GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

"The Ultimate Mustang Driveshaft" with Free UPS-100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/08, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well 65 minutes of labor and the stock shaft is outta there.......

But I'm done for tonight..... I don't have a friggin' 8mm Hex-bit driver thingamabob and I need to pickup a 12mm 12 point socket. I got the 12mm bolts off using my rachet wrench but I need the socket to torque them back down.... I used a 1/4" rachet to drive in the 8mm bolts but certainly can't put much pressure on them or else I'll take the chance of stripping them. Need the driver so I can torque them.....

So tomorrow I'll pickup these 2 things and hope to get'er done.
Old 1/10/08, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
But I'm done for tonight..... I don't have a friggin' 8mm Hex-bit driver thingamabob and I need to pickup a 12mm 12 point socket.
Tom, should have read this first.. .
Be advised, a 12pt socket may not fit squarely on those bolts (u-joint to trans output flange), see note in step 11.

Good luck with the rest of the install.
Old 1/10/08, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Tom, should have read this first.. .
Be advised, a 12pt socket may not fit squarely on those bolts (u-joint to trans output flange), see note in step 11.

Good luck with the rest of the install.
Yes I know, I thought I had those but all of my 12pts are Standard and what I thought was Hex is actually Torx.
Old 1/11/08, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much labor (time-wise) is required for a professional shop to do the installation?
Old 1/11/08, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
How much labor (time-wise) is required for a professional shop to do the installation?
An hour.
Old 1/12/08, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Shaft is installed.........

IT IS AWESOME! Very light, great materials, and a noticeable increase in performance with no problems. There is a tad more noise while driving but nothing really noticeable unless you listen for it.... but that's to be expected when you decide to lose that heavy, rusty stock shaft. No vibrations and no problems atleast up to 100mph (that's as high as I've taken it).

Robert and David both were great to deal with, answered all of my questions, took calls before normal business hours, and Robert even offered his cell # to help me thru some install issues that I had.

Great product, great support, great price. Super fast shipping- shipped same day I ordered, arrived to me the next day! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old 1/12/08, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shaft is installed.........

IT IS AWESOME! Very light, great materials, and a noticeable increase in performance with no problems. There is a tad more noise while driving but nothing really noticeable unless you listen for it.... but that's to be expected when you decide to lose that heavy, rusty stock shaft. No vibrations and no problems atleast up to 100mph (that's as high as I've taken it).

Robert and David both were great to deal with, answered all of my questions, took calls before normal business hours, and Robert even offered his cell # to help me thru some install issues that I had.

Great product, great support, great price. Super fast shipping- shipped same day I ordered, arrived to me the next day! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Good Deal Tom.. I had a thought about the extra noise you say your hear. I bet it is the Prothane mounts transfering more NVH and not really anything caused by the drivshaft. Just a thought.
Scott
Old 1/12/08, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Tom, when you say noticeable increase in performance, do you mean the engine revs quicker? I am thinking about doing this mod as well.
Old 1/12/08, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Tom, when you say noticeable increase in performance, do you mean the engine revs quicker? I am thinking about doing this mod as well.
The engine revs quicker (helping to get into the powerband) and overall seems more responsive.
Old 1/12/08, 03:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The engine revs quicker (helping to get into the powerband) and overall seems more responsive.
Thanks Tom! Thinking about doing the DS, aluminum flywheel, and clutch come tax time.
Old 1/12/08, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Tom! Thinking about doing the DS, aluminum flywheel, and clutch come tax time.
I was thinking the same but decided to ride this clutch out until it's gone, so figured WTH may as well do the driveshaft now. Plus Shaftmasters was great to deal with.
Old 1/12/08, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
An hour.
Really? That's an easy decision.
Old 1/14/08, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Exclamation clearance

just a word of caution that will probably get stepped on by the seller of these shafts...if you are lowered 1.5" -1.75" the squat that the car takes on a hard launch or hard 1-2 shift will rub a 4" shaft on the tunneling plate in the car...and may rub the tunnel at the rear about a foot fwd of the pinion. I had to beat and bend the plate and have not done anything to the other spot further back yet...This is what mine is doing with a Coast unit...I have FRPP springs and have tried it with stock and drag shocks set at 50/50....I have non adj j+m lcas and a spohn adj upper...I have cured the rub/hit slightly by adjusting the UCA -2 degrees...could go more but want to lessen the chance for vibes...If i had the choice again i would do a 3.5" shaft...
Old 1/15/08, 05:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06SatinSilver
just a word of caution that will probably get stepped on by the seller of these shafts...if you are lowered 1.5" -1.75" the squat that the car takes on a hard launch or hard 1-2 shift will rub a 4" shaft on the tunneling plate in the car...and may rub the tunnel at the rear about a foot fwd of the pinion. I had to beat and bend the plate and have not done anything to the other spot further back yet...This is what mine is doing with a Coast unit...I have FRPP springs and have tried it with stock and drag shocks set at 50/50....I have non adj j+m lcas and a spohn adj upper...I have cured the rub/hit slightly by adjusting the UCA -2 degrees...could go more but want to lessen the chance for vibes...If i had the choice again i would do a 3.5" shaft...
We agree with what you are saying which is why we don't recommend the 4.0 inch shaft on Mustangs that have been lowered. This is why we offer the 3.5 inch shaft. It concerns me whenever I hear of anything rubbing on the driveshaft. Does the rubbing occur only when you have passengers in the rear seat or all the time? I wouldn't continue driving this car until you correct this problem. It doesn't take much rubbing to cut the shaft in-half, afterall the tubing on the 4 inch shafts are only .083 wall.
Robert
Old 1/19/08, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking of the 3.5 shaft. Can I use the adapter now and then change the pinion out at a later date when I cange my carrier?
Old 1/19/08, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mark221
I'm thinking of the 3.5 shaft. Can I use the adapter now and then change the pinion out at a later date when I cange my carrier?
The lengths are different between the two by over 2 inches so you would have to have the shaft lengthen than. It would be best to wait until you do your carrier change.
Robert
Old 1/21/08, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

How sturdy is the adapter? Im running about 350hp @ the wheels and I do race the car> Its a street car that I race occasionally. I`m just concerned about swapping my yoke out and getting the nut torqued correctly if I don`t use the adapter.
Old 1/21/08, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mark221
How sturdy is the adapter? Im running about 350hp @ the wheels and I do race the car> Its a street car that I race occasionally. I`m just concerned about swapping my yoke out and getting the nut torqued correctly if I don`t use the adapter.
See Tom 281 above in this post. He has our 3.5 shaft with adapter and he is pushing 469 rwhp.
Robert
Old 1/21/08, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am wondering if you had any customers run the 3.5" driveshaft with a Saleen short throw adapter?
Old 1/22/08, 05:07 AM
Banned

I am wondering if you had any customers run the 3.5" driveshaft with a Saleen short throw adapter?
You mean the short throw shifter, right? Not to our knowledge. We do have several customers who use the MGW if that helps. As far as aftermarket aluminum driveshafts go, we don't think that you'll find one out there that offers more clearance for short throw shifters than ours.
Robert

Quick Reply: "The Ultimate Mustang Driveshaft" with Free UPS-100% Satisfaction Guaranteed