GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

"The Ultimate Mustang Driveshaft" with Free UPS-100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/08, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by shaftmasters
You mean the short throw shifter, right? Not to our knowledge. We do have several customers who use the MGW if that helps. As far as aftermarket aluminum driveshafts go, we don't think that you'll find one out there that offers more clearance for short throw shifters than ours.
Robert
I'm one of those with the 3.5" and MGW shifter..... no problems.
Old 1/23/08, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each day this week we have taken at least two new orders for our 3.5 inch shaft. This tells us that you members are seeing the benefits of this shaft and we appreciate your trust in us.
Robert
Old 1/28/08, 07:35 AM
Banned

Just wanted to let members know that when you are in 4th gear your driveshaft is turning the same RPM as your engine 1:1 When you go into overdrive the driveshaft is then turning approximately 30% faster than engine RPM. These shafts which are rated at 8044 RPM 1/2 Critical Speed and 5036 FT-LB Torsional Yeild are more than capable.

A brief explanation of driveshaft critical speed:
Every driveshaft has a critical speed. Critical speed is the point at which a rotating driveshaft begins to bow off its normal rotating centerline.
Driveshafts begin to vibrate as they approach critical speed. If they are operated at near critical speed for an extended period, they often fail. This can damage the vehicle and possibly injure persons nearby. Remember the 8044 RPM of these shafts is 1/2 true critical speed.
Old 2/3/08, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

How many ponies does this driveshaft free up for the wheels?
Old 2/3/08, 05:04 PM

This sure sounds great ........ one quick (and probably dumb) question - what are the major benefits to changing/upgrading the shaft ?
Old 2/5/08, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
How long is the group buy price good for? I'm trying to juggle $$ in order to get one of your d/s...
Old 2/5/08, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrkabc
How long is the group buy price good for? I'm trying to juggle $$ in order to get one of your d/s...
We're ending it Friday.
Old 2/6/08, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In planning a purchase of a DS, I realize the loop is also something you should plan on buying. Any good suggestions on one to get if you get the 3.5" shaft?
Old 2/7/08, 05:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DUSTI
This sure sounds great ........ one quick (and probably dumb) question - what are the major benefits to changing/upgrading the shaft ?
Originally Posted by Larmo
How many ponies does this driveshaft free up for the wheels?

Hey Guys,
I will try to help Robert out a little to answer you guys questions.
Dan,
You will not see any gain on a dyno with this mod. Some say it frees up 5 to 8 hp at the wheels. But I don't think there are any good numbers to prove this. But while I have the competitions driveshaft and I can speak on what the benefits are for a lighter driveshaft. You can really feel this mod in your rearend. (butt-o-meter). The car will accelerate faster from a stop light and the engine will rev up quicker. This is something you can really feel everytime you leave a stop light. To put it in other terms... imagine this. If you had to roll over a 16 lb log or a 50 lb log laying on the ground. Which would take less effort? This mod is worth the money spent!!!
Scott
Old 2/7/08, 07:29 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Scott .......... questions answered !
Old 2/8/08, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Guys,
You will not see any gain on a dyno with this mod.
I am by far NOT an expert, but I thought you would see a gain on the dyno. I could understand you won't see a gain at the crank, but shouldn't you see a gain in RWHP. What I am trying to say is the engine will put out the same amount of hp, but the wheels will gain some.
Old 2/8/08, 01:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so it should eliminate some of the parasitic drivetrain loss, not create any more hp

good way to put it
Old 2/8/08, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Kluski
I am by far NOT an expert, but I thought you would see a gain on the dyno. I could understand you won't see a gain at the crank, but shouldn't you see a gain in RWHP. What I am trying to say is the engine will put out the same amount of hp, but the wheels will gain some.

Hi Chris,
I have read alot about these driveshafts before I bought my Spydershaft. I have no dyno proof of what I am saying. I have read that they will free up from nothing to about 5-8 hp at the wheels. Again I have no proof of any numbers on the dyno. However...my butt-o-meter tells me a lot. The car really does accelerates faster at all rpm's. You can really feel the benefits of this mod. It is well worth the money. But I just can't say it will show up on a dyno. I will be on Brenspeeds dyno this Friday. But I have changed so many things...driveshaft, delete plates, longtubes and they are putting in cams. I will not be able to say what came from what! But buy a driveshaft...it is worth the money!!
Scott
Old 2/8/08, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
so it should eliminate some of the parasitic drivetrain loss, not create any more hp

good way to put it

Yes
Old 2/8/08, 05:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I can say when I went from factory 17" bullitts to 18"x9" chrome deep dish bullitts that it cost me almost 20 rwhp and tq..... by that experience I would think that you'd see some kind of gain.
Old 2/8/08, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I can say when I went from factory 17" bullitts to 18"x9" chrome deep dish bullitts that it cost me almost 20 rwhp and tq..... by that experience I would think that you'd see some kind of gain.

I was present at this dyno pull and Tom is right. Those wheels and tires cost him about 20/20. Has anybody done a before and after dyno pull on these lighter driveshafts?? Has anyone done a before and after dyno pull that will prove or disprove this myth?
Old 2/10/08, 12:11 PM

I might be doing another dyno pull the first Saturday in March....have modded nothing since the last pull, and am getting an aluminum shaft before then. If I do it, I'll post my results.
Old 2/13/08, 10:45 AM

Guys who have installed the 3.5" shaft--does this eliminate any of the clunking when shifting etc? (This is usually attributed to the 2-pc stock driveshaft)
Old 2/13/08, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Interested. Particularly want to hear about eliminating clunking....
Old 2/15/08, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I am going to order a 3.5 soon, what is the lead time. I missed the group buy so I dont know if the shipping is free always, or just for the group. thanks, let me know

Quick Reply: "The Ultimate Mustang Driveshaft" with Free UPS-100% Satisfaction Guaranteed