GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Under drive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not worth the price tag, plus the problems that could be encountered.If people are desperate for 5 HP why not just remove the aircondition pump.theres 15 more HP......... just kidding, but its true.
Old 4/7/05, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@April 7, 2005, 5:07 PM
I just realized something...MASS is NOT weight, it is volume. Check the dictionary...
OK lets do another test. Put the stock damper in a pot close to the same diameter as the damper. Fill the pot with water to the top. Take the stock damper out and put the Steeda one in. Tell us how far the water level dropped in the pot. :spin:
Hotpony,where are you from in NH?I am located in Pelham.getting ready to go to New England Dragway soon.
Old 4/7/05, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05@April 7, 2005, 4:53 PM
not sure if i understand whats bein said here, UD pullies slow down the turning of some of the accessories in turn using slightly less HP to turn the belt (there is your 5 hp) but I don't get what hermonic problem you think you may incure. I have had UD pullies on some of my 5.0's, dont plan on getting it for the 05 justa cause there are much bigger plans, but i still dont follow the issue with hermonics.
The balancer is tuned to dampen certain frequencies. If it doesn’t work properly then you can have all kinds of ugly things happen. Anything from worn out bearings to cracked cranks.
Old 4/7/05, 07:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TURBO 05+April 7, 2005, 2:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TURBO 05 @ April 7, 2005, 2:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>not sure if i understand whats bein said here, UD pullies slow down the turning of some of the accessories in turn using slightly less HP to turn the belt (there is your 5 hp) but I don't get what hermonic problem you think you may incure. I have had UD pullies on some of my 5.0's, dont plan on getting it for the 05 justa cause there are much bigger plans, but i still dont follow the issue with hermonics.
<!--QuoteBegin-www.fluidampr.com

Crankshaft Deflection - The Invisible Enemy
Each time the air/fuel mixture inside a cylinder is ignited, the combustion that results creates a torque spike - an extremely rapid rise in cylinder pressure. This pressure, applied to the top of the piston, becomes the force that is applied to the crankshaft through the connecting rod. Each torque spike is like a hammer blow. In fact, it hits with sufficient intensity that it not only causes the crankshaft to turn, it actually deflects or twists it. This twisting action and the resulting rebound (as the crank arm snaps back in the opposite direction) is known as torsional harmonic vibration. If not adequately controlled, torsional vibration causes rapid main bearing and main journal wear and possible crankshaft breakage.

Keeping Vibration in Check
Fortunately, harmonic vibration can be controlled by a vibration damper - which is also called a harmonic damper or erroneously a "harmonic balancer". The main purpose of a "harmonic damper" is to control harmonic vibration, not necessarily to balance the engine's rotating assembly.

Not All Dampers are Created Equal
Although harmonics occur over a broad range of engine speeds, rubber and elastomer-type dampers are frequency sensitive - they are tuned only to control harmonic vibrations that occur within a narrow band of rpm. However, there is more than one area within the operating range of a performance engine that critical harmonic vibrations occur, therefore, elastomer dampers may not be effective. The resulting lack of vibration control could prove to be very destructive. Rubber is also a poor dissipator of heat, and dampers by their nature create heat as they work to reduce vibration. As the rubber gets hotter, it does not work as well. Second, rubber breaks down when exposed to the elements. Over time, the rubber strip can crack and begin to deteriorate due to age and exposure. This can lead to inertia ring slippage, damper failure, and uncontrolled torsional vibration, which leads to costly parts breakage.
[/b][/quote]
And for more info, Click here.
Old 4/7/05, 08:00 PM
GT Member

E-mail me to buy a set of new in the box steeda pullies
Old 4/7/05, 08:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

The Fluidampr for '96 - '04 4.6 is #660202 and is 336.00 at Summit. Too bad they don't make underdrive kits.

BTW, the specs for that item are 6-3/4" OD and 6.0 lbs with a rotational weight of 4.11 lbs.
Old 4/7/05, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

the dampener is balanced to the motor, when they balance a motor they dont use the pulleys, they can balance a rotating assembly with just the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and hermonic balancer, so again someone please help me understand why different pullys (which are all balanced (perfect shape same weight all sides)) would make any difference on the hermonic balance of the motor, I have never met an engine builder that said anything bad about UD pullies except that at stop signs on my old 5.0 it can overheat from the slowed down water pump and that the alternator is stressed more with the slower rotation
Old 4/7/05, 08:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TURBO 05@April 7, 2005, 6:42 PM
the dampener is balanced to the motor, when they balance a motor they dont use the pulleys, they can balance a rotating assembly with just the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and hermonic balancer, so again someone please help me understand why different pullys (which are all balanced (perfect shape same weight all sides)) would make any difference on the hermonic balance of the motor, I have never met an engine builder that said anything bad about UD pullies except that at stop signs on my old 5.0 it can overheat from the slowed down water pump and that the alternator is stressed more with the slower rotation
It's not "harmonic balancing"...it's 'harmonic dampening of torsional vibrations'. The balancing is done internally on the 4.6.
According to the Fluidampr catalogue, the 4.6 is balanced internally so the crank pulley just has a harmonic damper. The 289/302/351/400 are balanced externally so the crank pulley has a balance weight associated with it.
Balance
Internally (or neutral) Balanced Engine Means:
All the counterweights are located on the crankshaft itself. In this
case, Fluidampr does not have a counterweight and should not
be installed when balancing the assembly. Balance your engine
with no damper installed.
Externally Balanced Engine Means:
Some of the required counterweight is located on the flywheel,
vibration damper, or both. Externally balanced Fluidampr’s have a re-
movable counterweighted hub. The counterweighted hub should be
removed from the damper and installed on the crankshaft (by itself)
when balancing the rotating assembly.
Old 4/7/05, 08:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

My guess is that a smaller harmonic damper might not be up to the task of effectively dampening the torsional vibrations.

I'll try emailing Fluidampr to see what their comments might be on this subject...
Old 4/9/05, 02:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

so a hermonic balancer pully on a 05 comes with a hermonic balancer, they are not two seperate peices?