GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Upgradability of the Saleen supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/07, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgradability of the Saleen supercharger?

For positive displacement superchargers I'm leaning toward the Saleen. I'm not really a Saleen fan per se, but I just like the compact design and not having to install a big intercooler. Oh, and I think it has the best sound The downside is, at some point I'll want more boost out of it. When that happens, I'm a little concerned about the integrated intercooler..thinking it's maybe too small?

So my thinking was that when that time comes, I could perhaps spray methanol. But I've heard that horsepower gains from spraying the Snow kit into an intercooler aren't very big, because of some kind of vaporization issue. Do you think this would also be true with the Saleen's integrated water-to-air intercooler?

I guess adding Nitrous would be another option.
Old 6/23/07, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I was acually just looking at a saleen blower today. From what ive gathered, it seems the saleen is most efficient at low boost levels. At 5lbs your geeting about 400hp (I dont if its rwhp or fwhp) but at 10lbs your lucky to get 420 rwhp. A whipple at 10lbs of boost is good for about 475 rwhp. I know saleen advertises a 475hp kit, but i think they mean 475 flywheel hp. And From what ive seen the saleen has two intercoolers http://www.lightningforceperformance...-gt-p-316.html look at "in depth details".
Old 6/23/07, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

The Saleen also has a water to air intercooler in use in front of the radiator besides just the integrated intercooler under the twin screws. My intercooler water temps are normally about 20 degrees over the ambient temperature. The 475 HP upgrade kit is approx 420 RWHP at 8 psi
Old 6/23/07, 06:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Saleen sells an upgrade pulley kit that should be all the safe boost you need from the saleen
Old 6/23/07, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

OR, you could get the FRPP (whipple-type) SC, and get it installed at the Ford dealership, and your car still be covered by warranty....just got that exact setup quoted by the service manager at McRee Ford in D i c k inson, TX, for under $7k (labor included). They needed 10 days to get all the stuff, and a full day for the install...which means drop it off Monday and pick it up Thursday if you're lucky, porbably Friday LOL. 500 Flywheel hp (425 rwhp) with a warranty....what's not to love!
Old 6/23/07, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
The Saleen also has a water to air intercooler in use in front of the radiator besides just the integrated intercooler under the twin screws.
Ah, that explains it. I thought it seemed rather teeny.
Old 6/23/07, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
OR, you could get the FRPP (whipple-type) SC, and get it installed at the Ford dealership, and your car still be covered by warranty....just got that exact setup quoted by the service manager at McRee Ford in D i c k inson, TX, for under $7k (labor included). They needed 10 days to get all the stuff, and a full day for the install...which means drop it off Monday and pick it up Thursday if you're lucky, porbably Friday LOL. 500 Flywheel hp (425 rwhp) with a warranty....what's not to love!

That intercooled or non? And they still give a warrenty on drivetrain? ... Wow

I wonder if they'll honor something like that at my dealer.
Old 6/23/07, 11:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i have only heard warrenty on the roush kit, but i have not heard it on the Whipple/FRPP
Old 6/23/07, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
That intercooled or non? And they still give a warrenty on drivetrain? ... Wow

I wonder if they'll honor something like that at my dealer.
FRPP offers both the non-intercooled and the intercooled versions. I did my research on this and read the fine print...if you were to buy a new Mustang, and before taking delivery, e.i. as part of the purchase, you have them install the supercharger, then the powertrain warranty remains in effect and the SC has the same warranty for the same length of time.

If, like will be my case, you buy the car then 8 months later you decide to do the supercharger, the powertrain warranty remains intact but the supercharger gets only a 12 month warranty.

Pretty sweet, given that the FRPP/Whipple seems to have less issues than the Kenne Bell and Saleen. BTW, my dealer is also a Roush dealer, and would also install the Roush SC and keep the powertrain warranty intact. (NOTE that the Roush is a Roots type, which uses more horsepower to turn and produces less boost with higher temperatures than the twin screw type like the Whipple/FRTPP)

I don't see how this would be any different for other Ford dealers, other than the a s s hole factor, of course. I suggest you go introduce yourself to your service manager, and be totally candid with him, and ask him about installing a Ford SC, and wanting to give him the business so that you can keep your warranty intact. That's what I did. In fact its a good idea to do even if you weren't going to install a SC, just for when you have a warranty matter that may be iffy, it can't hurt to be someone he recognizes and is even friendly with.
Old 6/23/07, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Note something that I failed to mention: the dealer said the warranty would be intact if a Ford dealer installed the SC, so you couldn't buy it and have your local speed shop do it or do it yourself, as that would void the warranty.
Old 6/24/07, 12:12 AM

I did my research on this and read the fine print...if you were to buy a new Mustang, and before taking delivery, e.i. as part of the purchase, you have them install the supercharger, then the powertrain warranty remains in effect and the SC has the same warranty for the same length of time.

