/10, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There are several torx screws in the top linkage in that area that are known for loosening over time. Check them and put a dab of loctite on any found to be loose and retighten.
Old 3/10/10, 08:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by R Thomas
Can you get someone to drive the car with you searching for the noise with the cover off? If you can't find it then, must be traveling to that area from somewhere else, yuck! I hope mine stays quiet!
Yeah, i did, and **** if it doesn't sound like it's coming from inside the qauter panel up near the rear window now...I may have to break down and take it to the dealer, this is really annoying
Old 3/18/10, 01:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looking for member input, anyone had any trouble with the vert rear window assemby and parts coming loose or the guide wire getting loose? I've been trying to look in the area and this seems to be the problem. of course, it would require taking the side of the car off...
Old 1/13/11, 07:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Bump, anyone have a similar issue?
Old 1/21/11, 03:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a number of nagging rattles when the car was new and solved most thanks to this great forum. The passenger A-pillar rattles being the worst. It sounded like it was coming from the back but once fixed I was a believer of traveling noise.
Haven’t had the issue you are describing but given the recent upgrades seems one must be the culprit. I’d double check the rubber shock seat where the shock goes through the body. I had some difficulty getting the passenger side to seat correctly.
Also, I know you said you checked the exhaust hangers. There is a TSB on center stack rattle. Perhaps performing this TSB might fix your issue. And check all the heat shields up and down the pipes.
One last thing… When you hear the noise, put pressure on the passenger seat side, affectively preventing it from vibrating. At the speed you mentioned on a certain stretch of DD road I get a noise.