If, like will be my case, you buy the car then 8 months later you decide to do the supercharger, the powertrain warranty remains intact but the supercharger gets only a 12 month warranty.
It says on the FRPP website right in the product description for any supercharger that it will void your warrantee. If you did find information to the contrary, I'd like to see it, because that would indeed be sweet. But even if that were true, the fact that FRPP put a disclaimer on the website product description might provide legal grounds. I dunno, sounds very grey area to me.

I ask because I just went all engineer bench racer and spreadsheeted a bunch of positive displacement supercharger kits. I think I've changed my own mind. For the buck, you really can't beat the Whipple numbers. It's the only good kit I see that includes a real fuel pump for the same price as the rest. It also seems to do much better at keeping up with the torque than either the Saleen or the Kenne Bell. The only thing I don't like about it is the PCM setup, but there's always the "tuner kit" from Whipple and a nice fuel setup.
Old 6/24/07, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Saleen has many upgrades available. JDM racing has everything from mild to wild and lots of guys have been running their setup for years without any problem. If it is a street car (i.e. less than 500 hp) Saleen is a good choice. If you are going to upgrade I strongly suggest you check out JDM.
If you want really big hp (race). Look to Kenne Bell or Whipple. They both make street versions of which I personally think the Whipple (FRPP) kit is the best put together package. Each has an advantage. There are lots of threads, just search around.

You can't go wrong with any one of the three. But Saleen will not compete with the big boys, if that is what you want.
Old 6/24/07, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hal900x
It says on the FRPP website right in the product description for any supercharger that it will void your warrantee. If you did find information to the contrary, I'd like to see it, because that would indeed be sweet. But even if that were true, the fact that FRPP put a disclaimer on the website product description might provide legal grounds. I dunno, sounds very grey area to me.

I ask because I just went all engineer bench racer and spreadsheeted a bunch of positive displacement supercharger kits. I think I've changed my own mind. For the buck, you really can't beat the Whipple numbers. It's the only good kit I see that includes a real fuel pump for the same price as the rest. It also seems to do much better at keeping up with the torque than either the Saleen or the Kenne Bell. The only thing I don't like about it is the PCM setup, but there's always the "tuner kit" from Whipple and a nice fuel setup.
Yup, just went to read it and the limited warranty relates to the crate engines, power pack and handling pack only, and only when installed by a Ford dealer. The grey area you talk about is how your specific dealer will treat the situation. I have it in writting, (by email) from the Service Managfer at McRee Ford, that as long as he installs the SC, it won't void the warranty on the engine, even if the SC itself isn't warrantied....and I might be able to extract some ort of warranty from him on that too. If I had a problem after the install and took it to another dealer, it's quite possible he would say "warranty voided". I bought from this dealer specifically because of their customer service (free loaner cars for as long as I own the car, for any reason, etc). I guess then the Roush is the other alternative with a warranty on the SC and the powertrain....although when I checked yesterday, Saleen also advertises a 36 mo/36k warranty in his SC...which is also a more efficeint Twin Screw, not a Roots (both manufacturers with ~400 hp applications), but I couldn't do the Saleen 'cause my dealer isn't a Saleen dealer. The Magnacharger (also a Roots type, also advertised an optional ($300 I think) 36mo36k warranty. Note that the Roush Roots type SC on the Roush 427 doesn't have any visible intercooler....it uses the stock airbox too.
Old 6/25/07, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

To start with, $7k for 425hp and not being able to touch the tune in any way without killing the promise of a warranty.
Old 6/25/07, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
To start with, $7k for 425hp and not being able to touch the tune in any way without killing the promise of a warranty.
Hey Hawgman! Are you saying that after my 5yr/60k mi powertrain wty is up I can't take the car to a dynotune shop and extract some more hp?

I like the idea of a "safe" 425 rwhp (translates to 500 flywheel hp at a 15% driveline loss). I thought the general consensus was that the 3v 4.6 was good for 500 flywhel hp on stock internals, and that anything beyond that you should really get a built engine.

Again I reiterate my question from above: the FRPP SC can't be tuned for more HP on a dyno? Or maybe its the $$ that you object to....I'm open for suggestions....
Old 6/25/07, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Im looking into getting a whipple hopefully by the end of summer, and from what ive seen the intercooled version is good for about 475 rwhp which is plenty for me.
Old 6/25/07, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Again I reiterate my question from above: the FRPP SC can't be tuned for more HP on a dyno? Or maybe its the $$ that you object to....I'm open for suggestions....
Hawg just likes to object for objections sake.

I'm pretty sure he is saying that it is an expensive proposition. The Whipple can definitely go up the HP ladder with a built bottom end. The warranty would be out the window at that point and you'd be better off buying from a reputable tuner, both price and HP wise.